Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I had to think about this for a while.
    So much depends on circumstances/atmosphere/scenario
    And in the end, yes I agree with Selco. My will to survive is
    stronger than my instinct to help another.
    It is a good thing to have a solid philosophy/belief system you have examined
    already so you can cope/handle with any guilt you might feel, no matter how
    brief, over a future choice not to aid another.
    Just my 2 cents

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I have to say, my ONLY duty is to my family not some stranger in the street, if I can help without putting myself in danger then okay, but my first inclination would be not to get involved and get out of the general area as fast as possible. I am no good to my family dead!

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

There are many parts of a grid down situation that I can deal with. I, so far, have not been able to get my head around walking away from hurting people. My head understands – my heart and my emotions struggle with needing to do that. Since I have never been in that situation before, I don’t know what I would do, but I suppose if you see it on a regular basis, you get hardened to it. Too sad to have to make such hard choices.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

In reference to the question someone asked above–could you mercy-kill a suffering, dying person? That is a gut-wrenching question. I know it impacted me deeply, many years ago, when the National Geographic quoted a young Scandinavian man who lived far from civilization with his parents. He came upon his father lying on the ground, mauled by a bear, with skull split open and the brains visible if not falling out. They could not possibly get him to medical care, so he shot his dad. Gruesome, but perhaps merciful. I pray I never have to make that decision for a human. Animal, yes.

But I agree, it is not wise to help anyone if you are at risk, especially if others are depending on you. If a loner, the choice is yours. If things go down, life will be like it is in nature–brutal, without mercy, unkind to those who make mistakes.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.