Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks for the videos c. I hadn’t heard of her. She’s a very interesting character. I looked her up and she apparently went on to become an aerospace engineer for NASA despite leaving school in the 7th grade.

Those who have that mindset and skillset will adjust better than most to an economic collapse or similar SHTF scenario, but I am glad to have had a steady paycheck my whole adult life. There were periods in which I didn’t like my job and believe me I put in a lot of hours, but it sure was nice being able to buy and do pretty much anything I wanted.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome hillbilly chic. I was raised much as you were., except during a different era.We lived on a farm during WWII.. We had a little house out on the prairie too. Never did figure out why it had two holes as I never did see anybody else go in while it was in use. We milked our cows by hand, churned our own butter and also made lye soap. We used the lye soap on Saturday evenings before we went to town, kids first, then Mom and lastly Dad. After Dad was done, you couldn’t see the bottom of the wash-tub anymore.
    We moved into town after the end of the war.We were reasonably well to do, I guess. I got a new pair of bib-overalls, a new shirt, and a new pair of shoes at the start of school and again at Christmas. Another family only got new shoes at the start of the school year. They tied their shoe-laces together, draped them around their neck and walked barefoot to school, even in the snow. There were 3 boys so they only bought one pair of shoes and the next two got hand-me-downs. They had a family emergency the third year we lived in town because the middle boy grew so much that he wore the same size shoe as the oldest so they had to buy two new pairs. The youngest boy made out like a bandit though as he had two pairs to grow into. Just had to use more Sears-Robuck pages in the toes to make them fit. Ron S

Profile photo of hillbilly chic
    hillbilly chic
    Survivalist
    member2

hello ron s. nice to meet you well i was a sixties child but i appreciate what your saying we never wore shoes in summer except to church of course and daddy killed a hog in the fall so some of us that needed em got shoes my husband still laughs at me says im only woman that could run bare foot thru a ditch of glass and not get cut ha! we didnt have power at the old pickett place toted water thought we was rich when we moved to the new house we called it never was finished inside but it wasnt a shotgun cabin with the chinking out and paper or whatever we could scrounge to plug the holesnone the less we had a proper driller well and a jam up bucket to draw water but on wash day i got tired there was 10 people to wash after then wrinch water too that and dumping the ash pan was my job i was 4.5.6. years old everybody had a job no questions asked do it or pay the price my daddy was irish and blackfoot he didnt play my momas cherokee and hungpapa life was tuff but our family was so tight we sensed the atmosphere in the room and instintually knew exactlly what the deal was people definately need to attune their senses in the times were livin in

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hello and welcome from Kentucky, chic…

I don’t live too far from Pinnacle Rock.. you and me are more-or-less neighbors…

Pull up a stoop and stay awhile…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of hillbilly chic
    hillbilly chic
    Survivalist
    member2

hey malgus nice to meet you appreciate the welcome this is a cool site lots of diversity,i live waaaay back in the woods been debating the urban suburban question pros and cons me and my daughter was talking about the drawbacks of basically being off by yourself kinda tuff to decide conventional wisdom is less people less danger but also means bad guys can take their time and i know nothing is impermable so my plans proballyto bug out to the thickest deepest cover i can find and try to ride it as long as possible got any suggestions?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.