Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

OUCH!!!! But I have to say that is part of what makes hunting them so fun. You never know just how it is going to turn out. I was hunting in South Texas one time and decided to take a javalina with my pistol. BTW A javalina is a small pig looking critter that is actually in the rodent family, if you didn’t know. They have tusks that make a boars tusk look like a butter knife. The tusks are not as big but they are razor sharp. Anyway it was dark and they were on the trail headed back to camp. I got out of the truck and skirted the headlights so they wouldn’t see me. There were only 3 or 4……I thought. Picked my target and fired. The 230 gr .45 round slamed home but he didn’t die immediately. One scream from him and the whole freakin countryside came alive. About 20 of them were running in every direction across the trail, between my legs, behind me and in front of me. By this time I was screaming as loud as the pig was and there was not a tree for 100 miles big enough to hold my weight. Emptied the gun. Thankfully the only thing hurt was my pride. I did have to pick my bro and father in law up off the ground after it was over. They had fallen out of the truck and could not get up they were laughing so hard. Good times. Lol

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, you got me Lol this morning, that was a good story. Funny! Hope it doesn’t happen to me.

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

That is what makes Javalina so dangerous, you never know which direction they are going to run when spooked.

A friend of mine used to go Javalina hunting every year during the muzzle loading season, that takes guts. He was not using one of the high tech guns, he was using a reproduction of an 1853 Enfield 3 band rifle musket. One of my Brothers-in-law used to be in the Air Force at Williams AFB here in Az, they found a Javalina around the munitions igloos so they tried to relocate it with a front loader, it panicked and jumped out braking it’s neck, they had a BBQ that weekend.

Rob

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Yep, agree with matt76…makes the hunt more interesting indeed. I’ve hunted javalina in South Texas & they can be some tenacious little beast. One season a young man was attacked around dusk. I hunted them with .357 & it was a hoot. Had to work a bit on making them tasty…cold beer was helpful.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

We have a small feral pig population here in Indiana…
    hopefully it grows! :D

Great Post!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

In this part of North Texas it is legal to hunt pigs from a helicopter. About the safest also!
    Robin

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

When hunting hogs the lines between hunter and hunted can become blurred.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.