Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Right now it looks like I will be visiting some of my friends in New York and plan to finally do some proper training at a shooting range or taking a course. I have just a week time for this and would fly to the best place I can find.

I look for solid practical advice and to get a bit familiar with common guns and rifles (especially shotguns besides regular handguns). Shooting an AR 15 would be also something I really want to do.

The course / training would probably start with gun safety and basic maintenance and later on maybe some “tactical” shooting while moving for example. Just an all around course that teaches me the basics. I shot some guns before but never really learned proper shooting and handling.

If anyone has some recommendations what I could do as a guy from Europe without a criminal record please let me know. Going a bit hunting after that in the same area for 2-3 days would be great too but that’s maybe asking for too much. Getting quality shooting training and some experience with different weapons is definitely the priority.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Jay – sorry short…think u can forget NY. If u can travel fm there maybe shoot Max at Maxvelocitytactical.com an email – he cud customize training for u I tk but $$? Worth an em friends say he one of best ard east coast

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thank you. Yes, I expected that. I’m ready to go anywhere in the US for the training,

I know Max and heard good stuff about him… but my problem is that I would like to learn a variety of things in one week (because I unfortunately just have this one week) and most places seem to have only very specific courses (which makes a lot of sense because their main target audience are people from the US and they can simply take different courses at different times).

Edit: I wont be able to attend any school or course because foreign nationals need to be registered and approved according to the ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) and all schools I checked only do this for groups.

The good news is that one of my friends in New York was in the army and takes me to Pennsylvania to shoot with his weapons at a range and shows me some things.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Jay,

If you are serious about going anywhere in the US, then you cannot do better than Front Sight Firearms Training Institute outside Las Vegas, NV. They offer everything from basic firearms handling to advanced training. I highly recommend them as I know them personally. I will send a PM to you for details.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

Book Frank Sharp from Fortress Defense. He can come right to your site in New York if you get together a small group. He also teaches emergency medical care, in case of injury. http://fortressdefense.com/

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Well, you got your info on where to go and who to look up…

Bout the only thing I can offer is that you take ONE WHOLE DAY and devote it entirely to shooting fundamentals. Sight picture, trigger control, proper breathing technique, different shooting positions (standing, kneeling, sitting, prone), effective use of a proper shooting sling (M1907 type), use of iron and also optical sights.

You get your fundamentals down, the rest is cake.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks Ghost Prime, I also saw you private message. Much appreciated!

Book Frank Sharp from Fortress Defense. He can come right to your site in New York if you get together a small group. He also teaches emergency medical care, in case of injury. http://fortressdefense.com/

I travel alone and won’t really be able to get a group together unfortunately.

Well, you got your info on where to go and who to look up…

Bout the only thing I can offer is that you take ONE WHOLE DAY and devote it entirely to shooting fundamentals. Sight picture, trigger control, proper breathing technique, different shooting positions (standing, kneeling, sitting, prone), effective use of a proper shooting sling (M1907 type), use of iron and also optical sights.

You get your fundamentals down, the rest is cake.

My friend who will teach me has done a few tours in Afghanistan and is a gun enthusiast (he is just because of his job in NY which he refers to as “communist state”). We will take his Glock, Shotgun and a SCAR or HK -416 from a friend to the range and practice. Later on once I got my gun and shotgun here in Asia there are local ranges to shoot as well, I just thought it makes sense to learn in the US where the instructions are most likely the most sophisticated you can get.

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

Jay, I’m glad you and your friend hashed out the itinerary but if there was any way you could squeeze in a weekend with http://appleseedinfo.org/ while you’re here it would cover everything Malgus posted above. If not, focus on the fundamentals and good luck. You’ll have fun either way.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks! Right now I might not even make it to the US this summer, too much stuff keeps me busy where I am.

Profile photo of temposhot
    temposhot
    Survivalist
    member1

I’m a big fan of Suarez International courses, though the owner has become enough of a jerk of late that I avoid Suarez courses if they are not taught by John McCreery in Ohio. (I’ve known John for years, and I will support him with my money. I recommend his classes highly.) The courses I’ve taken from John are excellent, and they are fighting courses and not just shooting courses. Recently several Suarez instructors broke away and are doing their own thing. Here are links:

Don Robison: http://dynamicresponsetraining.com/
    Roger Phillips: http://www.fightfocusedconcepts.com/
    Dr. John Meade: http://www.statdoc.com/

I recommend any of them highly. I’ve taken a combatives course with Eric Pfleger, but I can’t find his training information. I’ll post that as soon as I get it.

I wish you all success with this.

Scott

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks a lot Scott! I think the problem with me being a foreign national will still remain. I hope to do some Eskrima next year in the Philippines.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.