Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Moose, it occurs to me that you have a unique advantage vs most of the rest of us here in that you are young and in school still. On another thread this past week or so we had a discussion going about the career and lifestyle choices some of us made decades ago not being what we would do today if starting over. My degrees were valuable back in the 70’s when I got them but not so much anymore in the current economy, and of no value whatsoever in a SHTF world. Part of the discussion was about how most young folks head to the cities for careers as do most immigrants. The countryside depopulates or at best stays stagnant with aging populations as urban populations grow. In a SHTF world those young people who sought careers in useful post-SHTF areas and in rural areas will suddenly find themselves better off than their currently better paid urban counterparts.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Bear traps , if they have some friends , he MAY be able to get loose , if he is by himself ……….the only way out is to cut his own leg off .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Moose,
    Most likely things will not change overnight and LE will not disappear forever. Most of us will need to defend ourselves within the scope of the law until it’s clear that no legal entity exists the enforce laws.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>Malgus mentioned the acacia bush. I’m not familiar with that plant but I can suggest the rugusa rose for fence lines or under windows. They are impenetrable and will shred your skin if you try. As an added bonus you can make tea with the rose hips, they are very fragrant and rather attractive when in bloom. Perhaps the best part is they will grow just about anywhere. I had some at my last house and would cut them to the ground every few years when they started getting a little ratty looking and they’d quickly regenerate into lush new bushes in a single season. They’ll even grow in sand at the beach. Up on the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec, a truly wild frigid terrain where mountains abruptly descend into the ocean, the only shrub you’ll find around homes are rugosa roses because it apparently is the only shrub that survives the climate. They will also get as big as you’ll let them via sending off runners that new shoots come up from.

I’ve heard there are whole fields of plants like these growing in western ny. But its called multiflora rose. You don’t cut it because its a waste of time. You spray it with roundup poison. Its uncontrolable. You would be crazy to plant it around your house. It can’t be killed once its established. Back 40-50 years ago the soil conservation service encouraged people to grow it. Big mistake. People lose control of the plants they cultivate and then they become a problem to big to
    deal with. Better you use land mines instead.

Those little triangle signs that say “mines”. Disregarde at your own risk. lol esp under windows.

*Ragnar Benson has a book on how to make homemade claymore mines. Readily available on Amazon. Not very useful though since only the military has reliable C4.

MB…. Thinking about it however the idea of a shrub as a fence would work. We’ve tried Hawthorn as a protective barrier along a property line. They have spikes.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Out here they use layers of cactus , prickly pear for the fence itself , with teddy bear cholla in front and behind that , with ocotillo mixed in , here and there ……………..the cholla is by far the worst , and any body that has lived out here any length of time , wont go near it if they can help it .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Brulen, I’m familiar with the multiflora rose. In New England it grows like a weed in any disturbed soil in the manner that sumac does. I have some on my property here and there. The rugusa rose is a better choice in that it is even more impenetrable than the multiflora rose, and it is one of those hide in plain sight defenses. Whereas the multiflora rose will look like a weed and an unnatural appearing plant under windows or as a continuous fence line, the rugusa rose would be viewed as a decorative plant that belongs there, plus as I noted you can use the rose hips.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

We are in the process of putting up deterrents around our house for long term. Along all the borders, I have planted duel purpose Blackberry bushes and Raspberry bushes, with the biggest thorns we can find. We find fences and hot wire to be helpful as well, if you get a hotwire box with a strong charge for enough mileage and put it around a smaller acreage it stinks if you tap it. I also have some wild geese that think they are chickens. You want a good watchdog, and mean…go for a goose. Also dogs. After a collapse of society, I have more ideas, and the fishhooks are great. We have plans to hand them inside. They may not stop anyone, but we will hear them yell. We have had lots of theft on our property because we live way up in the mountains. My animals are the best at early warnings.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Tolik that cholla is awful stuff. My mom always called it jumping cactus. Lol she said just get near it and pieces of the cactus will wind up on your cloths somewhere waiting to attack when you squat down. Because the thorns have barbs on them you dang near can’t get them out without using pliers. We have something in Texas called Christmas cholla.It is smaller and has these little red prickly pear looking fruits on them. I HATE THAT STUFF. It is pretty to look at but man it is a pain all the way around. The thorns on these have a brittle sheath over them. When you pull the main part of the thorn out often pieces of the sheath stay in the wound. If you don’t get it out it usually will get infected and burns like H#^%$. OH and DO NOT try and mow them down. Particles from the sheaths get airborne and if you breath them in it is bad news.

Tukie mentioned a hot wire. Running a strand about shin high under windows will get someone’s attention if they try to come in through a window. You could also run a strand along the bottom of the window sill. When they put a hand or knee down to come through the window they will be in for a surprise. A friend of mine hooked one to his front door handle when his dad kept coming home drunk. Man what a joke war that turned into. Dad got him back by rigging it to the toilet. That midnight nature call was a shocking experience.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

MB the circumstances I can see using regusa rose would be on the upside of a uphill slope. Not close to a house. It would block your line of sight. Used as a hedge I don’t know. I’ve had a lot of practice in the woods and fields bashing thru hedges like these with my atv. Sometimes I see a hedge encircling a field and in 4×4 I go right over it. i wear protective clothes, heavy gloves. With 8 ply tires the thorns have no effect. Its a little bit of a challenge sometimes but fun. A fairly big atv in 700 cc range is much like a battering ram and can be upgraded to armor like a mini tank. Farmers hate them. At least all the ones I’ve met. Their twerky kids run all over the place on them though. I’m to old for deliberate destruction. If you live out in the country you need defense in depth. People don’t creep around they come in 4×4 offroad trucks and atv and dirt bikes and snowmobiles. So many hillbillies so few 50 cal. guns around. lol

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Tightly strung wire(by tight think piano wire tight) about windshield high would stop at least one truck. Place it right behind the hedge and call it fencing.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Malgus had an idea a long time ago in a discussion with someone in South Africa about creating a funnel or using a hallway and having trap doors that would come down on either end when tripped to trap the intruder until authorities could arrive. Of course in SHTF it would just hold them until you could arrive and handle the situation as you saw fit. I will see if I can find the thread.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>Malgus had an idea a long time ago in a discussion with someone in South Africa about creating a funnel or using a hallway and having trap doors that would come down on either end when tripped to trap the intruder until authorities could arrive. Of course in SHTF it would just hold them until you could arrive and handle the situation as you saw fit. I will see if I can find the thread.

Doomsday Preppers had someone who installed hidden pepper spray nozzles that were activated by sensor in a hallway. A little less complicated. You could also install a speaker with a prerecorded message and video the whole thing. A couple of doors might be considered entrapment.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

You are probably right Brulen but in SHTF it could work.

Hmmmmm pepper spray in your porch misters set off by motion detector. Now that is a thought. Or maybe rigged to your sprinkler system and a panic button.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

Use a mousetrap/fishing line system rigged to pepper spray, they trigger the line and it will set off the trap.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.