Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

On one of the post 1974 pointed out to me that in Florida has many places to hunt feral hogs.

The next day I received my magazine from my membership to the NRA called American Hunter May edition and inside it has not one but two articles on hunting feral hogs.
    One thing I got out of the articles is that there are many more feral hogs then deer and in a SHTF deer will be hunted down to zero but the feral hogs may not be. Feral hogs are not easy to hunt down. They do not come out much during day light. They go out at night to feed. At night they are in thick brush areas so not easy to hunt.
    Texas is number one in the country in population and number two is Florida.
    A little history on feral hogs which I learned is back in the 1500s the Spanish setters farmed Eurasian pigs and some escaped so that is how we got some wild pigs, also that the British in the 1800 introduced more pigs for hunting so now we are over populated with feral pigs. Now there are more then 5 million in 39 states.
    One of the problems is that feral pigs are very hard targets but the quality of the meat is very good.

They grow up to about 500 pounds. They reproduce two to three times a year and mature at 6 months and do not have a predator hunting them.

To hunt and shot them there are areas were to shot them, the broadside around the shoulder area, the front head shot. Also remember that they spook on any sound so it will be a good idea to use a sound suppressor were legal.

I think that in a SHTF everyone will be hunting deer and many will not know how to best hunt a feral pig which maybe the only animals that will still be out there.

It is a good idea to learn now before a SHTF.

I thank 1974 for pointing me to the right area of hunting in the State of Florida without any limits since there are none on feral hogs.

Next I will post on hunting feral hogs at night with night equipment.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Took one in the middle of Tennessee a few years ago with an old Win .30-30.  Hit it low shoulder.   It was BIG, close to 300 lbs.  The area was unfamiliar to me, but I was with a guide and his 3 dogs.

I shot it in daylight since the dogs “jumped” it from its napping place. Because it was a male, the meat was very strong and rank, but plenty of it if you are hungry.  I soaked it in light vinegar solution and spiced it up, and everyone loved it (not me…)

So yes, they are plentiful and nutritious.   Lots of them here in Oklahoma, too, but getting permission to hunt on private land is not easy.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Hunting hogs are fun and good source of meat. Did some hunting in Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana. Skills to hunt (and trap) wild game in SHTF is no-brainer. Night time hunt sounds interesting…let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

To get rid of “gamey” taste try using some cut apples peeled when stewing or roasting with water in bottom of the pot it lessens the intensity, just dont eat the apple slices.

For most part in past we take only the prime  cuts form the hog and rest gets ground and mixed with other wild game into tasty sausages.

We have alot of them  here locally too them make for good  eating and the flavor of the meat varies  from the local area and diet it was eating. ones that have been eating nuts and in orchards are prized as well as happy farmers that you are ridding of nuisance.

Just be careful the ones here  can charge  and dig up trees quite easily  and lighter calibres sometimes lack stopping power for a one shot kill. each year someone get gored  by them   most dont die but leaves some  pretty horrific scars. definitely not a solo hunt kind of thing  up here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free,

Take small 100lb or so animals and they will taste better.  Plus getting them home is easier.  A 200 – 600 pound animal in thick brush is going to be a real lot of work to get out to the truck.

Look at what the amimals are using as feed.  I love corn fed deer. The meat is never gamey tasting. So I like to hunt deer that are feeding at on farmers fields. Deer feeding on acorns and rough under brush taste gamey.  If you find a famer having trouble with pigs in his crops, ask him to let you hunt them.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Depending on location, experience and such, hogs can be easy or hard to get.

One thing that normally works extremely well is baiting.
    This may not seem advantageous in a SHTF situation, but talking to your local produce manager,
    you can often score rotten vegetables and fruit to use as bait for nothing.

Secondly, waiting over the bait at night.
    Makes the hogs hard to see, but they can’t see you also.
    Using a red lens light, you can light them up without disturbing them.

I’ve seen some spectacular successes and failures with various guns.
    And a lot depends on where the hogs have been, if they’ve been wallowing in the mud and it’s
    dried and caked in place, it’s almost like a layer of armor.

Bullets that normally expand and drive deep, sometimes blow up within inches instead of penetrating where needed because of that mud.

Personally, after having shot a number of hogs with a variety of guns, I have found that I really like the .30 calibers such as .308 and .30-30. Moderate recoil, easy to handle, plenty accurate, and depending on what gun you use, you can ofter get a second hog with a fast second shot.

Last time I was out, we were after a number of hogs that were destroying fields near a reservoir.
    Between three of us, we got 11 hogs in two ‘ambushes’, thanks to some fast shooting.
    A number of freezers were filled that day.
    It didn’t make a large dent in the population that day, the farmer who we were helping reported several herds of 30-50 roaming the area, which corresponded with ‘wildlife’ officers reports. They were breeding faster than anyone could kill them.

We weren’t picky about size, but shot everyone we could get sights on. The small ones were processed for food, the large gamy animals became dog food.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, I will be using a .308. Thanks for the idea of using the red lens light and getting some rotton vegetables and fruits, will do.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom there is some cable show about hunting wild hogs! When I go shooting down in Georgia, people are always trying to get me to go with them on hunts. A sport almost in itself in some parts of the country.A friend has some huge-a** hog head mounted on his wall – one big, ugly mean looking ****** with some darn large tusks!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, I have been told that you need to be careful if you miss because they will attack you with there large tusks. Many hunters get cut up by them.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well here Freedom - watch this show on A & E – God knows it looks funny. Never watched it as I don’t watch TV but people have mentioned it before. Good grief, amazing they haven’t run out of things to have a TV show about

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I live on the Red River in Texas. There is a lake on this property. Archery is the only means of taking deer or hog in this area. I have 2 80lb dogs who’s main mission in life is driving off critters like hogs, armadillos, deer, coyotes, mountain lions and skunks. I give the critters all (1,750) except the 10 acres around my cabin. Now there are commercial hunts using helicopters.

No way will man ever catch up. Just too many and they breed very quickly.

Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin, That is incredible how many there are in Texas, they say Florida is number two. I need to go to the areas in Florida were they are. I think that you are located in a great area for a SHTF time. There are so many that you will be able to hunt them down and not run out of food. The do breed faster then we can hunt them down.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

In the very remote areas of this county there have been groups/herds/? of 40 and 50. You shoot until your fingers wear out and they still have the upper hand.

Robin

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Great weekend topic. LOL I just took my kids hog hunting this weekend. If you are looking for food quality hogs I would not shoot anything much over 100-150 lbs. Any bigger than that and the meat begins to get a little rank. One thing that helps with the gamey taste is to soak the meat in a mixture of milk and mustard for at least 4 hrs before cooking. You will not be able to taste the mustard when you cook it. It does not take a whole lot either. Just put the meat to be cooked in a bowl or casserole dish and squirt mustard in a zig zag pattern on top. It does not have to completely cover the meat. Then pour on enough milk to mostly cover the meat. Mix it all together with your hands and let soak in the refrigerator until ready to cook. You do not need to wash it off to cook. Just remove from the soak and season to taste. As far as calibers of guns, that depends more on the size of the hog and shot placement. If your marksmanship skills are good a large hog can be dispatched at close reange with a .22 if shot in the ear. My daughters killed both of their 130 lb hogs this weekend with an ear shot using AR 15s. If you are more comfortable with a heart or lung shot then I would recommend a .270 or any of the .30 cal deer rifles. Shotguns loaded with slugs are very effective as well. What makes male hogs hard to kill is the thick grissel shields they build up on their sides from fighting. I have killed hogs in excess of 200 lbs and have found .30 cal bullets lodged in the 2″ thick shields. It never even made it into the vital organs. I prefer the ear or neck shots because it stops them every time no matter how big and it doesn’t waste any meat.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

One more thing a good solid bullet is a big help. Stay away from ballistic tips or hollowpoints for body shots and if using a pistol don’t use anything less than a 357 mag.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.