Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

Hello. I have only been a lurker here for a short while and have decided to join and take the course (I dont usually spend money to learn things on the internet as I prefer to trawl through google, hey it is less expensive ;) ) but I felt this site and the advice I have read is realistic and worth my money ;) ( I do not wink much in real life, but online… ).
    I live in Australia with my hubby (not at all interested in prepping, that he talks about at any rate) when I bring the subject of prepping he rolls his eyes and says you just have to be able to adapt and not get bogged down in plans. I however LIKE plans. I can discard them at a moments notice but they comfort me. We have 7 children and five are still dependent on us (the other two think they are not). I have been semi prepped since 2006, I just ‘felt’ as though I should start. So i collected information and some food but other supplies I have very little of. I have started to get a decent first aid kit organised but really at the moment if everything fell apart tomorrow the medical side of things would be exhausted in no time at all.
    I am currently collecting medical information as I think my ‘thing’ seems to be pandemic prepping. Though War, total economic collapse and even the end of the world as we know it are things I think about. I dont consider my self a doomsday prepper but someone who ‘hopes for the best, but expects/prepares for the worst’.
    My father and brother inlaw have prepped fully for TSHF since2000/ 2012. A few neighbours are still old school and I am sure they have a good supply of many things. The rest are young (I am 35, i consider myself young ;) ) and only seem to care about fun. If the power went off today they would be useless. Ok I am rambling. I do that. Sorry.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Emjay!
    I am glad you joined our community, I am sure you gonna find lot of good advices here ,and contribute too.

Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

Thank you for the welcome.
    I have read a few topics here and everyone here has had some great tips/opinions and now I have joined I can follow the links and attachments too. In fact it was one members post about his medical supplies I read a few weeks back that got me really thinking about mine, and how much trouble we would be in if it all went to hell and a post/comment on how important hygiene is! I fear I shall be learning more from those here than the otherway around. I do look forward to contributing if I can.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi Emjay! Never to early to start prepping. Im also in my thirties and think most people just need time or responsibility (like you have with your family) to start considering the bigger picture and that we are alone and the system is not going to help us when things get tough!

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hi Emjay, Welcome to the forum.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hi Emjay,
    I think with 7 kids you would like http://thesurvivalmom.com/ site as well. She also has a good book.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome emjay, I love to see younger people start down this prepper road. It give me hope for the future. Sometimes it has seemed as if its only us aging Baby Boomers that can see where we’re headed.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Good day ! Welcome Emjay from the land down under :)

Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome, Emjay! In my short time here have realized there is a lot of information available from all different perspectives, and everyone is very willing to help. My hubby doesn’t prep either, and it’s been great having a group to bounce ideas off of – one can never have too much knowledge! I look forward to seeing your contributions in the forums. :)

Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

Hello all. Thank you for the welcome! I have read a lot of survival type blogs and it is good that now I can now bounce ideas of others without a little joke cracked here and there at my prepping. :) I often say the writing is on the wall, but most people do not see it. I find the older generations see it but the younger ones are too reliant on government etc.
    It is good to know I am not the only person whose spouse doesn’t prep either Amanda1.
    Thank you for the survivalmom link 74. I do read her blog and I have considered the book.I really enjoy backwoodshome. I am pleased to be here and after this welcome I will not be shy to comment on the forums.
    Also, I apologise for not following the post criteria, I am still figuring this out. :)

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Emjay – welcome aboard! Glad to see you finally took the plunge for Selco’s course. Hope that we can give you the information that you might need and the encouragement to keep going in the face of adversity! Also look forward to what you will learn on your own and can pass to us during your journey.

No worries on the profile post – I did the same thing, ha! K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

Hello again. I have been absent for a while but have come back to excitedly inform you all that hubby has come home from his night shift driving taxis insisting we start prepping for tough times. I know he is purely thinking of the Ebola outbreak but it is music to my ears and I am taking it! I shall insist he reads the posts here. So yaaaay me.
    I had to tell someone and you all here are the only people I can think of, outside of my father and bro in law who would understand my relief, excitement.
    Cheers!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well thank heavens right emjay! And, hold him to it too. Without shooting yourself in the foot, sometime, remind him Ebola isn’t the only thing to prep for. Happy for you!

Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

Yes Tweva,
    That subject has been broached and he seems to have put a lot of thought in to it too. He told me we need a back up plan to staying in home and as he knows a lot of the area in forestry and close to the coast near us he has places in mind. Water sources and all sorts of things. I was even reprimanded for not having bought more respirator face masks. I will have to get used to this and not get irritated at him when he questions my planning ;) husbands! What you gonna do? Hehehe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.