Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Hi Guys,

I had the chance to a make another video the other day, this one dealing with a much needed, but challenging, specific cold weather survival skill. What to do if you break through the ice and fall into water!?! I thought it would be nice to share it here with you guys :)

Enjoy!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

TobyC,
    I enjoyed your video immensely. Using the video as a realistic training tool I’m not sure it portrays the true danger of the situation. Would you mind discussing the video from that perspective?

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Toby C, nice video! It’s great to see people having fun with icy water. :)

Have you heard of Wim Hof, The Iceman? He’s very amazing with his tolerate to cold. Here’s just one of his videos. There’s lots on the internet.

Another great source for learning how to improve your own tolerates to cold is Dr Jack Kruse’s method of cold thermogenesis.

http://jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-easy-start-guide/

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

As I mention at the beginning the ‘immersion drills’ are progressive in Nature. This is a very ‘early’ level drill (but still far more than is taught to almost anyone out there), so while challenging it does have a number of safety factors in place around it, put simply, the more the drills advance, the more safety ‘nets’ are removed and the longer exposure to the water itself and then the subsequent stripping, drying re-warming time becomes.

Simply put, falling through the ice is one of the greatest hazards you can face here in the winter and even with the right training, correct equipment and a lot of luck still has a BIG part to play! One of the general ‘rules’ here is don’t be on the ice if you don’t need to be… :P

Does that help…?

Yes, I like Wim’s stuff a lot :)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby,
    Are you saying that this is a drill you have students participate in the water or are you using this so other people can just watch?

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Brrrrr……. Dry suit anyone? Or warmer climate?

Wow. That would suck no matter what.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Very good drill. You do need to have the right tools and training.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I want to see the next drill where you go through the ice in your snowmobile suit and climb out with boots full of water. Will you show us your dry bag before you jump in?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

c, Wim Hof does have the ability to control his mind to pain, cold and many other things. Shows we may have it to but do not know how to use it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Dr Jack Kruse’s method of cold thermogenesis fact of drinking ice cold water and eating high fat and protein before a CT session is great info to know. These drills will help your mind get used to the cold.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Actually, Sledjockey it feels kind of nice once you get your mind around it. I’ve never gone that far (icy lake water) but I got comfortable to being in northern ocean water (about 8.6C) for 30 minutes at a time. Having a way to get rewarmed is very important.

I use Dr Kruse’s method to get comfortable in cold ocean water. I started with room temperature water in a bathtub. When I could stand 20-30 minutes of room temperature water, I started adding blocks of ice. (I froze the water in a pail in a deep freezer.)

Another more pleasant way to do this is using a sauna or hot springs with snow to roll in or a cold plunge pool. It feels wonderful!

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

74. This (one of the) drills I demo and then have the students do, with regards to breaking through the ice.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I think I am more cold tolerant than most but on the rare occasion I immerse a hand or foot into 32 degree water during the winter that part of the body will start going numb very quick. Plan A, B, & C are to not immerse in 32 degree water.

I tended to dress on the light side for winter bike rides because the exercise itself tends to generate more than enough heat but sometimes the cold & wind would work its way through my clothing and there would be places on my legs, feet, or stomach that would have gotten sufficiently cold that when I come inside and start to warm up again would hurt like the dickens, and all I ever knew to do was just tough it out until the pain subsided. Is there a solution to avoiding that thawing out pain?

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

From my experience, no, the thawing pain is your bodies way of letting you know it would be a bad idea to let yourself get that cold again. It is possible to condition yourself to more cold, but whenever I have hit that ‘thaw’ point it always becomes painful…

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks Toby. The tough part is that when you’re outside you don’t know that some part of your body is getting too cold. Your hands will tell you in that you can’t use them but the rest of the body can stay pretty silent in that regard.

Something that I learned long ago for the hands is to wear lobster claw gloves which are gloves that are essentially halfway between mittens and regular gloves. Isolating each finger in regular gloves prohibits the fingers from helping to warm each other. Mittens remove too much dexterity. The lobster claw gloves seem to be the happy in-between.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.