Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TheyCallMeMoose
    TheyCallMeMoose
    Prepper
    member2

Here is the question i am posing to this forum:
    i am trying to build up a small library of information that myself and others in my group can access for knowledge, but here is my question
    What should i have in it?
    i mean i have a few books on survival and first aid and edibles, but im thinking more on the side of what information can i pull from the internet and print out to put in a binder? what sort of info would i need from the net that i might not be able to access if the grid goes down or the internet is no longer available? i am building this library just in case that scenario comes to life. What can i print from the internet that would be valuable in a SHTF library?

"I'd be a dumbass if i didn't plan for EVERY contingency"

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

If the grid is down in a major way the first place your mind should visit is has ww3 started. Go look up Nuclear War Survival. You can print a million pages. The next question is limited or total war scenario.
    If none of the above you need a new list. Emp, solar, cyberattack.
    There’s a list somewhere here that Selco made up of the things to dissapear first in a collapse. It might be well to keep it in mind for future reference.
    Just in case as they say…. cheers.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Moose,
    Every printed book will be needed. However what are your own capabilities? What will you need to make for yourself and others. What do you want to learn?

TheyCallMeMoose
    Prepper
    member2

Its not so much what can i learn from this information, its what can others in my group learn…im talking “hey how do you do this?” and having the ability to go to the books and figure it out. if im in a scenario like this, what would be the most frequently needed information? first aid, weapon care, food procurement?

And thank you freedom! will definitely be using the pdf!

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

moose,

I’ve spent a good portion of my life – and money – building a small library that deals with this very subject.

The best of them, I keep in two big bookcases. But, there is only so much space. There’s at least half a dozen more boxes in the basement full of books.

Subjects range from animal husbandry to growing vegetables. Fabricating things out of wood. Furniture making. How to create a healthy, productive woodlot. Books on machining. Running mills and lathes. Gasoline and diesel engine repair. Parts fabrication. Books on old skills, like the whole FireFox series. American history. Mathematics. Physics. Engineering. Chemistry. Books on building structures – from houses to smallish bridges. Weapons manuals. Leather making. Leather working. Boot and shoe making., More…

These books are primarily for me and mine, but if we tribe up with more folks, then folks are going to have duties delegated to them. Choose a subject – or two related ones – read up on them, then give it a shot. If you succeed, then you are our new bootmaker/carpenter/blacksmith/etc….

“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.” – Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

TheyCallMeMoose
    Prepper
    member2

thank you so much Mr. Malgus! some of those topics you mentioned i never even considered. that is a great idea and i will strive to incorporate those suggestions.

Profile photo of foodforthought
    foodforthought
    Survivalist
    member2

A few other things in my library:

The entire FOXFIRE collection. Written in an interview format mostly, but definitely has some useful stuff. Still available online

Country Wisdom and Know-How. Get it at amazon or barnes and noble (cheapest online, look for sale prices)

win a bunker http://bit.ly/1ep8cyI

upward and onward

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.