Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Hand Sanitizer Gel Recipe

2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol
    1/3 cup plain aloe vera gel
    8-10 drops essential oil, optional (consider ones that have additional anti-sceptic properties i.e. lavender, thyme, clove, cinnamon leaf, peppermint etc.)
    bowl
    spatula
    funnel
    plastic bottle with pump or squirt top (cleaned)

Pour in ingredients
    Mix
    Funnel into clean bottle
    Voila!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Gypsy, I will try this. I grow aloe all over my yard. I have over fifty.
    So I will try to see if it works with just the aloe tree, will report back once I do this.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Lucky man you are!! I have to buy the gel from the drugstore. My little plant isn’t big enough to harvest. lol

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes I use it for drinks with a little lime and also use it for burns. I am growing pineapples have about 30 right now, grow oranges, lime, lemon, grapefruit, sour oranges, bananas, star fruit, tomatoes, squash the small ones, potatoes. From end of Nov to end of March I am able to grow spinach, many type of lettuce, and peppers.

I want to buy an avocado tree, and mango tree we will see.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Gypsy –
    Thanks for the mixture!
    ———————

Oh Freedom – be sure and get a dwarf mango. I had a huge one in my yard back in FL – darn thing was dangerous! Fruit so big when it fell off tree it could hurt you if it hit your head! Couldn’t sit under tree when fruit was ready. Uh. Hated that thing!

I miss star fruit! Loved it. Too expensive up here if you can find. Makes great jelly.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, will do the dwarf mango. I also got a Cocktail tree that has Ruby red grapefruit, navel orange, ponkan tangerine, Minneola tangelo, Meyer lemon, Persian lime, it is giving fruit right now.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Oh tweva, about the star fruit I just love them cut up and the tree gives so many.

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Another way to go about this is to make you own Calcium acetate gell (which is what a lot of the commercial sanitizers [and some gell fuels] are).
    Sound scary ? It’s not!
    1. Clean dry and powder eggshells
    2. Fill a jar with the strongest vinegar [ACETIC] acid that you can find or make
    3. Add egg shell powder to the vinegar and shake well – leave it several days and watch it dissolve.
    4. Repeat step 3 until no more egg shell will dissolve in the vinegar and leave it to settle.
    5. Pour of the clear[ish] vinegar liquid and filter through a paper towel or coffee filter.
    6. Dry/evapourate the filtered liquid in a small dish – it will leave a powder behind; this is you calcium acetate.
    7. Add the highest strength alcohol you can get or make to the dry powder a little at a time and stir – it will form a gell you can use in a small stove or use as a hand sanitizer.

Note: the more alcohol you add the thinner the gell, also, the more water that is in the alcohol (ie the weaker the strength of your alcohol) the the thinner and runnier the gell will be.
    If you can get Tea Tree oil or some other antibacterial essential oil you might add a few drops of that to your hand sanitizer (depending on your preference and OPSEC[smell carries]).

With the right oils in it, it can serve a double duty as an insect repellant too!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Frozenthunderbolt- Thanks for that – I’m going to try that this week. I love adventures in chemistry!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I will try all of this. My wife already has plans to get into soap making and more. These are fantastic recipes!

Another way to go about this is to make you own Calcium acetate gell (which is what a lot of the commercial sanitizers [and some gell fuels] are).

Many commercial products can be replaced by homemade products. Where did you learn that from?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.