Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

This past summer I purchased a Walmart brand (Ozark Trail) headlamp and found it to be even more useful than a flashlight. It is LED, and best of all has RED LIGHT. A majority of them do. Red light is a very nice thing to have, as it doesn’t harm your natural night vision as much as white light, and is less likely to attract unwanted attention due to its lower visibility.

Water resistant and proof models are in abundance, as these are obviously popular with spelunking (cave exploration).

What is so nice about an LED headlamp is that it leaves both hands free, and unlike a flashlight never has to be found by fumbling hands in the dark in your pocket, bag, or holster. This also means that a headlamp is a more efficient use of space… and in the event you want a flashlight, just take it off your head. I prefer ones that use AAA batteries as this will become my ‘standard’ battery much like 9mm and .223/5.56mm are my standard ammo.

The only con I can think of is that it can’t be used as a weapon like your classic mag-light, and that this can make wearing certain headwear difficult.

You can get some really nice ones for about $30, and the one I have is definitely adequate and only cost me $17 or so. The life on batteries is pretty good, sometimes better than flashlights if you go high-end.

Here is a good website with a huge selection of headlamps and some information.

http://www.rei.com/c/led-headlamps

This one is calling my name. (I would select the red/white LED version)

http://www.rei.com/product/865338/princeton-tec-remix-led-headlamp

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I have one with a band across the top. I wan’t sure I like it but found it really helps keep the light in place. Plus the head band isn’t required to be as tight so it is more comfortable then my previous models that came without the extra band.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Being as avid a hunter and outdoorsman as I am, I use headlamps all the time. Throughout the years I have found that I need to keep 2 types on hand.

1) Cheapo Energizer or such with 4 LEDs for working on things like vehicles.
    2) A nice headlamp like my Black Diamond I have. It is something like 160 lumens for white light and also has a red lamp installed as well. The red is useful when trudging through the woods in search for your hunting spot. Not sure why Amazon has it under review.. I have 2 of these and love them.

No matter what type you get or how many you get, these devices are great.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I also own some, they are great for all types of work jobs. When you are working on the car or in the attic you need your hands at all times.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks for sharing links. I always keep an eye out for quality headlamp at good price point. We use them camping and hunting and when electrical grid goes down due to weather etc. I keep a headlamp in our car emergency kit as well as our bug-out-bags.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Got laughed at when I bought mine. Then the power went out. Guess who ordered one for his wife when the power came back on. Just as useful indoors as outdoors. Keep one in nightstand drawer.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

That is great Roadracer, wife must light up your face every time the light go out! I have not given on to the wife but I have lite up her face when the light go out and she will tell me off.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I found an led beanie. It keeps my ears warm while being unobtrusive until needed. Takes two 2032 batteries. Bright light. Its good enough for what its for. That is…for when you don’t have a better one handy. Powercap. When its really cold I put my wool beanie on and then the powercap over it. Double insulation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.