Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes the 45-70 is different. I think it would be a great hunters rifle + it looks great.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There was an interesting article on the .444 Marlin from some years back. The data can be extrapolated for the .45-70 quite easily.

Let me see if I can find it again.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

.444 Formula for survival p.1

.444 Formula for survival p.2

.444 Formula for survival p.3

.444 Formula for survival p.4

.444 Formula for survival p.5

Handloader 10 Cover

For nearly 15 years, I tucked a Marlin 1895 away with a couple different loads including a ball and shot load and a three ball load as well as a standard hunting load. It gave a very versatile package for the area I was in.
    Now having moved away from that area and into an area that requires distance not just power.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, you are a liberty on weapons my friend. Great article.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

The Marlin 1895 is a great rifle. I have one in 45-70. Also have a Marlin 336W in 30-30. Great, great rifles now that the Remington folks have figured out how to make them properly. That took a few years.

Was actually thinking about the .444 rather than the 45-70. Great round and hits like it were tossing sledgehammers. Did the 45-70 because my family is big enough on the 45-70 that I was able to get quite a few cases, projectiles, etc., from them.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The recent 1895’s still suck. Sorry about any language herein.
    A customer just brought a brand new one in, special ordered from the factory not a distributor.
    Between the crappy fit of the Boyd’s (OEM) stock, the metal was poorly fit at best, the lever was proud in a number of places, enough so that the gun didn’t feel even close to right.
    The action? Wouldn’t give you the price of a turd for the effort put into it originally.
    I had to completely rework the feed system, the lifter was rougher than some files I have around here.

Looked at the Remlins at Shot Show this spring, rumor was a former employer who specialized in cowboy guns had gone to work with them to help straighten out the problems, sad to say, it didn’t appear to be true. Even the display models were junk.

For a guy who makes his living guiding dudes in bear country during the summer and hunters in the fall/winter his gun had to work. I told him he should have just bought mine when I offered it to him. He still regrets not buying it. Especially after paying more for crap and having to have it fixed right out of the box.

The .444 has certain advantages, but not as many as some think. The problem comes from bullet twist, it’s designed around 240-265gr bullets and starts to shoot for snot with heavier. Secondly, many of the bullets available aren’t designed for rifle velocities and you get bad results. In my experience the 265’s are the most accurate.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Awesome Versatility, Whirli!

Don’t know if I need another caliber long gun, but it is appealing!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Whirlibird,
    My goal is 5,000 finished rounds plus 5,000 components to finish 5k more by reloading. That is just for my main battle rifle. Pistols and S-guns are much lower though I don’t plan to use them as much. Reloading is definitely critical post SHTF as there will be no new ammo manufactured for an unknown period of time that could be years.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Buy as many primers as you can afford. You can stuff them with BP if there is nothing else available.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

74 wrote:
    Buy as many primers as you can afford. You can stuff them with BP if there is nothing else available.

Duh, just figured it out. Black Powder :D

I was thinking about boolits :P

As for my goals, I’d like over 10K ready to go for battle rifles, (AR, AK) and reloading components.
    Lots of Components! AK is my secondary, but I have Brothers (as in BAND OF) that both have AKs. If you get “too much ammo” (no such thing, really…) you can trade or barter it. A few rounds at a time for safety, and always while ARMED!

I think Selco’s starting points in SHTF School (subscription info) are great minimums, he calls for:
    2 AKs and 5,000 rounds of ammo.
    2 Pistols and I forget how much ammo, thinking 2,000?

He suggests the Tokarev, or equivalent, which is a kick-@$$ round, prolly close to a 357 Sig in velocity and energy, but iirc, slightly better, or around 357 Sig +P? The domestic ammo for the Tok in the U$A is not as hot, and expensive, so go with something you are skilled at shooting, and can find ammo.
    40 S&W comes to mind, and it is inexpensive. +P in 40 is a hot round, plenty of energy and speed. Cheaper than 45 ACP, more power than 9mm. Perfect compromise between 9 and 45! (IMO)

But I really like my 45 ACP :D

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Underground,
    No question more is better. Having the right stuff now will make it easier later.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I inherited two Winchester 1895’s , they are great guns , fun to shoot , and rugged . One is a US Army cavalry carbine in 30-40 Krag , made in 1916 , and the other is a US Govt in 30.06 , made in the 1920’s , the 30.40 is the better one to shoot .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, Why do you like the Krag more than th 06? The Krag is about 350fps slower using 180 or 200gr bullets around 2400fps for the 180’s.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.