Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

GS, That is great to bring that post link back so that everyone reads it. It is very important for everyone to own one water filter with extra filters. Water was a problem here but look at Puerto Rico, they may not have water or power for three to four months. We can’t live without water! I lost in four days three pounds because I was drinking more water that I have in a long time. It was hot and there was a lot of work cleaning up so you need three to four times the amount.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

When I read your post about the water, that’s what I thought of immediately – the home made Berkey water filter system. We used to buy Deer Park bottled water by the case at Sam’s Club because it tasted so good and was supposedly spring water, not just “filtered” water (nothing more than tap water that companies run through their own filters, which are probably mostly just to remove bad taste). But Nestle bought them (too), and now we learn that much of the water Nestle sells as “spring” water probably isn’t. And the spring water they do sell is to the disadvantage of the towns and cities where their facilities are located. Remember, Nestle is the company that sold baby formula that killed many babies in other countries, but not the U.S. because the U.S. wouldn’t allow that baby formula.

Even at the much lower Sam’s Club prices, the Deer Park water still worked out to about $1.00/gallon. Yet even counting the almost negligible cost of municipal water that we put into our home made Berkey system, we’re still spending less than 3¢ per gallon of water now – and it’s the best tasting, purest water we can probably get anywhere. 6000 gallons for a pair of filters (we use four) is a massive amount of drinking water for next to nothing – just the initial outlay of a little over $100 (plus the fluoride/arsenic filters that we also use with the system). I call that real security – we can live for quite a while without food. But especially in hot weather, life span is measured in single-digit days without water.

One other thing your post prompted me to do was make a decision to systematically go back and review all of the older posts on the Forum (especially before I got here just over 2 years ago. I poked around in the past, but realize there is so much more here on the forum that’s worth a thorough review. This is a treasure trove of ideas and experiences.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

GS, Yes the forum has many old post that we did years ago. This is why I think that there should be a link on all the important past links posted somewhere on the site. All members should vote on the one’s that need to be on this list so that new members can get all of this information.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Love a big filter system like the berky but to big to carry. Going camping we used 1 quart stainless canteens and ultraviolet light on the water. Its battery operated and lasts for quite awhile. Made by Katadyn. We also use their larger ceramic filters. Their best model is the expedition filter. Its like a tire pump and fairly expensive but rugged. One dam has failed and there may be others, causing mass evacuation. People will be walking to get aid and to escape rising water. Its a hot climate and the bugs are no doubt miserable. Ive been in the everglades in a tent. Mosquitos can drive people crazy. The survival shows constantly show people who have skin reduced to inflamation. Cuomo took a plane to PR friday and loaded 30,000 bottles of water but maybe bug repellant and medical supplies would have been better. All their food crops are a total loss. They need just about everything in large quantities.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.