Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of prepwolf
    prepwolf
    Survivalist
    member2

Hunting Slingshots

MRE’s aren’t really worth anything in the long run, not in a bug out scenario. The ability to repeatedly obtain new food however is. Depending on your location, this need could be filled through gathering mushrooms, nuts, insects, plants, or shells, by fishing or catching birds in various ways and by hunting. The latter could be done with traps, everything from spring loaded spear traps for boars to simple rabbit snares you can prepare at home (takes up literally no space in a kit). Aside from traps, there’s always the bow but including one from the start could be cumbersome and it’s not that easy to build a good one if you’re not very patient and handy with the blade.

An often overlooked and discredited weapon is the slingshot. It can be extremely compact, there’s little to no maintenance, they’re very intuitive and easy to use, you still have to practice but you could send fairly accurate shots down the range after just a few hours of playing around with it. They can shoot many different types of projectiles depending on the setup, everything from broad head hunting arrows to various caliber steel ball bearings or even bolts, scrap metal and rocks (although with less precision). To top it off, you could easily store a good slingshot with ammo, some extra bands and pouches and even a bunch of take down arrows in a regular size multi purpose pouch or compartment of similar size. I’ve seen people take out deer with a “slingbow” but I mainly see it as a tool that could help me kill rabbits, bunnies, squirrels, birds and other smaller animals I could sneak up on, but why not, I’d certainly take the shot at a deer (or other big game) in a SHTF scenario, who knows?

I just got these two Black Widows from Barnett Crossbows. They’re brand new and I just put the supposedly harder red bands on one of them for some comparison that I haven’t gotten around to do yet. Anyway, I’ve decided to do four modifications before I put one in my kit.

slingshots

Pending modifications

• First, I need to camouflage the shiny metal parts. I’ve seen people sand paper it down to a matte finish and then simply spray paint it, but I’ve decided to cover the metal with black rubber fuel hose. This have a matte finish and will also rubberize the whole frame for comfort and protection. Also, it won’t wear off in the same way as paint always do in the end.
    • Secondly, I must find a sollution for fastening the bands further. They tend to slip a little so I either have to replace the locking end tubes (get bigger ones or something), or complement the current fastening system with more rubber bands, metal clamping bands or something. Hopefully it works with just wrapping regular thin rubberbands hard around the end of the rubber tube so it can’t slide over the locking end tube.
    • Thirdly, I will attach a whisker biscuit or similar device (foldable or removable) on the front to allow for use with arrows.
    • Lastly I will have to replace the black armrests as they’re made from cheap plastic. They keep falling off and it’s no use attaching them permanently since they will break. I will probably attach some kind of stops to the end of the metal tubes and then braid armrests out of 550 cord and attach them to the stops.

slingshot

I will keep updating this thread as soon as I’ve had some time over for the project :)

"Certainly We have created man to struggle" - Qur'an 90:4

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Prepwolf,
    There has always been something about sling shots I liked. I haven’t had one for a very long time though. It seems from your comments that the Barnett model needs some improvements. Are there other commercial sling shots for sale?

When we were kids we made our own from a Y branch of a hardwood tree. Selecting a branch with the best Y was important. It had to have a relatively narrow angle between the branches, guessing it would be about 30`. Then we used the biggest thick rubber bands we could come up with. The tongue of an old shoe made a great pouch. We would saw a slot in the top of each Y leg to slip the bands into, then just tie a knot in the end to prevent the bands from pulling through. I never made one with a wrist support but I guess It wouldn’t be to hard to figure figure out.

prepwolf
    Survivalist
    member2

74:
    There’s many slingshots available commercially. I went for the Black Widows since they’re cheap in this part of Europe. There are even some semi-commercial “survival” models out there but alot of them are either overpriced and really just modifications of other brands. If you want a slingshot with optional arrow shooting capability without modification I hear the HFX Slingshot made by Chief A.J should be reliable. This thread is just about me converting a cheap Black Widow with cheap spare parts to test the performance of a DIY hunting slingshot.

For target shooting and small game hunting with bullets (balls) I’d look up PocketPredator, they make stuff by the order and charge next to nothing. They have one small fixed frame slingshot named the Hathcock Target Sniper and it’s cheap enough (like 34 bucks) to just check out. I heard great things about it when it comes to the ability to line up shots and get good consistent hit patterns. It’s made out of a stainless steel core covered in a ballistic fiber resin, much like some gun stocks and the forks have a special design that allows for usage with all kinds of bands (flats, tubes or squares depending on what you prefer or get your hands on).

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks prepwolf for starting this thread. I hadn’t thought about slingshots in my preps. They make a lot of sense. I will stop by Dick’s when in town and see what they have.

prepwolf
    Survivalist
    member2

MountainBiker:
    I agree, it’s fairly easy to sneak up close and personal on different types of small game and from that distance and with a little practice it “should be easy” to put some kind of meat on the table with a slingshot. If you take care of the rubber and carry extra setups (and take care of any metal and/or moving parts as with any piece of equipment) it should still serve you long after you run out of rounds for your hunting rifle. I think a small weapon like this, some snares, fishing equipment and the know-how of what you can eat and how you can get it should be included instead of MRE’s or emergency rations. What if the bug out scenario is me having to escape and travel by foot and survive for weeks or months in the wilderness? I know guys who left their homes during the Balkan wars and had to hide out with their families in cave systems in the mountains for over a year to avoid enemy forces and ethnic cleansing down in the villages, what should they have done with their three day supply of freezed dried food?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

We used to make slingshots when we were kids too. One material you might want to look into for bands is bicycle inner tubes. We rode our bikes everywhere and always got flats at some point. Just because the tubes didn’t hold air anymore didn’t mean they were trash. You can adjust the power of the slingshot by how thick you cut the bands. We usually cut them about 1/2″ wide. It takes a little testing to get the length of the bands right but when adjusted properly they were much more powerfull than the surgical tubing bands. We attached the bands by wrapping the bands around the top of the Y and then using string to tie it. You can put groves in the Y if you like. The easiest way to attach them like this is to take your band and fold it over on one end making a loop. Secure your Y either in a vice or place it flat on the ground and step on it. Put the loop over one side of the Y and while holding the loop stretch it tight. You should now have some space between you fingers and the Y. While pulled tight take some strong string and take several wraps around the band as close to the Y as you can and tie it tight. This step is easier with 2 people lol. Repeat on the other side of the Y. Next check the length of your bands and make sure they are even. Attach your pouch between the bands and you are ready to go. Now go have some fun.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“This thread is just about me converting a cheap Black Widow with cheap spare parts to test the performance of a DIY hunting slingshot” Prepwolf Maybe not anymore……..

Matt,
    Ya we used inner tubes as well. The whole shooting arrow thing has me thinking a small arrow gun, like a mini spear gun would be easy to make.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Lol I did make one of those too. Had a pair of post hole diggers and the handle broke right at the attachment point like most of them do. I cut the broken end flush, duct taped about a 1 foot piece of 3/4″ PVC pipe parallel with the handle and then took a 2′ piece of inner tube band and tacked the ends into the tip of the handle just below the pipe. Put the tip of your spear/arrow through the pipe and hold the post hole digger handle like a gun. Pull back like a slingshot with the back of the arrow in the sling pouch and let’er rip. Was a lot of fun when I was 8. Worked pretty well shooting perch along the bank of a pond. Man good memories. Haha. The things I used to build when I was a kid.

BobbyD
    BobbyD
    Survivalist
    member6

Interesting comments on slingshots, and do recall many happy kid memories. Must take issue with the reliability factor for SHTF scenario regarding the rubber bands. These have always been the kink in the system, breaking at the most inopportune time. Way back, the rubber care and truck inner tubes were great for stretch and power. Then came synthetic rubber during the war and slingshots took a hit. This rubber just didn’t have it, and still doesn’t.
    Maybe the bicycle tubes mentioned above work, will have to look into that. Do any of you have a recommended source for good rubber that doesn’t break after a week? I never liked the rubber tubing, just didn’t have the same
    feel. Accuracy? Oh yes. Once you get the feel of your frame and learn to tweak the grip position just before letting go, you just know where that rock is going to go…………right on target. I still collect wood branch forks when I see a pile of wood after the tree trimmers go through. Just can’t let a good slingshot fork go to waste. If anyone needs one just let me know. I must have 30-40 of them in the basement right now. Glad to oblige.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Very interesting post. Got one from Walmart and some steel balls. Will practice and see what I can do…fun with a purpose. We have many fat squirrels skittering around overhead in our pecan trees. Hmmmmm…….

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In one of the the videos the shooter was using 50 cal lead round balls. They make for a very potent projectile.

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>prepwolf wrote:</div>74:<br>
    There’s many slingshots available commercially. I went for the Black Widows since they’re cheap in this part of Europe. There are even some semi-commercial “survival” models out there but alot of them are either overpriced and really just modifications of other brands. If you want a slingshot with optional arrow shooting capability without modification I hear the HFX Slingshot made by Chief A.J should be reliable. This thread is just about me converting a cheap Black Widow with cheap spare parts to test the performance of a DIY hunting slingshot.

For target shooting and small game hunting with bullets (balls) I’d look up PocketPredator, they make stuff by the order and charge next to nothing. They have one small fixed frame slingshot named the Hathcock Target Sniper and it’s cheap enough (like 34 bucks) to just check out. I heard great things about it when it comes to the ability to line up shots and get good consistent hit patterns. It’s made out of a stainless steel core covered in a ballistic fiber resin, much like some gun stocks and the forks have a special design that allows for usage with all kinds of bands (flats, tubes or squares depending on what you prefer or get your hands on).

I’ve got a Chief AJ, and it’s pretty cool. The bands DON’T slip off (an eye injury risk), and though I haven’t tried with an actual arrow, I’ve no doubt it would work IF CLOSE ENOUGH. One option, if you can approach larger birds closely enough (partridges, pheasants, pigeons etc.) are called flu flu arrows. They’re made for short range use, and practically fall out of the sky when that distance is reached. They are the arrows you see used in cheesy martial arts stunts in which the archer shoots at the low-rent karateka who snatches it out of the air. He can do this in absolute safety as his toes are on the masking tape line, and the arrow will fall out of the air without hitting him should he fail to make a dramatic catch or deflection. I believe they are intended for use against birds, but can’t really document that. Any bowhunters out there?

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Prepwolf – good ideas; having a slingshot would be another thing to add to the BOB and such, BUT before anyone discounts MRE’s (at least the ones actually issued by the US Military – can’t vouch for any others) or freeze dried food stocks and such I’ll tell you about one of my experiments. Around 2004 I found one of the MRE’s that I’d first been issued in the mid-eighties. It was in a box that had been through several moves and with a bunch of crap that I usually kept in a hot garage or shed that easily got up to well over 100 degrees for most of the summers. You know what happened from here – I ate it, just to see what would happen. A 20 year old MRE with a dehydrated beef patty (made that way, not dried out), brown tabasco sauce, brown applesauce, and brown curdled cheese. Despite the appearance of the food, it was all sealed fine with no bloating or other and smelled fine also (otherwise I wouldn’t have tempted fate). The result? Got full with not even a stomach turn.

No intents to hi-jack the topic, but wanted to get that tidbit out. An MRE is a lot easier to hunt than a rabbit or a squirrel – not discounting the worth of a slingshot regardless.

Prepwolf – on securing the tubing; might want to consider a couple of plastic zip ties placed after the tubing attachment areas. I think the added friction would keep them in place a bit better. Look forward to the mods.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

prepwolf
    Survivalist
    member2

I don’t mind people talking about other slingshot related things in here aswell, I leave it for the admin guys to decide what’s what :)

Novus Ordo:
    About the MRE’s. I’ve eaten my fair share of US military issue MRE’s and I like them. I didn’t mean to discredit them in anyway, I just don’t see the point in including that kind of food items in my BOB since I don’t really prep for a 72 hour bug out scenario. Also, as a European I get naturally suspicious if things are packed in too many layers of plastic and boxes, but then again, 20 years is kinda impressive… Also, thanks for the input. I will definately consider plastic zip ties, I don’t think they need anymore really. It’s not like they slip and almost come off every time you draw but you still notice movement of the tube and I don’t like that.

When it comes to bands and elastics, I think rubber strips cut from bicycle tubes will work fine for some models and definately for improvised slingshots made from Y-shaped branches and so on. In an emergency situation I guess you could salvage usable rubber from countless sources found within a modern city, or even from a farm or other structures in rural areas. I’d personally look for latex exercise bands, there’s both flat ones and tubes and I guess tubes would be best for the kind of slingshot I have now (the Black Widow mentioned above) and flat ones for something like the HTS or a home made one.

If you look for bands now, before SHTF, there’s this guy, Martin Hird, who puts together solid and complete sets of slingshot bands with pouches and sells them on eBay. You can get regular tubes and complete setups from him but he also carries setups made from flat double or triple layer Thera-Bands and so on.

Profile photo of ronym
    ronym
    Survivalist
    member5

sometimes reality can be as hard as it is
    not because i dont like slingshot
    ( personally i prefer longbow and arrow because it’s effectiveness in range, sharp edge, reloading speed )
    but because of… in this day we cannot rely on “hunter and gatherer” type survivalism
    at least we prepare as a “farmer” with modern strategy
    ( using solar cell, wind generator, solar heater, aquaponic, etc )
    but have effective way like permaculture way
    so we don’t necessary go to the 5000 years ago “way” just to survive
    we can use 1000 years ago method
    or even steam engine era but still have modern telecomm ( wifi, ham radio ) and electricity harvesting ( solar, wind )
    come on… how many deer are exist in our forest ?
    how many rabbit, chicken, squrrel, etc in the jungle ?
    even chicken, cow are “manufactured” by modern mechanizing thing
    ( feeding, health care, slaugtering, packing, cooking, selling )
    i am not saying that slingshot or bow are useless
    but i am saying are, we cannot rely on “hunter and gatherer” type survivalism, because our environtment are different than 5000 years ago
    where there still many forest and wild animal in it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.