Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Perhaps this is the way it is in all rural areas but it wasn’t my experience where I previously lived. We bought a new car today and it was a pleasant experience despite the sticker shock. We went to the place where I’ve been getting my truck serviced for the past 5 years because I’ve been so happy with the service dept.and decided long ago that our next purchase would be there. I’ve never even been in the sales office before and so they didn’t know me at all. No pressure or niggling over price. I already knew roughly what I should be paying for the vehicle including the trade-in and their 1st price offered was actually a tad better than what I had in mind. They didn’t have what my wife wanted but found it at another dealership, and ordered the car for us. I asked how much of a deposit did they want. No deposit needed. I then verified “you’ll want a bank check right?”. No bank check needed, They’ll take a personal check. The woman we dealt with and her brother own the place. They’re the 4th generation in the family to own it and it is one of Ford’s oldest dealerships still in existence. It’s still housed in the same building from back when they started in 1915. There is no show room. All the cars are outside. The service dept. staff are salaried rather than being on commission so they focus on treating the customer right rather than selling unnecessary service and repairs. I’ve given them several opportunities to take advantage of me and they never did. Where I had been going in MA was the polar opposite.

Their laid back approach is not unique to the area. Back when we first came here I had stopped by a little store and chatted for a bit with the owner. Then I went back a couple months later with my son-in-law, and later that day he returned with my daughter. When he went to pay he found out they only take cash and despite having just met him that day and only having had a couple interactions with me, he tells my son-in-law from North Carolina no problem, just stop by another time and pay me. In a similar vein the little general store that served my hamlet still let people run tabs. Folks in a hurry would just hold up the stuff they were taking as they walked out and the store owner would jot it down on an index card for that person. I’d be there and folks would come by asking how much they owed and she’d pull out their card.

These places are like a throwback to another era, and I love it.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

It sounds like your world got stuck in time – in the good times : )

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Yes, I can only hope it lasts. The little general store burned down and won’t be rebuilt. Not enough business in this little setting to justify the investment. We live in a postcard-like or tourist publication type setting but behind the natural beauty and quality of life declining population and limited economic opportunity to make a living slowly takes a toll.

A follow-up to the new car purchase story is that on the way home from the dealership that day, the old car being traded in broke down. It turned into a very expensive and lengthy repair (electronics controller failed) dragging out picking up the new car. My wife was keeping the dealer informed and after a week went by, the dealer said “you waited long enough, just come pick up the new car, and when the trade-in is repaired, drop it off”.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.