Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks Malgus, lots of memorable quotes. I think especially if you are with a group without any soldiers and veterans it will be hard to convince them that attacking others is the best way to defend yourself. Especially in the beginning and right after SHTF there will be a lot of hesitation when people still think others are as nice as they are.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Many will  have lots of hesitations till 30 to 60 days goes by in a SHTF. Then they will start to realize it is for real.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Yea, Malgus, Yoda is actually one of mine favorite characters :)

Maybe looks like a bit off topic, but actually it is not:

In the first days of war, when tank shells started to fly all around and mortar round screamed with that scary-cool sound, one older man from our family kinda surprises us with his reactions, he was simply jumping on every detonation sound, looking how many walls is between him and possible explosions, jumping under the table etc.
    I mean we all have been kinda scared at the beginning but our first feeling I think was curiosity.
    All that was new for us. Young people were easily “recruited” for fights in all kind of groups, manipulated, forced to fight, to die in huge numbers.

That older dude was guerrilla fighter in WW2, and in the beginning we all ask ourselves like”how he could fight if he so scared?”
    Soon we realize that he simply saw how people are easily torn apart from explosions, or killed with one small shrapnel from 300 meters. He had one great thing-experience.
    Later we learn lot of great things from his stories, before that he was something like man with”I eat tree bark in my time, because I had nothing else to eat” dude.

Now I am not so old like that man was in those days, and I am not definitely so “jumpy” like he was then, but now I have that experience too.
    And many times I see people eager to go to the fights (of all kinds), and I can see how lot of young and strong folks probably gonna die just because they too eager too die.

I think it is natural, there always gonna be young 19 years old people, who believe in some things, who want to be heroes, I feel sorry for most of them when SHTF next time.

Don’t go lookin’ for trouble. It will find you.

Yep, definetly.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I think it is natural, there always gonna be young 19 years old people, who believe in some things, who want to be heroes, I feel sorry for most of them when SHTF next time. – Selco

This.

All young men need their particular war to fight. Now, I don’t mean they actually need a war, but actually a way to prove themselves in the male hierarchy, to gain respect from other males and also themselves. I was no different. Young, eager, enthusiastic, motivated and zero experience. Combination of dumb luck and a bunch of guys just like me backing me up is the only reason I’m still here to write this…

I’m hoping that when the SHTF, the youngsters will listen to us, Selco… always too eager to race into the ****, and they end up with their ass in a crack…

Got a story for you as well, Selco.. .

There’s two bulls on top of a hill – one old and one young. At the bottom of the hill are a bunch of cows…
    The young bull says to the old bull “Hey old man! Let’s run down this hill and each *&#% one of them cows down there!”
    The old bull looks at the young one and says “I got a better idea. Why don’t we walk down this hill and *&#% all of them..”

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Well said Selco. Nothing like learning from experience AND being able to leverage that experience to your advantage.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Malgus,
    Ever read Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. You hit the nail on the head. Men were built that way. War, be it literal or metaphorical is often their initiation into manhood.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The older men have to help them as much as we can. I know that sometimes they do not listen but we have to try so we can save some of them. We need them for the future.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Freedom
    That is the reason we are where we are right now. The older men have not taken the time to teach the younger men. The divorce rate tells the tale.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

matt,

I have never read that particular book. I think I will have to look it up. I have read similar books, however.

Been thinking about this thread…

You all remember me talking about a certain Captain in WWI named McBride? Guy did some pretty cool stuff that very much applies to dealing with our modern Visigoths…

McBride was having his hand at sniping some of the Herms one day and he took another guy with him. I think it was a young Indian fellow (feather, not dot). Anyways, they set up in some bushes about 100 yards from the top of this hill so they wouldn’t skylight themselves.. at the top of the hill was this old, shelled out house. This was a few hundred yards behind their lines, so they were shooting over the heads of their buddies and deep into the German lines…

They proceed to deck a couple Germans and the Germans, obviously not liking this, decide to retaliate. They called in artillery. They had a general idea where McBride and his spotter were, but not exactly. They got it into their heads that McBride and his spotter were holed up in this old shelled out house, so that is what they decided to attack.

McBride and his spotter heard the rounds coming in and took shelter, but they learned fast that the Germans were so anal-retentive about accurate fire, that almost every artillery round hit the house – leaving McBride and his spotter in complete safety, even though they were only but 100 yards away…

Once the shelling stopped, they waited awhile, then started shooting again. Once again, here comes a furious fusillade of artillery rounds that just pounded the house. Rinse, repeat, to great hilarity..

My point is, is that we did the same thing that McBride did, but where his tactics were largely accidental and a product of luck and circumstance, ours was intentional.

We would build a fighting position – a complete, elaborate, fully capable fighting position with overhead cover, etc – and then abandon it to a secondary site some distance away that looked like anything but a fighting position… this serves the same purpose as only opening one window and leaving the rest closed in a building, then abandoning the building completely and shooting from somewhere else.

The point is deception. The truth doesn’t matter – only what your opponent believes to be true…

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, we have to change the young that are close to us, help them, teach them for what is coming.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Freedom,
    I apologize. That was a bit of a blanket statement I made. You are absolutely right those of us who care DO need to reach out to the younger generation within our reach. We did not get in the shape we are in overnight and it will not be fixed overnight. Guide the young in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart.

Those young become policemen, mayors, governors and presidents. Helping them now will help us later. We just can’t give up. They may not always listen now but I believe in a short time they will see for themselves what true evil is. They will listen then and never foget the lesson.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good story about bulls Malgus!

Young people will always be same, there can be done something yes, but it need to be your kids, and work with them from very young age.

Every age have benefits, where I was eager to go 20 years ago now I will think and rethink about going, and check and recheck my stuff.

Where I was saved years ago because my strength and speed and lot of luck I ll use my experience today.
    When SHTF I will call myself survivor by counting the days that I survive, not by counting the fights that I won.
    I agree that there is time when you must fight, but somehow there is a feeling that lot of people think that everything is about using vilence.
    It is simply wrong, because eventually as more you use it, there is more chance to lose.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt76, No need to apologize. Every life that we can change is a life that will help change a future life.

Matt76 we forget that when we were young sometimes we also question some of the advise given to us by our family members. We got older and that advise is still there in our minds so it was not a waste of time for are family, they did the rite thing to advise us.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Young people will always be same, there can be done something yes, but it need to be your kids, and work with them from very young age.

Every age have benefits, where I was eager to go 20 years ago now I will think and rethink about going, and check and recheck my stuff.

Where I was saved years ago because my strength and speed and lot of luck I ll use my experience today.
    When SHTF I will call myself survivor by counting the days that I survive, not by counting the fights that I won.
    I agree that there is time when you must fight, but somehow there is a feeling that lot of people think that everything is about using vilence.
    It is simply wrong, because eventually as more you use it, there is more chance to lose. — Selco

I hear ya. I work with my boy, same as my own daddy worked with me… I’m hoping that my boy didn’t inherit the stubborn streak I inherited from my father. That bullheaded German stubbornness… (I bag on Germans, but who can recognize character flaws better than one of your own? :) )

My daddy tried to teach me, but I was one of those sorts that had to go find out for myself that, yes, fire is hot and sticking your hand in it is generally a bad idea… now, you and I will use experience instead of youth, strength and speed. Which is, I think, the way it has been since time began…

We have a saying, Selco. “Experience and treachery will beat youth and strength every time.”

The problem over here in the US is that the younger generations have been brought up on a culture of violence. They literally do not have the emotional tools to deal with the hardships life throws at them, and therefore will resort to the only thing they know – violence. It is one thing to have a moral society and then have them go to war… the morality is still there. It is another to have an amoral society from the beginning. They have no moral compass, and so are capable of anything. I made a joke about them being modern Visigoths, but they are in every sense of the word barbarians…

I agree that not everything can be solved by violence. But I also think that sometimes right and wrong have nothing to do with it – you just do what you have to do.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I was thinking about this last night, and it’s sort of in the same vein regarding threats in a SHTF world.

How many people take psychoactive medication or similar because of some problems they have? How many of those people will, after x number of days without that medication, will become dangerous?

(As an aside, I remember reading a while back that many shootings recently were taking place by people who were on these sorts of meds, who weren’t taking them for a few days when the incident happened.)
    <span style=”font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 18.200000762939453px; background-color: #ffffff;”>
    These mind altering drugs are pretty scary, and you’ll never truly know what some people would do who haven’t had their medication in a while in a SHTF world. Anyone have any insight to stuff like that?</span>

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.