Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

By Evan Marshall

The ability to stop a fight with a handgun bullet is often a difficult goal to achieve. However, the ability to select ammunition designed to protect both officers and citizens is too critical a task to rely on artificial test mediums in sterile lab environments. Such test mediums have value, but unlike the human body, they are a homogeneous substance that offers the same ballistic resistance throughout. Humans, however, offer varying levels of resistance and as such a homogeneous test medium cannot offer us the level of confidence that the collection as the study of actual shootings will. This study shows the results of thousands of actual shootings.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=4593

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

GS,
    I’m glad you found it useful. I have a S&W J frame 38 that was my main carry for years. But way things have changed most times I carry a 9mm with 15+1 and a spare mag in my edc. I’m going to change up my ammo through.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Something very odd has been going on with my SHTF account today. I tried to post something in the “Turkey shoots down Russian jet” thread, noticed a typo and wanted to clarify a sentence, tried to edit it, and it entirely disappeared into deep cyberspace, never to be seen again (even though I could sign in). Subsequent attempts to re-post were entirely unsuccessful. So, I came here just to try a minor edit of my post to which you replied, just to see what would happen in a different thread, and it also simply disappeared altogether. Hours later, I’ve been able to finally post what I intended to the the “Turkey shoots down…” thread, so I at least wanted to explain your response to my now non-existent post that used to be above. Dunno what happened.

I’ll end by reposting what I basically remember saying originally. It was surprising just how much the odds go up of REAL stopping power from .32s, .38s, and .380s, vs. the 9mm. Even range rounds (115 gr FMJ) in 9mm do better than virtually all of those other three rounds (only barely equaled by the two best of the .380 rounds). It significantly narrowed down my wife’s search for her “perfect” personal choice. She has the luxury of being able to put ‘em where she wants ‘em with just about anything, but has never yet found what she actually LIKES. (She’s been shooting since she was 7 years old, taught by her father who could knock match heads off at 50 feet, himself being taught by his father, who could strike those matches at 50 feet – quite literally. Anyone would severely underestimate my wife just by visual impression, hah hah! – Probably a major advantage for her.)

Again though, thanks for the original post. VERY helpful to this family.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

GS,
    At one time or another most forum members have experienced the same problem. Never saw an explanation.

Looking at the data the 9mm only gets good marks with +p+. Those are pretty snappy rounds in a small poly gun. I wonder which models are rated for +p+ or are they all at this point? If I had no other considerations beside stopping power I’d go with a 357 Sig. But that’s not the case.

The fact is I can’t afford thousands of the best bullets for every caliber in the house so if push comes to shove someone could endup getting shot with hard cast wadcutters. They tend to make 2 holes.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Shot placement is (almost) everything, after all.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

If you go paruse the stopping power.net forum, you can see what Marshall and others have come up with in the 11 years since this.

Like it or not, his and Sanows data were some of the best looks at handgun effectiveness. And the data was corroborated by Ayoob and Fairburn in other studies.

And what it basically boils down to is carrying an effective gun with a decent jhp.
    Hit em until they stop.
    Don’t cheap out on quality of gun or ammo.
    What’s your families lives worth?

Then it comes to your effectiveness, are you up to the challenge?

The times and players are changing.
    They’re working out and ready, are you?

Ever fight a meth head?
    I have, it wasn’t pretty, for either of us.

So many talk about specialty gear such as plate carriers and masks when they don’t even have their daily fighting gear down or the ability to use that gear.

And the chances of you wearing that plate carrier into the 7-11 where you’re most likely to need it???

Time to look at realistic carry choices, guns and ammo, and personal skills.
    If you’re not in shape to fight for your life, you likely may end up in one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.