Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

It’s not a pleasant thing to think about, but necessary. What plans do you have in place for your children if something happens to both Mom & Dad? If it was just us and the rest of the world stayed normal, we have plans for our kiddos, but what about if the SHTF suddenly and took us out but our little ones survived the initial event? Let’s say, an earthquake hit and somehow you and DH/DW were both killed? Not likely you were are but for the sake of preparedness let’s say that your ?-year-old and ?-year/month-old are suddenly on their own.

What can we teach a child and what plans could we possibly have in place that might give them some chance of survival in that case? I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts and ideas.

You can use your own child/children as a example just as I have below

**********************************************************************************************************************************
    I have a 16 yr and 4 yr old. The oldest can handle quite a bit, but she does have PTSD and ADD. She can cook and clean. She knows her way around a few different types of weapons and such.The four year is a four year old..but she has epilepsy. One thing we have taught the 16 yr old is what to do if her sister does have a seizure and how to give her, her meds. The oldest is well versed in camping situations as well as medical and some military.

Just to add as it seems I did forget. My two girls likely wouldn’t be alone longer then a couple days or so as well. Our group would come looking for them and us.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Children need to know where to go and who to contact in an emergency.  It could be that you are temporarily separated.  Doesn’t really matter.  Someone needs to be in place with a prearranged plan, something simple to do and with backups in case the first options fail. Teach them not to panic and think it through. They should not listen anyone being stupid when it feels wrong.

They could be at school expecting you to pick them up and your car breaks down. When everyone has left the building and area what do they do?

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Gypsy, great topic – made me think about my own situation and what I wish I had done more.  My two boys are 20 something and my daughter is 17.  I wish that I had involved them more in the camping, vehicle maintenance, use of tools, etc. that I learned by shadowing my father.  Unfortunately, I let them take the easy way out and become glued to the “idiot boxes” of gaming, TV, whatever.  They all have plenty of common sense, but had I drug them along to learn more and cut out some entertainment time to discuss things like this, I would feel a lot more comfortable.

When they are still little (0-12), I think this shows how important it is to have a “group” somewhat solidified for the IF the SHTF event happens.  Obviously, those in the group would be approved by you and probably family members or really close friends that would be able to take the kids in and care for them as their own.  No matter how much you know or how far back in the woods you get that “lightening strike” freak accident can do you in and leave your family on their own.

Thanks again – great food for thought.  K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Long term it would be a painful event but my children would be taken care of. I am fortunate that my wife’s parents, her brother and his wife and us all live on the same piece of property. Their schools are about 4 miles straight down our road and they are side by side. In a natural disaster they would shelter in place if possible and wait for one of our family members to come pick them up or they could walk home if they had to. What concerns me more now is the “lockdowns” that are becoming more common at schools these days. My kids do not have their own cell phones right now but if there is an after school event I send a pay by the month phone I have with them so they can call us when they need to be picked up. The more I see at schools these days the more I am leaning towards giving the older 2 their own phones. I have 3 girls 14,12 and 6. We have not discussed this topic a whole lot but they know their way home if need be.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Matt I understand your feelings on the lockdowns as well my oldest goes through them here in Newfoundland as well. She now carries her cell phone on her at all times, even though its against the school rules. She sets it on vibrate and actually puts it in her bra out of site.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

My 19 year old she knows a lot more then my 14 year old son which I am now starting to teach. I started taking them to the range to learn how to handle the 22 rifles. My son I need to work on when it comes to tools, he is not into it.

The two do know were they have to go if something happen to me or my wife. They have two options right now and am working on a third option.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Think about all the “war orphans ” that happened during WW2 , lot of that happened on a large scale all over Europe .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes Tolik, that will happen here, In a total collapse of the economy there will be SHTF civil unrest all over the Country and many children will become orphans.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Depending on what happens and where, my kids are covered.
    Not just their own knowledge, but friends and family.

Anything happens to us normally, there are two sets of grandparents making time to get here.
    Friends and co-workers can handle it for the short term.

Post-SHTF, the older two are picking it up quickly and can/do watch out for the youngest.
    The eldest, she’s picking up dad’s temperament combined with mom’s attitude, she’ll be a force to be reckoned with.
    All else fails, several friends would take them in for the duration, same goes for their kids.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

If something like that happens kids gonna be well with my family who can count too that I will take care for their kids if something happen to them.

Kids need to be taught from early age that s..t happens, and it is way that life goes sometimes, but that does not mean that they do not need to learn skills and knowledge how to survive that s..t.

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

There are times when it is a good thing that your children are grown and gone and on their own now. It is the grandchildren that are now at risk, but they live half a continent away and there is little I can do if all breaks loose. The other grandparents live right next door so she would be taken care of if they survived. In case they were all gone, my daughter has lined up a back up. Hopefully nothing disastrous happens, but in today’s world it is best to plan that it may.

What I wonder about more than who would take care of them, is how will they make it without the crutches that they are used to – iphones, TV, gaming, etc. That is all that a lot of kids know now. If you try to take them away, the kids are not doing well with that.

Another problem is that many kids will only eat fast food and junk food. Unless you have prepared them to eat from your storage, things could get rough with them.
    There is also the self control and work ethics that they will need to know. So many today only want the fun and no work. What happens when the fun is gone and work – or at least doing without the fun – happens? If they don’t experience all this now and get used to it, and understand the time may come when the fun and games are over and it is time to grow up suddenly, they will have a difficult time at best, and unmanageable time at worst.

So many children today are completely outside the survival mode. They are at risk for that very reason. It isn’t good to scare them, but reality of possibilities can’t be hidden from them completely. The world isn’t the safe place it was a century ago. Was it safe then? Well, it was more stable at least.

As I said, it would be rough times. Without parents that they are used to, it will be even harder.

I don’t know if I would want to take on the responsibility of other people’s children at this time. If they were not well behaved and ready to be a productive part of the group, it just wouldn’t work for me. There will be enough to deal with if it all hits the fan. I am just being honest here. When they are stressed and acting out their anger and fears and frustrations because life isn’t like it always was, I would not have the patience to deal with them while trying to protect the property and people, do all the chores in a very hard manner, cook and provide for the family. Undisciplined children added to the mix would be over the top.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Libby,

Your part about misbehaved children after shtf made me kinda laugh when you say no patience for that.  I know I’m not putting up with it. There might be a whole new order of dicipline for some kids.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.