Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

underground, yea i know, sorry if i was implying “you” ness lol.

not directing it at you. sorry.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Fitness is great when you have it, otherwise it’s a limitation that requires planning and adjustments. At some point in your lifetime fitness becomes a very relative idea.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

KOS wrote:

underground, yea i know, sorry if i was implying “you” ness lol.

not directing it at you. sorry.

No worries!
    Just wanted to give out the link, also…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Toby C, “presence of mind” is the skill I need to improve the most after this last summers experience.
    ——————————–(from a book I read once every few months)
    Amidst the turmoil of events, do not lose your presence of mind

The Counterbalance Strategy

In the heat of battle, the mind tends to lose its balance. It is vital to keep you presence of mind, maintaining your mental powers, whatever the circumstances. Make the mind tougher by exposing it to adversity. Learn to detach yourself from the chaos of the battlefield.
    ———————————-

sounds stupid, but my thought on training this skill up is by stressing myself in difficult situations, like social isolation on a week long camping trip, rationing water (felt like i quit smoking… boy was i bitchy) etc… close bear encounter was the closest ive been to a combat experience, really slowed my shotgun performance even tho i practiced for bear encounters, hearts beatin to fast lol.

and believe it or not, overcoming boredom is tough as hell by yourself, staying motivated requires discipline. my mind constantly rebels.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Underground, read that article thanks. Makes sense that people wouldn’t be able to tell junk gold from 24k.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

KOS wrote:
    Underground, read that article thanks. Makes sense that people wouldn’t be able to tell junk gold from 24k.

Yeah, I hate to hear about people getting cheated, but the prepared mind is ready for these situations.

I’d love to hear more about the “Counterbalance Strategy”. Is that the name of the book?

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

This is all fantastic stuff guys, thanks for all the thoughts and links etc so far.

Good point Kos, I wrote in this forum a while ago about the need to train for that sort of ‘mental toughness’ and some of the things I work with to achieve that…

Profile photo of Meduseld
    Meduseld
    Survivalist
    member2

Practical experience. In a number of survival school, army, and other, scenarios, I found that there were always guys who “knew more”. They possessed every tool, novelty, gimmick, and piece of equipment that opened and shut, and they had read all of the books, and sometimes they were the fittest, and boy they were the first out of the gates. But they tended in the end, almost always, to be the first to get homesick, gippo guts, sun-stroke, hyperthermia, hypothermia, blisters, and whatever else – of any description, you care to name.

But the guys who had cheap shoes, less-expensive gym contracts – if any, had not watched survival programmes on cable TV, and who had never read a book on bush lore, but who had actually spent some time in the cold without an expensive jacket, had actually spent days and weeks in their childhoods getting bitten by mosquitos and stung by poison ivy, who had gone without as much water as they would have liked once or twice, and who knew what is was like to be in the dimness of a forest, or the emptiness of the savannah, tended to do better.

There are always exceptions, and sometimes genetics, willpower, physical fitness, and education, play magnificent roles, especially willpower(!), but generally-speaking there is no substitute for practical experience over YouTube videos.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

I got this in a PM, but thought I’d add it to the thread here :)

“Moral issues, how do you determine who to help, how much and how to say no. Waste and biohazard disposal. Communications. Undetected movement. Fitness, medical. But far and away number one is scavenging and repurposing.
    People need to see differently and be able to create what they need from what they can find.”

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby & contributor,
    All good topics, moral issues need predetermined guidlines.

Hmm. The house was just hit with a sonic boom or such. Rattled everthing.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Others have sort of said this in different ways but I think a critical part of being ready for whatever comes along is being able to quickly accept whatever has happened as real, and then proceeding accordingly. Grief, shock, and wishful thinking (that whatever has happened didn’t really happen or will fix itself) can paralyze you at a time when you need to be taking action. When your reality has changed, accept that it has happened and move forward quickly.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Illustrates the points raised well. Acknowledge, accept, act, adapt…Go to 0.43 to skip the rant, but a whole lot of ‘blindspots’ show up here… Eventually the victim gets out of there…

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Underground the book is 33 strategies of war by robert greene. he wrote two others worth reading, Seduction, and 48 Laws of power. I would skip the 50th law (no fear) because he wrote it practicing the principles in 48 laws of power, (sucking up to that POS 50 cent).

I read them all at least once per year. If i had read them… in SCHOOOOOL i wouldnt have found myself homeless all those years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.