Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Right you are 74. This is why a good sense of humor can be a powerful defense. Better to laugh than to cry as they say. Laughter will win more people over. When I first moved to VT I knew I had to overcome the stereotype associated with folks from MA who had 2nd homes up here. I avoided commenting on local politics and related issues being I clearly didn’t know all of the background, showed a genuine interest in the locals, and made myself a good neighbor helping with chores etc. I knew I had been accepted when the woman (who filtered nothing she said) that owned the little general store that the locals hung out at declared that I was not a Masshole. The Queen of the Hamlet decided that I was OK even if I had come from MA as a 2nd home owner, and when I was retiring and coming here fulltime, folks seemed genuinely glad to hear it.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Proud to be a Confederate American . Stars and Bars !!!!!!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Tolik, I think regional and ethnic pride is a good thing, under the umbrella of being an American of course. I’m proud to be a New Englander and of the role we had in getting this country started, “shot heard ’round the world” and all. In the 1600’s my English ancestors were part of the beginnings of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, my Dutch ancestors the beginnings of New Amsterdam (now NYC), and my French the beginnings of Quebec. I take pride in my famine Irish ancestors being survivors in world that saw no value in them, and of my 1800’s German ancestors leaving all they knew to pursue opportunity denied them at home. None of this however supplants being proud to be an American. Nor does having deep roots make me more of an American than freedom is. That is the beauty of this country.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Mine also , on my moms side , we can trace the America’s to two Scottish brothers that came over in 1680-90’s , then Germans who came over later . We can trace 24 confirmed ancestors that fought for the Confederacy . Kind of fun asking yankee’s ” how’s it working for you now ? “. On my dads side , french Huguenots getting away from the catholic church . And now in modern day , we will have Russian heritage as my sweety and I are getting married soon .

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.