Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

From the male point of view, its not so much questioning the why, but understanding the how. As in how you came to that conclusion, got that answer.

My wife and I get the same answer but by two different paths, I constantly am watching and asking why. Because her version often doesn’t make any sense until explained.

And congratulations.

Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

Whirlibird you are right I suppose,I am not used to explaining my preps because I usually keep it to myself but you have given me another way of looking at it rather than feeling the need to justify the decision I will explain the reasons. Heck, now I think about it, I may do that during all our conversations… you might be on to something! ;)

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Emjay.

If your worried about ebola, I suggest full face respirators (100-200$). n95 is good, (they say 95%). But a p100 and full face respirator is the next best thing to external air supply or re breathers, as far as I am aware.

And its very wise to keep your preps to yourself. Even on the web. I think You are in good company here for chit chat on the subject, this community is relatively small.

*edit splurge for a fitting test on the full face mask, it will open your eyes in regards to n95 and or any mask that is not sealed to your skin.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

emjay, I enjoyed your “rambling”…no need to apologize! I admire your determination to prep while raising seven children. God bless you! I have one child (so far) and I find myself challenged on a daily basis. I might have to ask your input about prepping while raising children at a later date.

Also, congrats on your hubby becoming enlightened to the idea/philosophy of prepping. My wife is from a war devastated Third World country, but I was surprised at her attraction to wanting us move to Manhattan when she first came to the U.S. I suppose it was the same thing that attracts millions of tourists every year. We compromised on an area outside of the city but close enough to get there in relatively little time (later this proved to be a detriment more than a benefit). Well, after nearly a decade of living here, the charm of NYC has finally worn off and she did a complete 180. Now she wants to get out of the area and go rural. Hallelujah! She’s seen the light!

Question about Australia: What are your gun laws down there and how does it effect your prepping?

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome emjay. Don’t be concerned with rambling or explaining reasons for making a decision. I am that way myself and I haven’t had anyone criticize me for it, although they might have wanted to. Please remind your husband, if in Australia he handles money as well as cards for the fare, he might want to invest in a hand sanitizer as they both carry a lot of germs. I drove taxi off and on for the last 10 years, here in the states,and sometimes I just had to shudder whem I had to touch either one(I used GERM-X here after the people left the cab).That may be like shutting the barn door after the horses got out but at least I flt a little better about it, and my hands smelled better.

Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

KOS, I have a few n95 respirators. I cant find p100(?) I bought saftey googles and face sheilds, gloves and shoe covers from ebay about three months ago just in case. I do have a ‘sleepout’ that is currently a movie room which will be the sick room should a pandemic flu (or any serious shtf scenario) occur. I hope in our rural setting simply staying at home will be enough to keep us as safe as possible. I was very worried about ebola to begin with, but I am not so concerned now , though watching very closely.
    Inshala, our gun laws here in Australia I am not to sure about aside from having a license and the gun being stored in a locked box with bullets stored in a seperate locked box. As to defense I can shoot at a target with a bow, but I do not have anything defense wise. A few years ago a local and I were talking about the state of the world and he, being a farmer and in his 60s made mention of his ability to defend his home with fire arms. I told him id visit him and borrow one should the need arise in a shtf senerio. I was joking and he told me if that sort of thing occured I could do just that. To be honest though we do not have a big gun culture here so most people dont feel the need for a gun. I do however believe people should have the right to own one if they desire. I considered getting a shooters license but it is not something I have thought of again since the initial thought crossed my mind. I do know how to make a bow and arrows though and I assume should we ever be in that senario I could use what ever was at hand to protect myself and family, how well remains to be seen.
    When it comes to prepping with kids I think of basics and things that would have many uses. I dont go for toys and games though books and colours I have some of. I think with seven kids I’d have enough to carry and worry about in a bug out situation and I keep it minimal.
    We camp a lot (and I hate it with kids in normal times) but it has helped me in the past when we have been flooded in for quite a few days with all power and communications down. I pride myself I making do with what I have.
    Feel free to ask me any thing you like if I can help I’d be happy too.
    Sorry for the long post again guys. It seems I cant reply to the individual comment.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Emjay,
    If it continues to grow in afrika and there are numbers like they project 10,000 new cases a week. It will grow as a problem for everyone else. This is not over by a long shot.

Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

I am with you on that. How bad I cant begin to know. I keep waiting for the people close to the nurses , in both Spain and America to get sick. THEN I will be in ‘it’s coming’ mode. I am not underestimating it and certainly not like so many here and around the world laughing and joking about ‘ebola cereal’. I am ready for it it in one sense but woefully under prepared in another.

Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

Ron S,
    Yes he has hand sanitiser and a eucalyptus spray also. He has charcoal masks but I think it would take dire circumstances for him to actually put one on.
    You have made me think about putting a few respirator masks in with his ‘supplies’ for the taxi. Thank you.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.