Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I go for a lever gun like a Browning BLR in 358 Winchester, or a Marlin in 45-70 if they are legal.
    The BLR uses a detachable magazine so pointed bullets are safe.
    The following is from bullet maker Barnes, their opinions are probably valid.
    PDF].358 Winchester – Barnes Bullets
    http://www.barnesbullets.com

Profile photo of Vep
    Vep
    Survivalist
    member4

The BLR is a neat rifle. It has bolt action capabilities but with a lever action’s rate of fire. They also make a takedown version of it. I’ve heard of people with .308 BLR’s having taken BLR mags and FAL mags and with a MIG welder and some machinework, made hi-cap BLR mags out of them.

A while back I was watching a documentary of modern Eskimo hunters out on the icepack and the man they acknowledged as their best hunter was carrying a BLR. I couldn’t tell what caliber it was, but being Alaska and being a BLR, my guess it was a .300 WinMag or something similar. He killed a whale from shore with it and it resulted in a significant geyser of blood that just shot straight up when the whale was hit. He said the trick to shooting a whale was to catch it as it inhaled so it didn’t sink. The whole bunch of them then drug it ashore and slaughtered it on the ice.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

*yoink

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Vep wrote:</div>He said the trick to shooting a whale was to catch it as it inhaled so it didn’t sink.

won’t learn about that many places hehe. ty.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

KOS,
    I think you would do better with a hunting rifle. The sks isn’t going to be very good past 100yrds either. Buy a used safe queen Remington 760 or 7600 in 30-06 with a good 3×9 scope mounted on it. They go for abut $400 around here. It will be better at 800 yards then the sks at 200. Lighter and thinner.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

*yoink

*yoink

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Kos,
    Rate of fire is over rated. You posted s good video about it a few days ago comparing the m16 to the m14. A pump is fast. The recoil will delay your next shot more than the action. The weakness is hunting rifes usually hold 5 rounds. With a 30-06 using a soft point that’s one hit, one stop though. Optics are an important tool. Someone with military experience stated recently “distance is your friend.” Kinda like having a sword in a knife fight, keep your distance and don’t get hit.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

2500 rounds lol. The army has a habit of shooting for effect. When you have a platoon or squad you can just have everyone shoot the bushes where the bads guys might be hiding. If you have truckloads of ammo and mg’s it will work. You need to think along the lines of a sniper. Don’t be seen, keep a physical barrier between you and your opponent, and have a low round count.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

not sure i could do solo, going seven days without talking to someone was incredibly hard.

would have settled for a friend with an 80 iq and nothing but fart jokes to talk about. the problem is, that guy will give your position away.

i don’t know, may put my hard earned towards something else.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Kos, I’m just saying you don’t need a mg.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

That and not being walking distance from 4 established gangs, & h.a. in prince george, and the one group around here refered to by the locals as neo nazis. not to mention all the drunks/hunters.

not sure what the police will do, but from what i understand they have the sports store owners back in pg. hes a good guy, asked us to make sure we had plenty of food during the syria crisis last year.

ill grab an od six if i can find one cheap. force multiplier ftw.

sounds bad, but i kind of hope the Mormons in the area buy me some time. They don’t exactly keep opsec about their 2 year end of the world supply. and no i do not mean to imply me, raiding them, just that scum goes for perceived weak targets first.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Kos, I’m confused because on the one hand you’re talking about bears then about gangs.They usually aren’t in the same neighborhood.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

*yoink

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.