Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have worked for companies installing things for a long time , a great deal of that work was on new construction sites or in remote locations . Either way , you can and do have problems or get hurt , and can not get proper attention to your injury for some time …..so you just have to tough it out and do the best you can .
    That is when you find temporary solutions ( most not advisable to do ) to get you by . Thats why its important to hoard prescription drugs , specifically antibiotics and pain killers . Teeth : I have had a crown get knocked out as well as had a tooth break …………I was 1000 miles away from home , thats when I found out that epoxy putty will hold the crown in place for months if need be , and also make a broken tooth usable , I have not tried plumbers epoxy , but that would work , just douche the area several times with listerine , until the pain goes away , then put the epoxy putty on . THen hit yourself with the antibiotics . I have had an ankle twist , so bad that I had to cut the sock off my foot to get at it , my solution ? pain killers , a bottle of brandy , ice over the weekend , got hurt friday , drunk all weekend , back to work monday morning ….but I felt nothing lol .

Other things not so pleasant that I wont mention here , just make sure you have an idea on how to improvise in the conditions you find yourself in , know what to do , it may not be the best for you , but know what you need to do to get you by until you can get whatever it is looked at properly .
    Things to have with you at all times , when your far from home : DRUGS , suture needle/thread combo , 3M 1/4 x 4 inch adhesive suture strips , small bottle of betadine solution . Israeli bandage ( the 6 inch vacuum packed green ) they dont take up much space , A german Army triangle bandana/scarf ( many uses , they are BIG , and can be used as a sling for a broken arm or a bandage ) 4 inch military burn dressing ( modern issue , gel bandage ) , tweezers ( not the walmart crap , get a stainless surgical needle nose type ) , eye drops .
    just my 2 cents .

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

This is fantastic, thank you Tolik!

I wanted to add my 2c about stocking some clove oil. Just a couple-to-a-few drops of this stuff applied directly or mixed with 1/4 t. water will take care of dental pain, and whereas the alcohol numbing from Listerine wears off pretty quickly, the clove oil lasts a really long time. Since you’re using only a very little, the bottle lasts a long time, too. I got a 4 oz bottle on Amazon for around $15, so it is not expensive in terms of medical supplies.

Because it’s safe for mucous membrane usage, it is also excellent for puncture wounds, which can be difficult to disinfect. I have successfully used it on cat bites for disinfection and healing, because you can drop it right down into the wound. Boy it’ll burn like mad, but I have never had any advanced issues from cat bites when working with rescue animals, using this stuff, and if you know anything about them, you know it’s 50/50 that you’ll get something pretty savage under normal conditions. I am sure it’d be good for other puncture wounds like from nails. Again, it takes very little and so it is an enduring supply.

Or you could plant a myrtle tree if you’re bugging in; its buds are where clove oil comes from. :)

(Edit: I should point out that it’s a specific myrtle-species tree that is native to Asia, so your mileage may vary!)

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I used listerine , strictly for cleaning it out and killing any immediate germs , not really to numb anything down , The yellow type , not the candy flavors lol . I will try the clove oil , good tip .

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Tolik: Solid advice! Thank you for sharing! I’d never heard about epoxy putty for teeth. Definitely something to consider.
    Anika: I’ve heard about clove oil for tooth pain, but never tried it. You definitely know what you’re talking about so I’ll certainly be buying some soon!

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

i must pick up some clove oil, and epoxy.
    any thaughts on quik clot? i got a kit together for one person, one gun shot wound, and im looking for a clottting agent.

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Darin,
    I can highly recommend silver nitrate for cauterizing small to medium wounds. Not sure how well it’d work on a gunshot wound though (never heard of it used for one.)
    I’ve never used Quik Clot so I can’t give you the go ahead on it.
    Hannah

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I’d stay away from quick-clot for a shtf kit, unless you have a doctor or someone who can clean it afterwards. If someone can validate what I know, it’d be great, but the way I understand it, quick-clot chemically burns shut the bleeding. After you get to a hospital they have to scrape out and clean the wound real good.

What I have in my med-kit is a LOT of gauze and other bandages of that nature. Pack a wound with it, throw on an Israeli bandage so it’s applying some pressure to the wound, and get you, or the person with the big boo-boo, to a medical person ASAP.

Again, I may be wrong about the quick-clot, but you can’t go wrong with the tried and true method of gauze/pressure on a bleeding wound.

As an aside, LOTS of great tips on this thread! Hope more people add theirs!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Mr. Red,
    Thanks for that info!
    I’ll ask my mom (a nurse practitioner) if she knows anything about Quik Clot.
    If not, hopefully someone with experience using it will comment!
    Hannah

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Dont forget to hit the ladies department and grab a box of multi sized tampons. Great for gun wounds pop in the size you need to fill the hole.(No pun intended…lol) Then add pressure as well.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I have some more from my childhood that might be of interest:

– Save your soap slivers. Among other things, if you are constipated, they work as a laxative. I will give you a hint: you don’t eat them, for this application. I remember my mother using it when we were kids, but I’m not sure how it works – possibly by irritating the canal and inducing. Or it could be just that the fear of the cure got us to shut up about it. :)

Oil of the mullein plant will cure an earache in no time flat. Again, we got this malady as kids, but I don’t recall ever having an earache as an adult. Anyway, you can buy a preparation online, but an easier way if you live near fields/woods in the proper climate is to just harvest the flowers from verbascum. https://www.google.com/search?q=mullein&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CgE7U67jLYiqyAH0iYHQDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1422&bih=998&dpr=0.9 This grows rampantly in southern Missouri, where I’m from, and my elder relatives called it “skunk cabbage,” but I see online that is an entirely different thing; anyway, it seems to grow in many other places, as well. It has slightly fuzzy (velvety) leaves, and these images show the flower well. I have never seen a year without it, so it’s a dependable product; when the flowers appear, pluck them and put them in a baby food jar (or any other small jar with lid). Set it in the sun for a couple to a few days, and the oil will exude. Use a dropper and 1-3 drops of that in each ear for your child; I guess start with that and use more as needed, if using for an adult. There is an intense immediate pain, then the earache clears up. Surprisingly, I see WebMD lists a host of uses for mullein, but not earache. Anyway it’s good enough info to forward on, as well: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-572-MULLEIN.aspx?activeIngredientId=572&activeIngredientName=MULLEIN.

As with all natural plant-based remedies, test these out before going whole-hog. Not everything works for all people, and some things could cause unexpected allergic reactions in you during SHTF, which you do not want. Exercise caution and practice now! :)

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Gypsy: Important info, thank you! Also good for severe nosebleeds (which I get frequently so I can vouch for this method.)
    Anika: Thank you so much for that info!!! I never knew about the soap slivers for constipation. Wow!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

hoard prescription drugs, specifically antibiotics and pain killers is very important, my mother has high blood presure so I have told her to hoard all of her prescription drugs. The antibiotics are very important in a SHTF because so many things can happen.

Vitamins will be important too since we do not know what food we will be eating which may not have all the vitamins we need.

Hannah Riley, the silver nitrate is great, need to save a lot of that. It is great for burns.

Tolik, thank you for the info on clove oil, will be buying some.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Freedom,
    Thanks for the info!
    Hannah

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

yes all good tips, more info for my family preparedness book. when done i plan on copy’ing the book and sending one to everyone in my family so they have the info i have. thanks everyone…

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Re QuikClot – I went with Celox
    Mr Red- others click here- is a pdf research paper on comparing the 3 so you can decide with info

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.