Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

If you want to make a more lasting snow fort…. make Pykrete. I think you could build a house of this stuff that would last all winter. Of course it takes more than a shovel and a snow saw. lol

Mythbusters episode 115. Confirmed. Pykrete can stop a .45 cal. bullet.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB the alligators and snakes are only in the everglades. I lived here since I was four and am 57 and have only seen black grass snakes around here and the alligators are only in the river areas. I have only seen them when I have gone to the everglades. So no problem there. Now I have seen foxes, the small brown lizards that really do not do anything but eat little bugs. There are a lot of wild small cats. Racoons are also around but I do not see many. What I see almost every night is foxes.

So no alligators for 20 miles or more.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

freedom,

Red to yellow, kill a fellow. Red to black, venom lack.
    We used to visit Florida just to see all the snakes.
    People think the rides are the big attraction but its really the snakes, the bugs and the fish, Sometimes the birds too. The gators are like nuisances. Every bit of water has a gator hole somewhere. The more time you spend away from the beach the better it is. Snakes are all over. You just don’t see them.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen, I understand the water moccasins are very aggressive.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen, I agree but I have worked in the construction business for over 30 years here and have seen snakes but none like the snakes in the everglades. I clear the land to build out and never have seen the venom snakes. If you are close to a river you will have them there but they do not go fare from the water.

What I have seen many are the black snakes. The black and some of the brown snakes is what I see a lot here but even them are small not the large ones. All the other snakes I need to go to the everglades to see them. Some of my friends have seen them in hunting lands but in the cities not much. I have lived in Miami for 53 years and worked outside 50% of the time on lands so I am not sure why but I have not seen the venom type snakes.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

In a SHTF I would have a bigger problems with all the dogs that people would let go because of food. They would become wild and attack people and also with all the dead bodies in the street the dogs would go wild. Rodents would be the other problem. The last on the list would be snakes.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Yes, dogs gone wild forming packs will be a big problem just about anywhere. But as I said, the wildlife in FL gives me the heebie geebies. Some years ago I had the misfortune of inheriting a building lot in Lehigh Acres over by Ft. Myers on the Gulf Coast. I tried giving it away to a non-profit for them to sell but they wouldn’t take it so I sold it myself. Anyway, I was down there and went to see my land. It proved to be a very lucky day for some guy with the same name as me, but from NH. I get to my lot and it had just been bulldozed for a house to be built. The trees/plants hadn’t even wilted yet. Seems the contractor got the go ahead to build the house and pulled the lot #/location from a computerized system without noticing there were in fact three people owning property in Lehigh with the exact same name. I called the County officials to stop it before it went any further and when I asked about the damage to my property, the answer I got was that the contractor did me a favor, that the County wouldn’t send their people onto the property until it was cleared on account of the snakes. I rest my case.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MtnB you made me laugh with that one.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, Ft. Myers on the Gulf Coast is a different place then South Florida, First Fort Myers is surrounded by the Everglades and it is an area that is fairly new in development compared to the City of Miami. I owned a house on the beach close to the Fort Myers and there I saw many snakes, bobcats, alligators, and many scorpions the black ones that I had never seen in Miami. That area is full of animals. But we are talking about 250 miles away from Miami and on the other size of the State.

In Miami-Dade were the county line ends right next to the Everglades there you will see snakes but that is still very fare, 15 to 20 miles away. Not many will come this way. Like I said have not seen any in 53 years living here.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom, they probably know better than to mess with you. Unsuspecting northerners make for easier prey. They pick us out in the winter by how pale we are and then follow just waiting for the right moment, hoping they’ll get us before the alligators do.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, the pale northerners need to be careful for the mosquito, they love your blood! The mosquitoes run the other way when they see me!!

In a SHTF you would die in Florida from mosquito bites not snake bites believe me.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Brulen, I understand the water moccasins are very aggressive.

If you see one in the water while you’re swimming and you swim toward it, it will swim toward you. You really don’t want to bump into one. Wearing a facemask is a good idea. I like fins and wetsuit as well. But I’m never going swimming in Florida again, unless its a snorkle trip on a reef. Kayaking definitely, I like drifting down a river slowly and watching. A house boat trip in the everglades would be nice.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I have maybe gone three or four time to the everglades to see things, many times I just drive throw it. Many like the cat fish and go fishing there but I do not like cat fish. I am into fishing in the keys. Kayaking is very interesting since you can go into areas you can’t with a boat.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The critters wandering around on the land are bad enough down there without getting up close and personal to the ones in the water. If you want to go swimming, come up here where you can be assured nothing in the water is going to bite back. You first have to remove the ice is all like they did for yesterday’s event. The air temp was 14 so some of the folks say the water at 34 isn’t as cold as you might think. Who says folks up here don’t know how to have fun on a pleasant winter day.

http://www.wcax.com/story/28051557/penguin-plunge-20th-anniversary

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

You certainly want to prepare for confronting a wild dog pack in SHTF particularly in cities but rural dog packs are threat too.

“A couple of years ago, Detroit’s “50,000 feral dogs” made national headlines, which in turn drew eye rolls from residents sick and tired of seeing their city depicted as an apocalyptic hellscape, especially when that 50,000 number was sketchy at best.”

http://michiganradio.org/post/msu-researchers-want-figure-out-how-many-stray-dogs-are-really-roaming-detroit

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.