Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Having read the Joy of Socks thread, I thought I would start one on undies too. In hot weather, and especially with long walks or hikes where the legs are constantly in motion and I’m sweating, in years past I sometimes would get chafed in the inner thighs. Were that to happen when trying to bug out, you’d be in trouble. I came to realize that it was my wet from sweat undies causing the chafing, or more specifically my tighty whities. When I knew my planned activity might pose a risk of chafing I started going commando in the summer and that worked reasonably well, though it is somewhat less than ideal, and we’ll leave it at that. The solution I found was these:
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-underwear/67019.aspx I’ve been wearing them for several years now and have not chafed even once. They are certainly pricier than your basic 3 pair in a package kind of undies but they last for years. After several years use they are still like new. Well worth every cent in my opinion.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, a cure or prevention of chafing rash or any type of rash like baby rash is natural cornstarch. I have been using it for over 20 years and it works every time and it is cheap.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Never had a problem with either commando in summer and thin, cotton boxers in winter. Any use of briefs of ANY kind always seem to cause chafing for me. When I rode mountainbikes I had all sorts of issues with those derned tight shorts. Breezy and loose is good for me.

Not sure how people wear the grape smugglers.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Being a lady, I could maybe add that I’ve got a bit of everything. : ) Yes, the cotton men underwear as well. Because it works! And for horse riding you simply need the good all G-string for comfort.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Leopard wrote:</div>Being a lady, I could maybe add that I’ve got a bit of everything. : ) Yes, the cotton men underwear as well. Because it works! And for horse riding you simply need the good all G-string for comfort.

Now G-strings really blow my mind. I always thought that they would just cause chafing in placed that would be better unchafed.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I always carry spares , depends on how long I plan to be out there , but I carry one for each day , I wear briefs , so not like it takes up any space . As far as briefs being grape stranglers goes , if they are , then your wearing the wrong size ……simple as that . Others should do something similar …………nobody wants to be around people that smell like ASS !

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

MB – great post. Thanks for the link to the Duluth Buck Naked series. When in the field I used to take just two pair of 100% nylon PT shorts (shorter 80’s style). I wore one and kept one in the pack. Every night I took whatever shower/washdown I could and I did it in the shorts and also washed them with bar soap and hung them out to dry. Usually by morning they were already dry and ready to wear. I agree – the nylon lasts much longer than the cotton and keeps you much drier and that means more comfort. Mine finally wore out after at least 10 years because the waistband rubber gave out. The material was still good!

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Sledjockey wrote – “Now G-strings really blow my mind. I always thought that they would just cause chafing in placed that would be better unchafed.”
    I used to spend up to 6 – 7 hours on horseback. You wear jodhpurs (riding pants) and chaps (suede leggings) so that the stirrup leathers do not pinch your legs and for protection against thorn bush. With the tight pants, normal ‘undies’ tend to move upwards (giving you a wedgie) The correct size G-string is already up there, but being less material it is not uncomfortable. And it does not take up space in a BOB.

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Commando 24/7

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Duluth Trading rocks. Makes great stuff and is well made – good flannel shirts and socks too. Me? – g-strings suck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.