Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well I am in Miami Florida so we just missed a big one from hitting us, Hurricane Matthew. What did I see and learned.

TO PREPARE!

All the groceries went empty of water, paper towels and plates, 90% of can foods and ice. There will only be hours after the SHTF time to be able to get anything if you are lucking to get anything at all.
    This is only a hurricane so can you imagine what will happen when the SHTF or a financial collapse.

If there is a total collapse we only have hours to get any additional items and you better have cash to do that.

I saw many not find gas anywhere, gas stations were out of gas. Now that I have gone throw this close call hurricane it has reminded me that when the SHTF things will be real bad for many people that just do not prepare.

These people that do not prepare will be a problem that I will have to deal with when the SHTF times.

We all need to prepare better.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I am always amazed that people who live in hurricane-prone areas always seem surprised when a hurricane is approaching. It never occurs to them to set aside this stuff as a normal routine, perhaps buying it when it is on sale rather than seeking it out in a pre-storm panic.

I am equally amazed by the people a day after the hurricane who are somehow surprised that they don’t have any power, and they’re then screaming that they don’t have any food or water.

Not to point fingers at just the hurricane crowd, you see similar behavior every time a blizzard is approaching or an ice storm is forecast.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I agree MountainBiker, What this has teaches me is that food and water in the groceries will not last more then 24 hours the day the collapse or SHTF time happens. We are ready but many are not.

Also MountainBiker the older Floridians like my self are ready but we have so many that newbies that moved to Florida that have never seen a hurricane and take it as a joke that when they get hit they are not ready.

But again what I saw with my own eyes was how fast the food and water ran out, 24 hours! So we are all doing the right thing. I when to the grocery store to see and learn and boy did I learn.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

If things get REALLY bad, behavior and scarcity will be worse and happen faster. Even under good weather conditions we are only three days from empty, in the stores. And sometimes certain items are gone anyway during the week–I’ve often gone to our local Walmart and found them completely out of plain yogurt and many other items. “Until the truck comes in…” Same with smaller groceries.

Prep wide and deep. Bad days are ahead, no matter who gets in office. And that is determined only a month from now…

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

It might not be warm here, 26f as I type, but then again we don’t have to reason with hurricane season.

Location, location, location.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

All those people evacuated north will find nothing in the stores. No rooms, no gas, no snacks. Always make your motel reservations before you leave. I heard locally of one person in a Florida hospital doing a 36 hour shift. At least a week of disruption ahead for people in the storms path. The lucky ones. Personally I’d want a large supply of snickers bars. A number to hand out to kids. I was wondering if ther would be another under the dome drama. Nothing so far, that’s good. Matthew will resolve itself in a few days and things will return to the shakey political succession.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

One very nice outcome of the hurricane: I am on the mailing list of a particular company that sells non-prescription health care preparations to stores and medical professionals (some products are their brand name for public purchase, their other label is for professional use only – which I’m able to obtain). I received the following email from their CEO, addressed to all their retail and professional accounts. This was so refreshing:

I want to personally extend an invitation for all [company name] accounts in coastal Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina. If you are evacuating and need a place to stay, please contact our office. We have space in our home for a few people and would be honored to help.

My faith in human nature isn’t entirely destroyed.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.