Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Right now as I type this, I’m in agonizing pain, and have been for the past 3 days. I can’t really walk, the ability to run is no longer there, and I’ve been relegated to pretty much just staying on my couch.

I have gout, and this is probably the most painful and annoying thing that I’ve ever had to endure. So, needless to say, the title of this thread is quite correct. When my brother asked me last night how I was doing, I told him that I’d make a nice lunch for a horde of zombies lol.

Has anyone else ever experience this? Any tips on how I can mediate the pain and reduce my chances of this in the future? Anything in particular that I should store away to help this?

Cheers guys

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Gout? That isn’t fun.

Former coworker has this and it was amazing to watch and not experience.

As I recall, avoid aspirin and alcohol, beer especially.
    Go very easy on red meat, yeast and oily seafood.

Go heavy on water. Try cherry juice.

Go see your doctor, see if you need meds to control uric acid levels.

Good luck, feel better.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Our family enjoy amazing benefits from the world of naturopathic medicine. If possible include consult with a naturopathic doctor. It’s a much different approach to health and well being.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Sorry to hear this. I have no experience with gout and so can’t help there but concerning the title of the thread, what you are experiencing is the reality that a SHTF event is going to catch many people in the wrong circumstances. To use an old phrase, would you rather be smart or lucky. Hopefully you’ll be better before the S really does HTF.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I am also very sorry to hear you have gout. Mr. Red I will pray for you to get better.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Hi, Mr Red.

I’m sorry to hear about your gout. I hope the condition has improved over the last month, but if it hasn’t please read the story below.

I have a friend who first got gout then ended up with type 2 diabetes. He was really scared and I suggested a book called Life Without Bread: How a Low-carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life by Christian Allen and Wolfgang Lutz. He implemented the program right away and lost over 30 pounds and put his diabetes into remission. He never mentioned his gout again. When I asked him about the gout a year later, he said, it just went away. He wondered if the diet had cured the gout.

http://eatkamloops.org/diabetes-a-modern-epidemic/

I’m starting to see these so called illnesses as just symptoms of an underlining condition, which in most cases, can be addressed by dietary changes.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10
    Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

All good advice Whirli, but the Dr. will likely recommend meds, I’d say 99% chance, especially if you want them…
    Meds can be helpful, but do the other stuff also, Mr. Red! THEN get off the meds. They will be unavailable during SHTF! Best to do it the natural way, our new friend C has a great plan. That is my general attitude. I have basically NO health problems, I cut the carbs way back and lost 20# very quickly. Very Good approach!
    I am near my ideal weight (in my estimation) but need to add muscle to be at the perfect target weight and the muscle mass will help metabolize everything. It is going well!

Hope you get better soon, sending thoughts and prayers your way!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

UndeRGRond, I have experienced healing with diet too. Using a low-carb version of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet cured my epilepsy along with asthma, allergies, chronic sinus infections, yeast infections and osteoarthritis. More information here: http://eatkamloops.org/specific-carbohydrate-diet-a-personal-story/.

My present research is on ketogenic diets: http://eatkamloops.org/healthy-household-fat-loss-on-the-cheap-part-ii/.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Mr Red, you’re getting good advice here … looking into dietary approaches to treating health issues. Can’t say enough good things about the help our naturopathic doctor is doing with our family. One example is my use of high quality Tumeric to help with joint pain…played a lot of sports early years and took a beating in military service.

“The Doctor’s Remedy: Turmeric for Joint Pain”

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/the-doctors-remedy-turmeric-for-joint-pain/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Profile photo of Still Waters
    Still Waters
    Medic
    member2

For the prevention of gout attacks, changing your diet is definitely the best course of action. Sugar is the primary culprit for many health ailments, which is why people who go on a low carb diet tend to see many of their health issues resolved.

If you can’t give up carbs, promise yourself you’ll only eat bread and pasta which you make from scratch or buy from an artisan bakery. That will greatly decrease you starch load without you having to give it up completely. Eliminate sugary things from your daily diet, such as soda and boxed breakfast cereals.

For SHTF, you’re going to be forced to eat what’s available and without your meds. I’d recommend you look at the book Backyard Medicine .

I’m not sure how appropriate it will be for your location in Canada, but this book is one of the best for someone who knows little to nothing about plant medicine in the US. Just look up what’s ailing you in the index, check the corresponding pages for plants which will treat your condition, find a plant which is available to you, check the info on how it needs to be administered (poultice, tea, tincture, etc.), and turn to the front to find out how to make it. I picked mine up for $10, and while it’s the cheapest in my herbal collection, it gets used the most.

For gout, birch leaf tea, burdock root poultice, fresh cherries, couch grass (needs to be mixed with other herbs for effectiveness on gout), dandelion tincture, meadowsweet tea, nettle top tea, and willow bark tincture are all possibilities. Until you get familiar with plant medicine though, please remember that just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it’s not dangerous! Please consult someone with some experience and be sure to tell them what prescriptions and supplements you’re taking! For example, if you’re on an aspirin regimen, willow bark tincture would make your blood dangerously thin. Any injury could cause you to bleed out.

Let me know if you have any questions. I’d be happy to help you out.

(the comments above are for informational purposes only and are not meant to be a diagnosis or prescription for any condition)

auribus teneo lupum

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.