Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

How to make apple cider vinegar
    Basically, throw the apple leftovers into a jar, the wider the mouth the better, add enough sugar/water to cover the peels (1/4 c sugar for every 1 quart of water), cover with a clean, breathable cloth, and leave at room temperature for a week to ferment. I used a plate and weight, like what is done for sauerkraut, just to help keep all the leavings under water.apple cider vinegar, acv, homemade acv, crock

After a week, taste (should be appley sweet) and assuming this is the case (appley sweet) remove the peels/cores, and allow the liquid to ferment for another 3-6 weeks (stirring occasionally) until the vinegar taste is to your liking. You may now transfer to clean containers for use. Store in a cool, dry, dark place.
    supplies
    All the supplies: Apples,sugar,jar, lid and ring,cotton square soft plastic disk to hold down the floating apples.
    ******************************************************************************************************************************
    apple jar
    Apples in the jar with some sugar then topped with water.
    ******************************************************************************************************************************
    disk
    Plastic disk was made from a margarine tub lid cut down.
    *****************************************************************************************************************************
    sugar and plastic
    Plastic disk pushed inside to hold down the apples. I did add a bit more sugar as I forgot to add a bit earlier.
    ****************************************************************************************************************************
    cloth
    Now I added the cotton then placed the lids on. Now sit and wait!!
    ****************************************************************************************************************************
    I’ll update weekly with a photo of the jar to week 6.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Thank you! I often wondered exactly how to make vinegar. Will try it when local apples come in.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Gypsy, Thank you, great to know this.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Very cool ! thank you !

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Gypsy, I just purchased some “natural” cider vinegar from Walmart. Says it has the “mother” in it. Would it speed up the process to add some?

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

I would have to say it yup. And you can reuse the Mother as well.You just move the mother into your next batch.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks Gypsy – reminded me need to make some more.

This is like making Kombucha in that you use the ‘mother’ to keep making more. ‘Mother’ looks icky however! :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.