Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

in any serious events try to stay off freeways(motorways in the UK) and major highways, there was an accident on the M25 near London just before Christmas and the tailback went for 10 miles and they were stuck there for 7 hours, I never travel on motorways if I can help it, being over an hours travel away from the END of the motorway system helps, I use back country roads most of the time and travel across country. I never let my gas tank go any lower than half and top up when it does. we do a weekly top up shop locally then once a month we do a “big shop” when we get all the extras, the larder is always topped up so if an event happened tomorrow we’d have enough food.

British Survivalist.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Many, many vehicles today have an electric fuel pump in the gas tank. The gas/diesel itself is the coolant for the pump. If your tank is less than a 1/4 full then the pump overheats and fails. Keeping the tank full is a good rule for SHTF and not paying for a new fuel pump!
    Robin

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

oh I’ve done that for many years, certainly the last 15, I once ran out of fuel in a car I had back in the 70s and once I refilled the tank I had the devil of a job starting it again(the refilling stirred up all the crud in the fuel tank), I have remembered that all my life and so have never let my gas tank get that empty ever again.

British Survivalist.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Robin, done the same thing. A small, lightweight bag a good idea. I like the Marmot bags. Tested mine in the wilds of a road trip across Alaska last Sept.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.