Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you all for your prayers. God is very powerful. I saw this with my own eyes. We were lucky! If the eye would have come into the east coast it would have been destroyed. Well I will post more tomorrow. I need to tell all of you were I need to prepare MORE! What I am very good at, found out this week that you need to get in shape(body) with I had been working on for 14 months, this helped a lot. Power was down only 4 days and I thought it was a week. I do not think people will live more then 2 weeks if power is gone for years. Well will post more soon.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Glad you are doing well. I am very interested to hear your input.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Freedom, great to hear, can’t wait for the AAR.

Ironically, I have been discussing the power going out and staying out for an extended period with a couple of friends.
    I have had to explain repeatedly why I am not worrying about the “golden horde”, it will be interesting to see if there are correlations in mindset.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

So one day one, power went down and internet went down but not cell phones. Mobile phone worked all the time so I told my 17 year old son and my 22 year old daughter that they are still connected. Streets were full of trees so you can drive anywhere. I had a generator and so did my parents which are 88 and 85 years old. So right after the first day that Irma slowed down to 40 to 50 miles an hour winds I told my wife I am walking in the rain and wind 3 blocks to my parents. I did this two times. Wind was strong, when you get hit by 50 mile an hour winds on your back it will push you around so I did get pushed around but I prepared for over two years of exercising and losing some pounds. So everyone here needs to do some exercising to be able to live long term without power. Well I got to my parents house and set them up with the generator which they would have have a hard time starting. Everyday I would go there three time to fill there generator with gas or start it up if it stopped. Guys this was only four days and for me if felt like weeks of work. Hard work. My parents got power on day three so I had day four for my house only. There are people (about 200,000) still without power in our county. So many people have been taken to hospitals because they cant take it anymore with real bad health problems. Grocery stores still have limited foods. I was one of the only persons in my block that was prepared so I learned something and so did my 22 year old daughter. She told me dad if what you have been talking about for years(EMP or collapse of the economy) happens we need to get the hell out of the city even if we walk out. This has opened her eyes. Not so much my son since he is 17 years old and thinks he can do anything. So back to my block, I was the guy giving coffee and cold water every morning and cold water in the day. The coffee was like gold!!!! They loved me. Can you guys believe it Coffee! Water that is cold was like I loved them for giving them something that they missed soooo much and it was only days! Irma only passed Miami with 80 to 100 mile an hour and look at what happen. If the center of Irma would have passed throw Miami and all the east coast we would have many dead from not Irma but from not being prepared. The FEMA camps are full, my wife works in a University which has been turned into a FEMA camp. People are soooo depended on the government to fix the problem. All in my block were depended on me to bring them coffee and cold water and were OK just to wait for the power company to fix the problem. If an EMP or collapse of the economy I will need plan B, get the hell out of the city. So my planning will start soon on what I need to do and were do I go. People just do not learn.

Whirlibird, “Ironically, I have been discussing the power going out and staying out for an extended period with a couple of friends.” I think that is a great idea, need it to be 5 to 7 days since by day 5 they will start thinking many things that they have prepared for may need some work. Not having power is hard work, many things that we live with depend on power. I have gone throw 4 hurricanes and Irma was the only one with only four days of not having power, the other three were two to three weeks. Andrew was 3 1/2 weeks. It is real hard. But when Andrew hit I did not know what I know now. Andrew was hard on many people and more people dead after Andrew than when Andrew was going throw. The wind didn’t kill as much as the three and half weeks of no power. Irma has reminded me again of how many people will go crazy in an EMP or a total collapse of the economy.

Also remember that in an event of EMP or a total collapse of the economy there WILL be many from the cities that will find a way to go out of the cities to find food and will do whatever needs to be done to get it so no one is safe. Prepare for this too. I will get back on to respond to everyone’s post in time but I am still working on the yard cleaning out all the trees.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Crime! Many arrests of criminals just in my area. I saw many on bicycle with backpacks in the middle of the nights. Police were all over the place lighting up homes. I was always armed and on the lookout. so this is why four days feels like weeks. Your body gets destroyed by day three with very little sleep, very hot days. My son did help with this. My daughter for the first time talked to me about getting a license to carry so I told her yes I will take her soon to apply. The same with my wife which the two never wanted to carry now they do. This opens everyone”s eyes that goes throw this. People that never go throw this can prepare but it is not the same as going throw it and seeing it for your self. Can you really take it, weeks, months or years without power? I think not many can. Many will become criminals to survive. I saw it in the grocery stores. There were some good people but some just do not care. We had water for the bathrooms but there was alerts to not drink it. There were many without water . The Gulf coast is real bad, no power there for one to two more weeks. Another thing I learned was that when power is down and it is hot we go throw water like never before. I lost three pounds in four days, WOW!! that is how much water I was drinking that I didn’t eat much and the amount of work I was doing just on water and small amount of food is incredible. You do not think much about food, water is what your body wants. So plan for a lot of water when power is down.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks for sharing your experience freedom, and it is good to hear you are OK.

Location matters should there be a long term event. Densely populated areas that are totally dependent on a complex infrastructure working would get ugly fast. Where to go and how to get there are critical aspects of any plan.

At the same time isolated spots may not work so well either. Back in the 1600’s and early 1700’s in the Massachusetts Bay Colony the isolated homesteads were always the most vulnerable to Indian attack. My town was out on the frontier and was attacked several dozen times over the course of about 70 years. Most attacks were on homesteads outside of the village and on people caught away from the village. During times when attacks were deemed imminent farmers needed armed guards posted while they worked the fields and people came into the village to sleep at night. Basically the village had to work as a unit for mutual protection and aid.

For these reasons I think hamlets or very small towns are the best bet.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Thanks for sharing your status. I really wish those that administer the Forum could find a way of providing email updates when new topics are added, not just new posts to existing topics. I haven’t checked in for a couple of days, but was hoping to see an email alert of an update on the “Freedom” topic of the Forum. Sorry I missed this earlier.

Freedom, thank you also for sharing your experiences. It’s always one thing to read about it in a book or on line article, it’s quite another to hear it in some detail from a person who’s just experienced it first hand. Very helpful.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I am preparing for a another one that may come our way Maria. Just purchased a new generator which is much bigger. Getting ready. If we get hit again power will be out for weeks since all the lines are not in great shape.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

We’ll just all have to hope and pray that the computer models all hold between now and next weekend. Currently ALL of them have it going further up the east coast, with no landfall (or significant impact) before SC or NC. Some keep it out to sea altogether. Sure hope so! It’s forecast to be a Cat 3 by Tuesday, and go right over Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic by Wednesday and Thursday.

And then there’s Tropical Depression Lee behind Maria! Please come quickly, November! (end of season) This could be a long next two months.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Out of the frying pan into the fire, eh Freedom. If PR is destroyed it affects Nyc. If Nyc erupts the east coast burns.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Spoke to one of the friends (Naples FL) I mentioned earlier (speaking of power outages) and as of yesterday:

Got power, however no cell service, no cable, no internet, and no phone.

Turns out that a few mistakes were made in the evacuation. Like the $600 in groceries that were in the two fridges, total loss. No window covers. Somehow the few long guns were left, yet all the handguns were brought along.

More to come.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Naples got hit very hard. In Miami I have friends that got power yesterday and still do not have internet. Only the one’s with generators were able to save there groceries in there fridges. In my block I was the only one to save my food. My cell phone did stay up but would go down a lot.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

In my block I was the only one to save my food.

In the Air Force we had a little saying that actually applies to almost anything. We simply referred to it as the “7 Ps” and everybody knew what we were talking about: “Proper Preflight Planning Prevents P___ Poor Performance.”

Your planning provided you with much quicker and less expensive recovery – if nothing else, no sudden expenses for replacement of food when there was none to be purchased locally anyway. Plus you had some comforts with the power the generator could produce in other ways, such as lights when needed, radios perhaps, recharging of cell phones for when the towers were functioning (or later the portable temporary units cell companies sometimes bring into a disaster area), etc. Nice job, Freedom – and thanks for the example.

Sadly, I can’t imagine a way of applying the 7 Ps in Puerto Rico, except for one’s planning to include permanent relocation OUT of what used to be paradise island. Government corruption and incompetence, territorial bankruptcy, drugs, crime, and now two hurricanes in two weeks? Why would anybody even THINK about staying down there, except that many don’t have the means of relocating anyway? So very sad.

GS

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Candles, a flashlight, and a little food. Thats all they need. Some people prepped and included chocolate. No power the banks wont be open. No power no money. No money no government. It was bankrupt before, now its finished. Sanctuary America?

One more problem for congress to solve, after failing so many times in the past. Statehood or down the tube.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Freedom made a few comments above that should be taken very seriously about the amount of water he used, and the fact that what he had available wasn’t always considered safe (e.g. that they had water to flush toilets, but it wasn’t considered safe for drinking).

About three years ago he posted the following, and it grew into a nice thread for a while. It’s well worth reviewing.

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/how-to-make-a-water-filteration-system-for-13-of-the-cost-of-a-berkey/#post-21310

We built the same system from the same plans a number of years ago ourselves, and highly recommend it. We’ve made a few upgrades (better spigot, put it on a rolling mechanic’s stool in order to keep it out of the way but have it easily accessible for refilling, etc.), but it’s still the same basic 2-bucket system. We also added two additional filters to increase water flow (and filter replacement time). As the water level gets lower in the top bucket, the pressure through the filters naturally reduces, as well as the fact that only part of the filter still has water around it to feed water down into the lower bucket. And the flow rate decreases as the water level goes down.

This is ALL we drink and cook with. We run tap water through it, and the taste rivals or beats any bottled water you’ll find anywhere. Plus, the Berkey Black filters (our preference) filter about 99.999% of virtually all chemicals, viruses, bacteria, etc. At 6000 gallons per pair and a little over $100 to build a 2-filter system, that’s only about $.02 per GALLON of water. Compare that to any bottled water. As noted in comments I made at the end of Freedom’s thread above, I talked with New Millenium Concepts (the actual manufacturer of the filters), and they said that there is no time limit on the filters – ONLY gallons, with full safety. (We’ve also opted to spend extra on their fluoride/arsenic filters – those hang down in the top of the lower bucket, attached to the bottoms of the Berkey Black filters.)

We keep five 55 gallon barrels (275 gal. total) connected to a rain water collection system filled at all times, periodically draining and then refilling (a couple inches of rain or so will refill all five). Because we don’t get the same winters as MountainBiker, Brulen, or Whirlibird, for example, we don’t have to worry about the barrels freezing up solid. So we’ve ALWAYS got plenty of water that we can run through the filter, if needed during a long term water outage.

In the actual plans (bottom link in Freedom’s first post in the thread) is a link to THE Berkey company (New Millenium Concepts). I strongly recommend purchase through them, not Amazon or other sources – Berkey won’t honor warranties if not purchased through them or their authorized distributors (long story, but good reasons).

GS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.