Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

http://mohacks.com/diy-high-altitude-balloon/

Just something to grease the security gears. It could be something you employ in a SHTF environment for intelligence gathering in a security role.

Just an idea that could be useful. May be a better option than say a UAV of sorts, since a balloon doesn’t really need a “pilot” (someone controlling it).

Thoughts?

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It would be a big signal to all. Here I am come to me.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I agree with 1974t150v on this one, it would be a big signal to all!

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Cool idea, Mr. Red. Thank you!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

A friend here in the country rescued an injured crow from the property. The birds are very smart. Crow is healthy now and hangs out there, coming to visit/eat several times a day. He comes and lands right beside him when outside doing chores and he can pick him up/get him to sit on his forearm. He has experimented with attaching a small cam to his leg for OPSEC. Still refining it. Agree a balloon would probably be far too noticeable no matter altitude.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I personally feel that if you’re set up well enough to be employing something like this then you already have a well worked security plan, so even if it is noticeable, it’s uses far outweigh the drawbacks of it being seen.

That being said, I posted this so that we can get some ideas on some remote viewing aerial platform so that you can still have eyes out in the space. If a balloon doesn’t work for you, what would? It’s all about research and development, and the more research we can do now, the quicker we could put things out into the space to assist in our survival should things go to sh*t.

Yes I know this is something really technical, but you should try to get some people who are good with electronics and communications like this into your group or whatever you want to call it now anyway, and begin that research of what could we do in these fields, what would work in our area, what do we already have on hand now that can help, or what can we find out in the space when things go bad that add to our stockpiles?

Again, not trying to say you’re wrong for discrediting this idea. What works for you might be wrong for me and so on. What I’m trying to do is to get you all to think outside the box here, to get into that mindset of “what can I build or employ that’s out there already that can increase my survivability” which is a running theme in many of my recent threads/posts.

Get what I’m saying?

Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

When I saw the topic what came to my mind is this group of high school students in California:
    Earth to Sky Calculus

Rob

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Red,

I’m not discrediting the idea, just pointing out that it will draw attention. I didn’t make any assumptions about security. I’m just thinking I want a low profile. But as you point out you think one could be deployed from a secure defensible area. Does someone make these now so you don’t have to design and build one?

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Sorry if I misunderstood. But from the way I see it, again, just my opinion, when you’re 4-6 months into a large scale collapse/shtf event, at that point you wouldn’t have to be as low profile as you would 3-4 weeks into the event (and this can vary from person to person, depends on a lot of things).

What I’m trying to do is to get people to start thinking and doing some initial problem solving before we have to do it with little resources available, especially the internet since you can research ANYTHING imaginable. So, if a balloon doesn’t work for some folks, maybe something like this would: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrot_AR.Drone

Again, just getting the creative juices flowing. Lets say we rock a balloon; if we have someone with good technical skills in our group, and someone who is has a pilots license or something of that nature, we have the makings for the human element to build it. Then we’d just need the equipment for it, etc. Could set up a live feed camera, some GPS software (if GPS is still available, who knows), maybe some sort of comms antenna, there’s a number of possibilities available.

And yes, I know this is under the assumption that you have ways to power this stuff, but you should have some form of electrical generation 4-6 months into an event, again it depends on a lot of things but you get the idea (electricity = good).

Maybe you go a more “get it done an ready now approach” and go with the Parrot Drone (or any other type of drone you can buy/make). Less work, but you won’t get the hight or distance as you would a balloon, and you have a flight time that’s only as long as the battery has juice. Maybe you could tinker with it to increase the flight time, who knows.

As a side note, the more I talk about this SHTF R&D, the more I realise that I’m becoming an evil genius of sorts hahaha.

Again guys, lets start thinking of how we can increase our survival odds. When the SHTF it’s not going to make technology disappear. Sure, we may get knocked back a few decades in some of those fields, but it’s not going to be like the tv show Revolution (which I don’t really like, btw). Stuff like this, for me, is higher places on my fields of study than things like wilderness survival, mainly due to the facts I know quite a bit anyway, I don’t see many points of having to go all Red Dawn and operate out of the woods, but also that I know technology can and will increase our effectiveness in a SHTF world, and that we can adapt it to work for us in amazing ways.

Anyway, what do y’all think? Am I just full of hot air? Get it, it’s a balloon thread?

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I think you are smart Mr. Red – and able to look clearly (from what we know at the moment) about the immediate future. The issue with this,for me, is that I still have to work it becomes a matter of priorities. With the limited time, the limited funds and skills I currently have, what is the best way to allocate them?

Before I can think about going more ‘high tech’ or allow my brain to invest time and energy thinking about this sort of thing I feel I have to better cover my basics – which are many, including implementing and practicing the way I will be need to be living when SHTF. Honestly? The work and time required to produce and preserve most of our own food and food for livestock, care for livestock and the property, work a job/business, teach myself how to better sharpen tools, weapons and implements, learn to be more proficient at using a treadle sewing machine and repair it, organize and increase basic supplies for the homestead etc takes about all my time and brain energy!

Communication/info gathering is but one area – and it is an area I have managed to do some things about. We sit higher above than other terrain here and the place came with a small building used for something else once that has been equipped as sort of a lookout post. Can see for about 1 mile around from there. A friend into flying radio controlled airplanes and helicopters has taught me how to fly them the last few years. Camera can be attached but their distance is not great. A few friends/like minds that live on the gentle mountains that surround us have been working with us to begin use of low-tech communication between us. With great binoculars, at least in daylight so far, if you know where to look – I can learn a few things from the signals they put up (colored nylon pennants) – we are working on this as we have time.

I don’t think you are full of hot air! I only regret I have only 24 hrs in a day and a brain that does require some rest!

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Smart? Ha, I wish, but thanks lol. Yeah I agree there are many baselines one must be able to cover before we do jump into some other experimental ideas, I guess it’s easier for me to look into those ideas since I have a lot of mine already nailed down to one extent or another.

With regards to actually putting the resources toward such R&D, yes money can be a bit of a problem. I’m by no means rich, or even well off, just like many of you guys. That’s where being frugal comes into play, as well as looking at garage sales or flea markets, working with older and “out dated” technology (which might be better than new stuff, regarding EMP and such), and in some cases, checking out junk yards.

Don’t get me wrong, things like food, water, security, all of those need to be covered and you need to get really really good at those. But once you do, things like this can start being worked on, and it doesn’t have to be balloons or UAVs. Things like how can I get water to my crops/animals more efficiently, or how can I heat my home with less wood in the winter, how can I set up something so I have cold water during the heat of summer. We know we’ll find out about many problems like that once we’re neck deep into it, so wouldn’t it be wise to take some slow afternoon or weekend to look up a few things here and there, get some ideas, and write down how you could solve problems with limited resources?

Anyway, way off topic. I really hope you all get where I’m coming from on this. I’m not saying to not worry about basic prepping, but to start looking at problems you may face, when you can, and how to combat them BEFORE they do become problems. I mean, isn’t that the whole basis of prepping anyway?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.