Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Fun to watch pistol shooting. Teaches proper stance, grip, ergonomics & use of sights.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Interesting video and I am taking nothing away from his abilities. He is quite amazing. I just find it bizarre how trendy competition shooting is. He bashes the Weaver stance whereas those using this stance used to dominate. It has gone from an isosceles-ish, to Weaver, and now back it seems. All I know is that I have always been much better shooting Weaver than any other stance. Even when I was in CQB drills, combat town, etc., I personally liked the way I could move and shoot with the Weaver so much easier than the isosceles. Personal preference, I guess.

His abilities are really quite amazing. Very worth the watch just to see him shoot if for no other reason.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great Video 74. Jerry is great.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    I know what you mean. With the upright isosceles you’re not in a stance that allows a quick first step when you need to move. I shoot well using his ergonomics but I believe a slightly more athletic stance with knees bent like a relaxed skier would be better. Once your running, ducking & juking around I can’t see that it matters.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I personally think there should be more emphasis on safety and mechanics of shooting than forcing a specific stance/method of shooting. Here is a great example: I have a friend that can shoot better offhand with his 454 than he can in any other stance. He hits pie plates at 200 yards in this method. Seems like it works for him…

In my years of shooting, I have realized one simple fact about shooting: What works for some will possibly work for others, but each MUST adopt their own shooting methods based upon mechanics of both the science of shooting and how their specific body works. People can use a baseline, generic method by all means. There has to be some adaptation and modification to these methods based upon what works best for that individual, though. If not you are doing nothing more than putting a square peg into a round hole, then painting to match.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Instructor Zero: the otherside

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Exactly

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

see miculek doing a two pistol shoot with random target bot and his hit ratio… 1000 yard 9 mm shot… one thing for sure would not want to have a altercation where it goes to using a firearm with this man…

as for tac.. great shooting, more real world situations, one thing on his draw when being faced with an hands up situation there are many variables a krav magra disarm is more likely his is for a pro gunner having you dead to rights…. most time you end up on wrong side of that .74 sec to twist and shot and his twitch time on a front shot is .6 no need to explain it any more and that is from holstered an aimed in play gun is way faster only 5 lb away from you having a bad day.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Namelus, I tend to agree with you, however when things are not straight forward you have opportunities. I provide the following as an example.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes that was a great video too.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

you do against amateurs pro wont let guard down will just shoot you, most robbers with gun use it to threaten and have next to ZERO skills, most people are slow on a human target because to kill another is not an easy emotional/ mental thing to do the first time….. Pros dont have that issue at all, it is definitely not their first rodeo, think if tac was holding you at gun point for example you think he would hold back second you moved?

there are people out there with more kills to their credit than any mass murder, it is a skill and an art that has to be learned. Training helps when you panic in first time to do the skills by reflex. When you can think/ plan during this stressful event you are entering the pro league, at the farm team level.

I am not saying dont train, i am not saying give up …. just recognize realistically your skills and be able to see your opponents as well, then make the correct move for the fluid situation and know where the possibilities or reversing the situation can occur in your favor. If you have LEO Friends who will let you train with them or better yet military see how they round up someone …. then try and make a move see what happens practice different scenarios… both of you will learn a lot from both sides.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Namelus, What you say is true. What police know and others is that it takes 3/4 of a second to perceive a threat and for the mind to react. So as in the pharmacy video, the pharmacist draws unobserved and takes the first shot.

I don’t expect to ever have a showdown at high noon. I’m not trying to say you can do this or any of what is in the videos, they are for information purposes only.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

OODA loop.
    Observe
    Orient
    Decide
    Act.
    Takes approximately 1.5 seconds for the average person.

Action beats reaction by that time minimum.

Works in all aspects of life.
    Its why you leave a minimum distance between you and the car you follow.
    Its getting to the same place that your reactions just like driving are subconscious.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Used in a driving scenario 3/4 of a second is used in moving the foot from the gas pedal to the brake and depressing the pedal. For most people simply depressing a trigger wouldn’t take as long, so I left that out of the equation. Reaction time it is why nobody can catch a dollar bill dropped between their fingers.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Used in a driving scenario 3/4 of a second is used in moving the foot from the gas pedal to the brake and depressing the pedal. For most people simply depressing a trigger wouldn’t take as long, so I left that out of the equation. Reaction time it is why nobody can catch a dollar bill dropped between their fingers.

That 3/4 second is movement, not the evaluation and decision time.

You have to factor in all the parts to get an honest time.

In classes, I bring a couple of cap guns for students to understand reaction time.
    I have them hold the ‘gun’ on me and fire when they see me make my move.
    I have yet to have one get a shot off before I do.
    And this is with them knowing they need to ‘shoot’, that they will be shooting, that I will be making a move.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.