Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

My name is Amanda, 36.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

The Northeast Blackout of 2003 was an eye-opening experience that completely changed my perspective on life. When the lights went out I was at the office, and had to drive home to my third-floor apartment with zero knowledge about preparedness. That drive home (at that time less than five miles through a small town) was pure chaos that took over four hours, and I then made the mistake of stopping at a convenience store where I saw the first examples of what frightened people will do when they are caught off guard in a SHTF situation. After making it home I thankfully realized I at least had water from the independent township supply, and my gas stove was still able to cook (though it being 97 degrees outside was a deterrent for that). It was the most helpless and vulnerable I have ever felt, and I swore to make major changes to the clueless way I was living.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

I’m not preparing for any particular scenario, I just want to learn as much as possible so I can feel somewhat confident in my own abilities. My hubby has no interest in it, so I prepare for both of us.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

I’ve adopted what I like to call “Invisible Preparing”. By all outward appearances our home is totally normal. When I purchased my neglected 1960’s home to renovate most people commented on how uniquely solid the poured concrete construction was, and how it was odd that there was no way to access the first floor except for the front door (since it is built down the side of a hill). No one noticed the hidden storage cubbies, the fact that even at 100 degrees outside the woods surrounding the house keep it at a comfortable 78 degrees, or the multiple tiers of overgrown gardens in the backyard (which are now cleared out and planted). Every renovation since then has been a dual purpose: blend in, but make sure it serves some function down the line if SHTF.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

“Two is one, and one is none.” :)

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

Pour a shot, toast the end, and go out knowing I enjoyed the ride.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Amanda11,
    Welcome to the forum your input will be appreciated, don’t let any of the boy’s talk deter your interest.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey Amanda11

Hope you are going to learn allot and enjoy the company

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Hello Amanda, you learn good lessons from that blackout. Welcome here!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Profile photo of etxgranny
    etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

Hello Amanda and welcome! I just love your last answer on your post: “Pour a shot, toast the end, and go out knowing I enjoyed the ride”. – See more at: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/hello-from-michigan/#sthash.HFZuSLDa.dpuf

What a great attitude!!! Continued sucess in your preparedness plans!

Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Thank you for the welcome everyone! It was in another site’s Q & A that I stumbled upon Selco’s amazing story of survival, and it inspired me to reach out and start learning more through the experiences of others. Thank you so much for sharing your story, Selco, and for starting this site. It’s the first one I’ve felt compelled to join.

I realize now that one of the major holes in my strategy is a lack of communication with other like-minded people. I don’t have much family, and your blunt statement “Strength was in the numbers, if you were alone in the house, you’ve been probably robbed and killed, no matter how well armed” actually made me sit back in my seat, stunned. Of course you are right, and I had to address my own arrogance. Since eating that slice of Humble Pie I’ve begun networking with other good friends in close proximity who I suspected shared a similar mindset, and relationships are being formed that will hopefully lead to our “Safety in Numbers” group.

I’m looking forward to learning from everyone, and hopefully I can share a few things as well. Happy Friday to all!

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome!

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Amanda – great story and glad that you were able to wake up from it, unlike many who just go back to sleep. My wife used to be much the same about our preps, but I’ve used subtle triggers over time where she now sees the benefits of it and is even starting to think about putting things aside that she thinks we may need. In So-Cal, we’ve had numerous blackouts and brownouts of varying time frames and also the wildfires (one where we had to evac) and those in addition to the stuff on TV where I’ll say “Boy, I’ll bet those hurricane Sandy people wished they had some propane and a stove set aside” or whatever and she finally got it. Good luck, it can be a tough nut so hang in there!

Look forward to your comments – lots of lessons to be learned here so don’t be afraid to ask anything.

Take Care, K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Thank you for the welcome, Novus! I have really been enjoying the forum threads and can see there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained here from many different perspectives. And it’s truly refreshing to find an online community as respectful of everyone’s opinions as this one is.

That’s wonderful your wife is becoming open to the concept! I’ve been slowly trying to bring the Hubby around on being prepared and learning new skills, but I think there will always be people who bury their heads in the sand refuse to acknowledge the unknown. He considers this my “hobby”, and that’s okay because we’re a team and I’ll learn enough for both of us. And since I’ve taken steps to ensure none of my preps are visible, he doesn’t feel like it’s shoved in his face. I’m keeping my fingers crossed he might be more open to the concept in the future, but time will tell.

That being said, it still boggles my mind that so many people haven’t woken up. During the Blackout every single person I knew had no power or water for at LEAST two days, and some were as long as nine. Since I lucked out with the township water I was the only one with an actual flushing toilet and had power the next morning, so my apartment was overcrowded with ten people (and all of them brought coolers full of meat from their rapidly defrosting freezers). We made the best of it and they all enjoyed being able to take a shower, sit in air conditioning (or do any other normal bodily functions other people with no water were having to do in rapidly overflowing toilets), but to this day not one of those original ten people have bothered putting any plan into place. The shower, toilet and A/C were all luxuries: even then I remember thinking “What happens when we go through all of this food we took out of our freezers?” and feeling compelled to change my entitled “someone/something will show up and save the day” attitude.

I look forward to your comments as well, and thanks again for the welcome!!

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Amanda – saw you in the forums already, that’s great. I think Tweva is/was our only remaining female contributor so I’m sure she’ll be glad to see you commenting there. With any luck Gypsy Wanderer Husky will come back after a time. MOST of the members are cordial, but recently we’ve had some run-ins with a member who has some pretty far out consipiracy theories. On the side, I’ve been talking to him as I think that everyone has some contributions to be made (and he does), but some of the other members are not what you’d call happy with some of the things he says. You’ll see him on there every once in a while. He only uses public computer access as he wants to remain somewhat untraceable…

You’re so right – that’s amazing that every one of those people that obviously would have had difficulty during the blackout didn’t learn a thing. I think it’s because we as American society have become too complacent with the luxuries we have. Unless most are forced to go without for a LONG time (long enough to become REALLY uncomfortable), there will be no impact and thus no learning and no desire to prepare for anything worse.

I got the jist on the water – but how did you have power also? Just curious, I have a generator, but I’d hate to run it long term as that’s a clear sign that I have something others don’t and would bring them around. I hope to get some solar up and running in the near future.

BTW, I read your comment on another topic about the neighbors and I think you have it right. I also have neighbors whose kids we have grown up with (they feed our dog while we’re away) and my other neighbor is elderly – there’s no way that I would turn them away as that is just not the Christian thing to do so we’ll all share our preps and they just won’t last as long. I really couldn’t consider anything else, family or otherwise. Besides, if I did try and turn them away my own family would want me to be generous – i.e. “Give until it hurts, and then give some more”. Not that I can take in every stray, but those I have a relationship with I definitely would and I’m sure they would contribute even though they aren’t preppers now.

Thanks again for the discussion! K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Hello again Novus!

I’ve read some of Tweva’s comments, and she seems like an incredibly intelligent woman (along with everyone I’ve seen posting so far, which is wonderful). I’ve seen the wilder conspiracy theories lately, but in real life we have to deal with all types of people and their personal ideas, so I can simply ignore it if gets a little too “out there” for me. Keeping the respect while learning is what we’re all here for.

I think you are absolutely right about people waking up. I’ve wondered if possibly the Blackout was too easy on the people I had at my apartment, and subsequently it wasn’t real to them because they felt like I was taking care of them. The responsibility I felt toward these people might have made ME prepare, but to them it was probably like a little adventure. I have been putting together an account of what happened to share with the group. In NO way is it a survival story, and should probably be titled something like “An idiot that lucked out”, but I’m proud that I learned from what happened. To someone like Selco (or any of the other more experienced people here) it will probably seem pretty silly, but it might also offer a bit of insight into the minds of people out there who aren’t at all ready if something DOES happen.

I understand completely how you feel about neighbors, and I’m hoping that my clumsy steps toward permaculture will open a few more conversations as well: we recently had to dig up a large portion of our front yard to replace an old sewer pipe, and instead of replanting useless grass I’m starting a new garden. Curious neighbors have been walking over to ask about it (and the work we had done on the line), and they are really interested in the idea. Or maybe they’re hoping I’ll give them excess produce, who can say? :)

Hope you are having a great Thursday!

-Amanda

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

Welcome Amanda It sounds like you already have a good idea of what we are all about. I am like you in that my wife is not so much into prepping…..well thats not true she believes in what I am doing and is happy to let me do all of it! But I love her and the job she has I’m glad to do the prepping for us.

Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Hello Xocjim. I’m still learning, and in the past my efforts were primarily aimed at building up reserves. Now that we are in our permanent home I’m trying to expand my preparedness knowledge to make it more site-specific. Making the most of the property is important, and I’m finding out pretty quickly that there is a lot of information out there to help with this!

My hubby and I both work full time, so I dedicate certain weekday evenings and whatever time I have on the weekends to my efforts. This first year has been more about trying to fix up the house itself and clear out a LOT of exterior overgrowth from the neglectful previous owner, as well as figuring out what I’m working with in terms of lighting and soil conditions. My city does not allow chickens (GRR!), so I have been looking into alternate sources of egg/meat production.

I’m always hopeful my hubby will get more on board. I suggested we try a “Clean Eating” diet and get rid of processed and packaged foods (he’s been interested in that for a while), so seeing where our food comes from might sway him a little more. Being able to physically go to the garden and pick/dig his own food makes it a real experience, and he’s already been asking me about certain vegetables he’d like to have. Time will tell, and in the meantime I’ll just keep trucking along!

Hope everyone is having a good Monday,

-Amanda

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

I like you cannot have chickens were I am at but a friend of mine has lots of chickens and they give my wife and I eggs. It is amazing the difference in fresh free range chicken eggs! I hope the whole world holds together long enough for my wife to retire and we get to our place in the Blue Ridge Mountains so we get get our chickens, goats and garden going!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.