Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

As I see it, people will not be wandering the countryside looking for a safe place to be so much as they wil be looking for somebody that has some food to share, either wilingly or not so wilingly. They wil have exhausted their supply of soda pop or potatoe chips or such convenience foods and will have eaten both cans of pork and beans(substitute whatever easy-to-prepare foods are popular in your country or locale) and now will be looking to take yours. Sane people become insane people when their significant others are hungry and there is no place they can purchase more. At that point, there is little thought of others discomfort as your own families are more important. It is like the difference between a Recession and a Depression. A recession os when your neighbor loses his job and a depression is when you lose yours. It does not matter how civilized a population is, civility goes out the window in a SHTF situation that lasts a long time especially if there is no relief in sight. In that situation, the people at your door will not say “since you have 10 cans of beans, we will only take 2 cans and that way you will still have some for your family”. Instead they will take all of yours because they will still be hungry tomorrow. Ron S

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ron S, you are right to a point. It depends on the SHTF time. If it is a total collapse with civil unrest or civil war then hungry people will go everywhere. A Recession and a Depression will not make the population go nuts to the point of killing people, there will be some nut not like a SHTF civil unrest total collapse.

I think that what is coming will start with a Recession then go to a Depression which will bring civil unrest and a total collapse.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

I agree, Freedom, the hungry people will go everywhere looking for food. It will take a little while before they do so, though. When their own supplies run out, regardless of how much they have, then they will go searching. It may be days or it be may be hours. In the case of going to the grocers and finding that their ATM card doesn’t work and they can’t buy food is when the insanity starts. That is when the looting of the grocers will start and then, when the grocers have been stripped, is when the folks will go to people they think may have food. Proximity to a city is the most dangerous immediately but then they will go to the countryside.
    I do not think it will start right away though. Prices will go up first and people will just pay it until there is no more money left and no chance of getting more, such as a notice from the government agency saying sorry no more money until such and such happens.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes Ron S, the problem is that there is more than 300 million guns and some of those gun owners know from the internet blogs and forums that many of the preppers that have stored food for years live in the countryside, farms and all rural areas is where they live. So what I am thinking is maybe out of 100 million of those gun owners 1 million will be ready to head out to the rural areas to take the food away from the easier preppers. The preppers that are in groups that can defend there area will not have a problem since they will be looking at the easier targets.

My point is that it is well known with all the news media about the preppers and moving to rural areas.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>

My point is that it is well known with all the news media about the preppers and moving to rural areas.

yes Freedom, that may be the case in America but as far as the British population and most of the media are concerned this is a purely American thing, British preppers tend to keep a low profile and practise OPSEC and not advertise the fact. British sheeple will not wander the countryside looking for food, one most are scared of the countryside and two “everyone knows the countryside is full of germs” !!!

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Preppers want to abandon society. But they’re told they can’t do that because – all the usual BS explanations.
    Opsec is the main concern now. The state feels the resistence growing and wants to crush it. Who is John Galt.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Brulen,
    I don’t think that’s correct.
    I’m surrounded by preppers, literally.
    And none of them want to abandon anything, their homes, jobs, let alone society.
    They just want to be left alone to make the best decisions for themselves, without interference.

Much depends on what one is discussing, here for example there are regular calls for destroying the .gov, regardless of the impact or lack of a replacement of any kind, let alone a functional one.

What would that do to society? Yup, implosion. And worse than we have.

One has to be realistic, several decades ago a .gov was toppled, the leaders chided and scorned as the new regime took power.
    Some 35 years later the country is still crashing.
    The country before communism took hold was Rhodesia.
    Now, its a picture of the future if we are not careful.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Whirlibird, you have a basic contradiction in your argument. Nobody gets left alone in this country. Preppers prep because they see the country has already imploded. Its past tense. The US has a power sharing arrangement between two criminal parties with a black communist Illegal as President. Preppers in general agree. Get out while you still can. Opsec or die.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

No, I don’t agree.
    The power is still on, groceries are still on the shelves, we still have some semblance of normalcy.
    That isn’t implosion.

Being left alone, most of us are. I haven’t seen an FBI van sitting down the street, haven’t been denied any rights unlike others elsewhere and can still buy what I like.

Privacy? Holding an FFL I have been put under the microscope more than most, and yet I am not worried about privacy concerns really, I am not in a high risk category, I don’t call or email Turkmenistan or other excrement pits, don’t frequent pro islam websites or to put it bluntly, am not doing anything illegal that would attract attention.
    The PTB want to read an email that I didn’t encrypt about great aunt ethels gall bladder, or listen to an unencrypted pjone conversation where my wife tells me to get another dozen eggs, I’m not really worried about it.

Get out or die? From where? To where?
    There’s not enough “backwoods” for everyone to get out of dodge.
    Not enough “resources” for the same.

This is one of the blind faith comments made by so many without really considering all the options and consequences.
    I get out of dodge, my company goes under. My wife loses her job. My kids education suffers. How is that “better”?

Opsec or die? I have a gunshop, everyone knows that.
    They also know I’m the rangemaster at the local indoor range and put on CCW classes.
    When I was a police officer, everyone knew where I lived and when I worked.
    Opsec is one of those things that’s spoken of like its some drug. A wonder cure from all of normal life. It all falls down to not doing stupid things and calling attention to oneself.

Open carry vs ccw? Calling attention.
    Hanging the Gadsden Flag outside the house? Attention.
    Going on Doomsday Preppers? Attention, perhaps a marketing ploy.
    Talking about black helicopters, death camps and such? Attention and not good attention.

Reality is an interesting place to live most of the time.
    Half the town knows what I drive,

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Whirlibird is the glass half full or half empty. You obviously feel very comfortable because your past history, your business, your age, no emp, no war yet. Money in the bank, at least as long as the Chinese don’t put sanctions on it or chilling thought your account is hacked into. Maybe your not a Sony employee, work in the oil patch and don’t worry about your business being burgled but your business can be killed by one government order and your whole life destroyed by a piece of paper called martial law. One B away. One Banking crisis away. You are right … no opsec in your line of work. I’m not giving you any advice. I wouldn’t know how to. Society has been good to you. Thank you for your service. What is reality, its not for me to say.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whilibird does have one thing right! For example Cuba had a Dictator before Castro so the people got the dictator to leave so what happen, Castro’s Communism since 1959 over 55 years of Communism. So we need to be very careful about taking down the government. We do need a government just much less of the government and much less government regulations.

If there is a total collapse well then we will have a civil war of some type and what we will end up with only God knows.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Not half empty or full, but there is room for a Coors Party Ball in there.

Money in the bank, hardly. But if you’re offering to fill up my bank account, I’ll be happy to forward the account numbers.

Don’t work for Sony, my customers work in the oil fields so I am highly dependent on their making money.
    My business can be burgled, but most nights the local PD and SO sit in my parking lot to watch for speeders headed out of town, and they keep a close eye on the place. I work on their guns so it’s a mutually beneficial situation. And I have a very large safe and an alarm that phones both me and the SO dispatch.
    My state has put into place certain laws that would supersede certain Federal Firearm Laws if such were enacted. Not that those pieces of paper would amount to much in an emergency.

Reality is, life happens.
    The excrement hits the fan regularly, to anyone and everybody at one point or another.
    I can sit here and stress out over the Chinese, Norte Koreans, Cartels and every other manner of scumbag dirtball and what they might do. And I’ll work myself into an ulcer, heart attack and early death.

Or I can plan for things that happen such as unemployment, weather, criminal attacks and such. The daily emergencies that effect me and mine closely.

Wars, while they may effect places like DC, Baltimore and Richmond heavily, out here where a herd of sheep stampeding is a more likely danger the local risk is minimal. We chose our location carefully before we moved here, discounting other places that may have been more financially advantageous for the safety and security if this place, as well as the schools and people.

Society hasn’t been particularly good, but after cleaning up after it for over a decade, there have been certain realities in pretty much every situation.
    Most “bad” situations end fairly quickly, I.E. Condition Black, mortal danger is occurring.
    Condition Red situations almost as quickly.
    These situations we train for, CCW/shooting classes, survival training, etc.
    But these aren’t long term emergencies. When they are no longer ‘emergencies’ but they become the norm, such as Selco’s Year in Hell or the Japanese holdouts post-WWII in the Philippines.

It’s the grind that we are really or truly looking at, the long term situations, be they economic, ethnic/cultural, sociological and such. And much of these can be mitigated at least in part with some prior thought and prepping.

Stock market going to crash, get out of the market even if you a little. It’s better than losing everything.
    Economic crash, plan ahead. Use local banks that will work with you in times of turbulence. They’d rather keep making money, even if it means waiting to get it than to lose money, and lots of it to some financial hiccup.
    Food? We moved from a location in it’s 13th year of drought, where gardens burned up instantly to a place where you’re not growing normal crops without a greenhouse. We plan and stock accordingly.
    Ethnic? Get out of Detroit if you don’t look or act like the rest of the residents. Syria? More challenging.
    Every situation is different but can normally be recognized with a little thought.

It’s been slow around here, the slow season is upon me, the shop is dead.
    Pride be hanged, I took a couple of part time jobs that may not pay well but it’s money coming in and that’s the important part. And there are certain advantages/benefits to both, cheaper gas and free use of the local rec center for examples.
    And they allow me to keep the shop open until it picks up or if it doesn’t I still have that money coming in.

What has picked up is the CCW/Shooting classes, people are becoming more aware and realize that they need professional training to get to their highest skill level. And that’s a good thing on many levels, both for me but most importantly for them.

And I appreciate your thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.