Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Xocjm….what?! Here I try and make a small effort to cheer people up and you rain all over me with your post! :) You guys are something sometimes! I bet you didn’t keep a smile on yourself for 15 minutes if you clicked on that blog! Nothing against it at all…but it breaks my zen as I go harvest soy. Carry on! :) Later all

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>tweva wrote:</div>Xocjm….what?! Here I try and make a small effort to cheer people up and you rain all over me with your post! :) You guys are something sometimes! I bet you didn’t keep a smile on yourself for 15 minutes if you clicked on that blog! Nothing against it at all…but it breaks my zen as I go harvest soy. Carry on! :) Later all</blockquote

You had a great post I read it sorry to bring you down!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

When I heard the 1 in 3 adults in the media recently are in a collection process it shocked me to my core, but in retrospect I am guessing that this is grossly false statistic, but one that is being accepted as fact. I know that the economy continues to get worse and lots of folks are close to the edge but I’m not buying that 1 in 3 are actually in a debt collection process. My guess is that they are including everyone who might have ever been late a day paying the phone bill or electric bill etc.

30 years or so ago when “stranger danger” was all the rage, it was being tossed around as fact that their were 500,000 kids kidnapped each year in the US. As young parents at the time it scared us. Then I did the math on a prorated basis for my community and thought this number can’t be right because I’ve never heard of any kids in my town being abducted, let along multiple kids every year. Someone subsequently researched the topic and it turned out that there were about 800 abductions by strangers a year, not 500,000. Somebody was getting funding for child safety programs off of the 500,000 figure however while others made money selling fingerprint kits for your kids.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>When I heard the 1 in 3 adults in the media recently are in a collection process it shocked me to my core, but in retrospect I am guessing that this is grossly false statistic, but one that is being accepted as fact. I know that the economy continues to get worse and lots of folks are close to the edge but I’m not buying that 1 in 3 are actually in a debt collection process. My guess is that they are including everyone who might have ever been late a day paying the phone bill or electric bill etc.

30 years or so ago when “stranger danger” was all the rage, it was being tossed around as fact that their were 500,000 kids kidnapped each year in the US. As young parents at the time it scared us. Then I did the math on a prorated basis for my community and thought this number can’t be right because I’ve never heard of any kids in my town being abducted, let along multiple kids every year. Someone subsequently researched the topic and it turned out that there were about 800 abductions by strangers a year, not 500,000. Somebody was getting funding for child safety programs off of the 500,000 figure however while others made money selling fingerprint kits for your kids.

I’m sorry but I disagree, Half of all working age adults are unemployed and that is a statistic from our own government. If half are unemployed then a third in collection is a very reasonable number. Lets us also not forget this was not from the main stream media but a respected blog (which by that I mean I respect it) that has no agenda, or at least no more agenda than trying to make a living. Well I listen to myself and I guess we are all fucked!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Xocjm, maybe the statistic is correct but I’m going to take a wait and see stance on it and see who else corroborates it. If it is true that 1 in 3 can’t pay all of their current bills, then we’re in more trouble than I thought.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MTB,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/29/americans-in-debt_n_5629137.html

This may come from the same study but it is everywhere in the news.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>Xocjm, maybe the statistic is correct but I’m going to take a wait and see stance on it and see who else corroborates it. If it is true that 1 in 3 can’t pay all of their current bills, then we’re in more trouble than I thought.

I agree with you and I hope that it is not correct because then I will have to agree with you again that we would be in more trouble than I thought too.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>MTB,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/29/americans-in-debt_n_5629137.html

This may come from the same study but it is everywhere in the news.

Well there ya go!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.