Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey SA’ers!

Came across this video. Shows how to make Biltong – dried, salted meat. Is what this lady is doing the right way? Lots of salt = obvious. Lots of pepper = my guess, to keep flies away… Is there more than one way to make biltong?

Still, I’m going to try this out just to see what it tastes like and how long it will keep…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Crapolla, this girls food drier just made me remember I have peppers out drying i cut open. Only we had torrential down pours today. I probably lost them all.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

The little box she uses to dry the meat reminds me of my stock drying cabinet. About 4 feet tall, two and a half feet wide, 18 inches deep. Has a place to hang stocks at the top and a light fixture at the bottom. Mine has rubber gasket-ting around the door to make it more or less airtight. Speeds up stock finishing by orders of magnitude. I’ve seen other guys make theirs will two fixtures and a small fan to circulate air. I didn’t put a fan in mine.

Usually, it takes 3 days for a coat of finish to dry and cure. The stock cabinet cuts that to one day. With a minimum of 10 coats of finish, each one being cut down and buffed out before the next is applied, it takes about a month to do a proper “best” stock finish. I can cut that to 10 days, which makes turnaround time at least bearable…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.