Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Ran across this article today. A quick reading tells me I will be reading it completely when things slow down.

Robin

How to read people

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin,

Interesting article, some people I find easy to read but there are others that i just can’t read. It is an art.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Great topic Robin. I drew the same conclusion about reading the article in its entirety later. I thank my mom for getting me started in this line of study. I was an only child and got board sometimes. My mom always said when you get board watch peoples noses when they talk. You really don’t notice until someone points it out but our noses do all kinds of weird things when we talk. They flatten out get pointy or maybe nostrils flare. It is comical. Anyway that is what got me started people watching.

Even as a child it is amazing how much you can pick up about someone from their expressions or body language. I had to laugh about the part of the article talking about reading a spouses or significant other. I used to do it to girls when I was high school age. It would really mess with them when I would almost be able to read their minds without them saying much. Lets just say it backfired a few times lol. It is a great skill that takes less practice than you think. Once you learn the indicators it is not hard to spot. It is a skill that can save your life for sure.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Free sometimes it is your reason for reading a person that makes them hard to read. If your life depends on it assume the worst. Combine the little things you are picking up about them with what your gut is saying and get the heck out. A poker game on the other hand is a little different. You really want to win but it probably won’t cost you your life if you’re wrong just some money. If you are some kind of forward operator in a battle zone yes you will need extensive training to pick up every little nuance but for your average joe just trying to decide friend or foe it doesn’t take much practice.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks Robin. Certainly a skill that needs to be cultivated…

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

This is a many leveled skill.

Having interviewed more than a few crooks, I can’t say that I read people consciously, but when I get that “feeling ” I tend to listen closely.

Physical actions and movements, little things that catch the eye, sometimes is takes a split second,  others it takes years.

Some people never gain the ability,  others seem born with it.

No matter how many articles I read about it, I still can’t put it into words well.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I had a correctional officer from Huntsville State Prison tell me one of the best indicators is the individual’s hands. If he has ill intent his hands will ball up in fists even if he is laughing or smiling when walking towards you. If he is lying he may make nervous movements with his fingers or fiddle with something near his hand like a button on his shirt.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

There are many clues we can get from one’s body language. The best most basic tip is become aware of these little hunches and listen to them. If something feels sketchy it probably is even if your conscious part of your brain can’t tell you why.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

But don’t become too wedded to one interpretation of an action. Sometimes a person may twiddle a button because he or she feels nervous or inadequate and has no evil intent. I often bounce my knee up and down while sitting because it comforts me. I’ve heard cops conclude that when a person looks off to the right when describing an event it means they are lying, yet I look off to the right when telling the truth but am replaying the event in my mind and trying for accuracy.

There are body language hints to be read, but don’t rely too much on self-appointed gurus who say that X action must mean Y thinking.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Be warned though, using this stuff on your spouse or significant other could have undesired results. You may not want to know what you want to know.

:)

It is good topic anyway. There are lot areas where it is cool to try to “read” other folks intentions, and try to hide yours.
    One of those areas is trade in SHTF conditions. People often think that trade will be something like pleasant thing, while in reality it is gonna be (and it was) something like game who it is gonna outsmart other guy.

Things like hiding your intention,how high you gonna go, how much you need or have, how bad you want it, how dangerous you are, are becoming very important, and to read all of mentioned in other guy.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, Trade in all the Central and South American Countries is a common thing to do. No one puts the real price on anything, it is always higher so they play the trade game all the time. That is something that I am good at. I am also good at buying my way in and out with people, they all have a price!

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Interesting link – that guy has a pretty well laid out site with decent info alround

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.