Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Lonewolf, it’s the spent rods in storage that could pose problems because they are still hot.

yeah, I read that the spent rods are still radioactive for millions of years, depends on where they are stored I suppose?

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Lonewolf, Read the article, even the power plant will melt down if it doesn’t power up for a long time like one year or more. Also the spent rods need to stay cool and with no power to send cold water to keep them cold then the melt down starts. Look at what happen in Japan, if it was that easy to turn everything off they would have done that in Japan, it is not. There is 1,000% more radiation stored in spent rods because there are so many spent rods. The power plants are all full of spent rods.

Also we really do not know for sure what will happen in an EMP attack if some of the nuclear power plants will blow up because of the real high current that melts the rest of the grid. There maybe many fires from this too.

We just do not know all that may happen. If you read the article you will see that they talk about melt downs at nuclear power plants.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

not much we can do about it, is there? I mean you or me.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

lonewolf,
    I might have room on my spaceship for a few more……..

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

depends where your going, my friend!!!

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Alpha Centauri of course!

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

is that good?

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I am hopeful that they start doing something about this. There are many ways to keep the nuclear power plants going after an EMP including a very small nuclear electrical power source that can give power to the plant for more then 25 years. This is available right now for $20 to $25 million dollars per plant this is a small price to buy for insurance of no melt down.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

only long storage situation is using dry cask storage http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/dry-cask-storage.html

this is still a major problem at fukushima as the pools are not working at all and leaking.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

lonewolf, even if the nuke plants weren’t an insurmountable problem, loss of the grid would be a biggie even for people such as yourself that have lived off grid. The reality is that you haven’t ever truly lived off grid even if your home wasn’t connected. You still bought gas for your car at gas stations powered by the grid. You still used medicines and medical services powered by the grid. Food and anything else you bought most likely was produced using power from the grid. Then there’s all the people that will coming looking for what you have when they run out….

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

they’ll have to find me first, I don’t intend to be that easy to find, my area is a very rural, very hilly, very remote area of the country, a long way from motorways and large cities. I have just been to see a place that is so far off the beaten track I don’t think anyone would find it, off road, long track in, surrounded by woods, private water and drainage, lots of store sheds and barns, now all I need is £225,000 to buy it with…….now where did I put that lottery ticket?????? MB I’m planning on a future world where there IS no power, no fuel, no food deliveries, that had always been my plan all along. in a serious TEOTWAWKI/life changing event the “die off” will be HUGE, 85% of the UK population lives in cities and will be dead long before they even THINK of going anywhere much less actually doing it.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

lonewolf, all of my planning has been under the assumption of no electricity, but we differ in one key respect. I purposely avoided buying an isolated retreat on the basis that I don’t see myself as going it alone. Nothing is ever truly hidden. The locals know it is there and eventually others will find it. Where I bought was in a small hamlet of sorts where I have some neighbors that I can organize with for mutual aid and support. There is strength in numbers to a degree. The few roads into my small valley are easily blocked to vehicular traffic if that is what is needed, and most of the folks have practical skills. There are no large cities near by and my property can be made to be reasonably self sufficient.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

that’s where we differ MB, I have always known it would just be me and the missus, I don’t trust other people, never have, never will and post SHTF that will go doubly so. I live by the prepping mantra” if you don’t know them, haven’t worked with them or spent time with them, then don’t trust them”. I live far enough away from the only 2 cities in Devon(which are small ones compared to most UK cities) and there is a huge, wet moorland between me and them(Dartmoor national park). I’d like to get as far away from other people as I possibly can post SHTF.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

lonewolf, you will want to have a small group that you can trust. Remember that even if you live away from the cities when the SHTF there will be some going your way to take whatever you have. This is why you need to have a group where they can keep a eye(post) 24 hours watch. This means a group of 9 to 12. Two to Three for every 8 hours would be 9 but 12 is better since there will be health problems.

I believe in a small group that you can trust now before the SHTF.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

Freedom, things will be different here in the UK to the USA, first of all the British population will not become refugee’s, going to a family members house, a hotel or a motel maybe, but wondering around the countryside just hoping to find somewhere safe? nope, wont happen, not in any great numbers anyway, might be a few but we can deal with a few. and why would they come my way? there is nothing here for them, and in any case once your outside the local area(say a 13 mile radius) nobody’s heard of this place anyway, its such a small place even if you pass here…”blink”-and you’ll miss it!!! most will head for another city or an urban hub or just “somewhere ” they have heard there might…just might….be food. many will wait for “the government will save us”, I expect in any case in a serious life threatening/life changing event for the “die off” to be huge. I don’t trust other people, I never have and I never will, and I’m seriously not going to put my survival in the hands of some sheeple who dosent even know the meaning of “preparedness” and that’s all that is around here…..sheeple.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.