Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ArcticSurvivor
    ArcticSurvivor
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I came across this article and found it interesting. Maybe some inexpensive handguns can work when you need them. Of course it is important to get good quality tools, (especially for defensive weapons.) But if you don’t have much money, maybe the Hi-Point could work. Just a thought…

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/?p=66912/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=ddolbee&utm_campaign=20140809-chronicle0809-450poundbearvshipointpistol

-ArcticSurvivor

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Yes it worked, and one could drive across the country with bald tires on your car.

The Hi points are workable but not long lived.
    They won’t hold up to heavy use, but if you can’t afford better, they will do until you can.

I have had several through the shop, broken firing pins have been common.

There’s a difference between cheap and inexpensive.
    My daughter has a S&W .38 that I built from parts. Including a new set of grips, it cost under $100.

My current Colt 1911, well under $150.

Being a gunsmith does have its advantages. But you can luck into deals when you least expect, just keep cash handy.

ArcticSurvivor
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Thanks for the info Whirlibird! The Hi-Points might work as hand outs to family members or friends that show up after the shtf.
    -ArcticSurvivor

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

For years my handouts have been high quality guns.
    Why? Because my life may depend on that gun working. And the person I give it to, certainly so.

Secondly I give them out long before they’re needed. That way the person has a chance to practice and handle the gun before zero hour.

My parents got a 1911 and a Garand I built.
    A friend got a well used Glock and a 98 Mauser on permanent loan.
    Another got a 1911, a good hunting rifle and shotgun after a fire took everything but his pajamas, his wife and kids were out of town. He eventually not just returned them but added to the loaner pile in thanks.

All I had or would use for my own defense or defense of my family.
    Call me a snob but I’d rather hand out something proven and known, and that will last.

ArcticSurvivor
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Good point! As you can see I’m still learning. I just found the article interesting.
    -ArcticSurvivor

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Highly interesting, but one must think of where to pinch pennies and certain items are not that place.

I look at the Hi Points as butterknife guns.

What are those? You wouldn’t waste a chefs knife when a butterknife would do.

In firearms that means the handout you give to someone to go get their own. Back in WWII, we dropped thousands of FP-45 “Liberator” pistols on France. Hardly a combat weapon, it was essentially a single shot .45 with some spare ammo in the handle.
    The idea was for you to walk up to a German soldier, and plug him with the Liberator, take his rifle, ammo and grenades and hand the Liberator off to another partizan to do the same.
    Pretty soon you are fairly well armed, hopefully having put your captured guns and gear to use.

There was no point dropping 1911s when we didn’t have enough for ourselves, but a cheap pos that only needed to fire a dozen times, that was possible.

Fast forward to today.
    Everyone talks of consolidation, getting rid of odd guns and ammo.
    When the better option is to just pick up a box or two of ammo for it and put it back after making sure it works and is sighted in.

Now when long lost cousin Vito comes over, you have something to give him that doesn’t take from your stores and he can go back home better off than he was, and acquire more.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

My HP experience varies a bit, but I did sell 2 C9s because of possible problems like Whirli listed.
    I do still have 2 JCP 40s, and 2 JHP 40s, as well as one each of the carbines. I do plan to pick up
    extra firing pins before SHTF, but I have “more expensive” weapons in all calibers except 45.
    I plan on a 1911 (sweeet deal on an R1 once I decide to get it!)

A Hi Point can be good for many thousands of rounds typically before a firing pin needs replaced. But it is not all that uncommon. I myself did get these weapons as handouts, but they will likely be the last ones handed out, too. Depends on the person I’m arming. Excellent Barter Bait, if you go that route ;)

Just my 2¢

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

PS: I’d definitely recommend +P for a Bear!
    Actually a bigger caliber, as well. But you gotta dance with the girl who brought ya!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I remember reading a long time ago about a guy who was bird hunting in Alaska.

His dog comes hauling ass back towards him, a very large bear hot on his ass.. Bird hunter guy stood his ground and unloaded every round of birdshot he had in his shotgun at the bear. Bear dropped dead at his feet.

It can happen. However, I’m not going bear hunting with a bunch of No. 8’s…

Luck can often save a man, if his courage hold.

But I’m not going to count on luck to save me. If I had nothing and all’s I had was enough coin for a High Point – and I needed something now, then I’d buy one and make do until I had enough coin for something better.

But knowing what I know, a High Point isn’t something I would trust my life in. “Dodgy” is a good adjective to describe them… sorry, but I’m an even bigger snob than Whirl. High Point, Jennings, Raven, Kel-Tec, Iver Johnson, Bryco… these pieces of **** have no earthly business being in existence. Just my opinion… not saying folks haven’t defended themselves before with them in the past. I’m saying I wouldn’t own one. Ever.

Best advice I ever got was that if you owned one of these POS’s, the best thing you could do is toss the weapon to your opponent, since it was more of a danger to him if he fired it than it was to you…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus great to have you back brother.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.