Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PainRemedy
    PainRemedy
    Survivalist
    member2

i hear more and more talk about the 22lr’s and the shortage of ammo i do own quite a few .22’s but one of which is a high powered air gun a Benjamin NP trail originally paid a little under 200 dollars for it but it was well worth it! i have yet to see a shortage on pellet’s it is very quiet, ammo is cheap 8 dollars a tin of 100 pellets and this gun is rated to kill most any small game even coyote’s if they can get close enough it originally ran at close to 1000 fps upgraded the piston in it and im running at 1400 fps! what do you all think about that as a survival weapon? wont be able to kill a deer but you can easily get food on the table without making much noise and able to pack a TON of ammo.

Survivors aren't always the strongest,sometimes they're the smartest, but more often than not they are simply the luckiest.

PainRemedy
    Survivalist
    member2

i hear more and more talk about the 22lr’s and the shortage of ammo i do own quite a few .22’s but one of which is a high powered air gun a Benjamin NP trail originally paid a little under 200 dollars for it but it was well worth it! i have yet to see a shortage on pellet’s it is very quiet, ammo is cheap 8 dollars a tin of 100 pellets and this gun is rated to kill most any small game even coyote’s if they can get close enough it originally ran at close to 1000 fps upgraded the piston in it and im running at 1400 fps! what do you all think about that as a survival weapon? wont be able to kill a deer but you can easily get food on the table without making much noise and able to pack a TON of ammo.

Survivors aren't always the strongest,sometimes they're the smartest, but more often than not they are simply the luckiest.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Good thinking, I know of a lot of gun guys doing this.

How did you upgrade to 1400 FPS? I have only seen the supersonic speeds with light pellets and lots of work, and maybe 1200 fps. You have my attention! I looked at the Benjamin, nice gun…

I did not go that route at the time, I started finding 22LR again.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In addition to the the supply and demand issue making them a good choice, I like the fact that several guns have built in silencers which do not require federal registration not being firearms.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

It is always good to have. I am still finding 22LR 100 for $8 which is high. That is $40 for 500 or $44 for 550. That is high priced. I use to get them for $23.95 for a 550 box of 22LR. But what I have found is the price of $50 for 500 is still about the same price of some of the air guns.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It can’t be to difficult to swage your own pellets. Once you were setup the supply would be unlimited.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

The”silencer” is not so quiet. I have one I got for Christmas and we were all shocked at how loud it was. The problem is how fast the projectile is moving. Once you break about the 1000 fps mark there is a sonic crack heard when the projectile leaves the barrel because it is breaking the sound barrier. Unless you drop bellow that speed it is going to make noise. I don’t care for the special alloy super fast pellets for hunting. They are lighter than their lead equivalent so they do not hit as hard and they lose velocity faster. I have shot several squirrels with both types of pellets and the lead pellets are much more effective and they are cheaper. They do shoot a little lower due to slower velocity but it’s not like you are shooting 100 yds with it. The other issue is it is hard to find a scope that will hold zero on these things without spending as much as you did on the gun itself. The ones they come with are junk. Everyone I know who has bought one of the scoped rifle combos has had the same problem. You get the scope sighted in and it loses zero within 4 or 5 shots. I got so tired of resighting I just took mine off and use the open sites. Once you understand all these issues and get past them, these guns are a blast. I like the fact that they are a single pump to get velocity. The old pump 10 times thing was a pain. The .22 caliber ones shoot about 800 fps but I havent seen any with silencers. If you could find one that would be a very quiet hard hitting pellet gun. I am working on making a set of open sites for my .22 cal as it did not come with any. Once I get them made the .22 cal will be my go to gun for pellet gun hunting.

PainRemedy
    Survivalist
    member2

i found another piston shortly after i bought it called the Nitro Piston 2 from crossman and it matched the gun so i decided to pick it up and yes i used copper plated pellets keeps the cleaning down and does more damage and distance.

and yes! i was looking into to it it would be quiet easy to melt down led just need a ceramic mold these led pellets will melt with using just a lighter,

PainRemedy
    Survivalist
    member2

yeah it makes a decent Ping but the difference between a .22lr then the air rifle the sound is much louder in the .22 than the pellet gun and it carries a lot further

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Pain – check out this video, it should answer your question on survival capabilities.

P.S. I got one of them on my Christmas list too…

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Novus I have to admit that is pretty impressive. I wonder which caliber he was using and what velocity it was set at. That is pretty cool to be able to tune the pressures. I just have a hard time spending 500 on a pellet gun.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Matt – the video has it as a Bejamin Marauder .22 cal. Not sure the velocity, but I’ve watched several of these and others and they are making these kills at 1100-1200 FPS placing the shot behind the ear. I’ve never heard of a 1400 FPS .22 – only .177 (which is up to 1650 now!) so the one he’s got is top speed. You can find them for cheaper – SportsmansGuide.com has a bunch of both cals. $160 was the cheapest .22 – .177 even cheaper. Probably give up a couple hundred FPS on the cheaper versions.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Pellet guns are great !!!!!!!!!!!! some are very powerful !!! it also solves some problems concerning noise , if you live in close proximity to other people . I hate mocking birds , and have declared war on them for the past 5 years now . The pellet gun drops every screeching vermin I see , and my neighbors are none the wiser to my activities . Now the whole neighborhood is much more quiet , thanks to my efforts .

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Hmmmm $160 huh. Might could save my lunch money for bit and pull that one off. Hehe……I wll be crusing sportsmans guide in the next few weeks.

PainRemedy
    Survivalist
    member2

Novus i seen that video when i was first thinking about getting an air gun! which is why i got the trail cause its a break barrel and i don’t need Co2 or compressed air to shoot it and i have seen a few of those co2 guns shoot up to 1800 fps! its amazing what they are making now days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.