Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hackers Penetrate Power Plants: New Cyber Weapon Infects Power Plant Control Systems:

Well this is more of the same news that 74 has reported in other post here on the forum. I you can see this is real, we need to get ready for this. Remember that a cyber attack is not the same as an EMP because cars and trucks still work so many from the cities will travel out to the rural areas looking for food and to get away from the cities.

http://offgridsurvival.com/hackers-penetrate-power-plants-new-cyber-weapon-infects-power-plant-control-systems/

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

My question reflects a comment made by one of the comments on the article… if terrorists can hack our grid, what are they waiting for??? By all accounts they should have destroyed us by now. I don’t get it. (Yes, I am aware that the hackers in the article were Russians, but individual terrorists have hacked before.)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whiteknight,
    Timing is everthing. Everyone is testing their “equipment” & plans. If I was going to conduct such a act (which I’m not) it would have the most effect during certain conditions when demand was paramount.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I agree with 74, some of these terrorist love the timing or dates. They may have it all planned out already.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I agree with 74 and freedom. The summer is not an ideal time anyway. For maximum chaos, such an attack would occur on a weekday when kids are in school (including kids away at college) and Mom and Dad are at work. It being greatly winter would add to the impact. It wouldn’t be on a Friday either or around a holiday when there wouldn’t be as many business travelers flitting all around the country. Just an ordinary day where everyone is going about normal life. The grid goes down and everyone in the family is in a different place. You are 20 or 30 miles away from home at work, your spouse is on a business trip or at a conference out of State and your 3 kids are in 3 different schools. As freedom notes terrorists do seem to like dates that have significance of some sort. The trick then is thinking through what days might have significance while still meeting the criteria for maximum chaos. That is easier said than done because the significance may not be apparent until afterwards. For example 9/11 may have been a play on “For emergencies dial 911″.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes MountainBiker it will not be easy but we do need to be on the lookout for the numbers game they play. I also agree that it will be on a weekday and not a weekend. I have had meetings with the family on this subject to let them know that when SHTF it will be 90% on a weekday. They also love holidays since everyone is out away from there homes.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

I not saying it’s not possible, but it is not going to be easy. Power plants have upgraded their Distributed Control Systems to systems that are physically isolated from utility networks. They can not be accessed from the outside, not even from corporate networks. This is by government edict. I am not familiar with the Transmission and Distribution side of the equation. If there is going to be a cyber attack, that is where it could come from, since systems are so interconnected.

The utilities that were my customers were absolutely paranoid about this. The testing was extensive and relentless. Audits are done once the systems were installed, and the systems automatically logged any changes in the software.

Once again nothing is impossible, though the safeguards around these systems are huge. Hope it gives everyone some level of comfort.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

+1 WhiteKnight and RoadRacer

I work in the industry. All of this EMP stuff we have been seeing in the last 2-3 years is because they are dealing with the shortcomings. The fixes are simple, yet so much work is needed. A “grid” is a big antenna for EMP and solar flare activity anyway. More on that some other time! ;)

As for a cyber attack, RoadRacer pretty much hits the nail on that.
    However, I do agree, timing is everything for terror attacks.
    Maximum Chaos is what gets these pukes all worked up and gets them off…

Being in the industry for nearly 30 years, I also predicted Y2K would be a big buildup and a huge letdown :D

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@Freedom:

Your weekday theory makes some sense, a lot in fact. But here is the past track record for Bank Holidays:

Weekends and Holiday Weekends.

Most likely, SHTF will be triggered by an economic stressor, but that does not mean the banks will not wait until the weekend to shut down. There will be a bank holiday (shutdown) associated with SHTF, but it may not be made to appear to be the cause of the societal breakdown.
    So, in short, here’s what all of that means:

1. SHTF could be any time, but if TPTB starts it (most likely) it would be max disruption, on a weekday. Then the banks could have a “long weekend”.

2. If an economic event pops up without a disaster, look for it on a holiday (long) weekend and/or any weekend, then banks are closed for extra days. Greece, Cypress, all were test runs for the “Big One” and afaik, all were on weekends. That is the “prevailing wisdom” at silverdoctors, at least :D

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

undeRGRond, you are right! The government will close down the financial sector (all banks) before there is a financial collapse. Everyone will be asking what happen! And one or two days latter in the news will report the financial collapse.

I see financial collapse as the number one SHTF, and number two is EMP.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Agree economic collapse now appears to be the primary SHTF scenario. Through out history conventional warfare has seen a technological shift change the balance of power. For example the English Longbow took everyone else by surprise.

I suspect cyber warfare might be that change. Stand off and cripple your enemy without putting your assets in harms way. Weaken someones economy to the tipping point, and then attack their infrastructure when they are too weak to fight back. Have no idea how the scenario plays out. Does the attacked county start throwing missiles? Will they even know who to shoot the missiles at? What about alliances like NATO?

Any thoughts on if this makes sense?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Road,
    Lots of variables to consider. A direct attack on the US would require all means available.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

My maximum chaos effect by attacking on an ordinary weekday while schools are in session is if an external party (China, Russia, terrorists etc) is attacking the US. If the economy is about to collapse and TPTB need a bank holiday, then it would involve a weekend or holiday.

I think the risk of a massive cyber attack is growing while not discounting the possibility of biowar either. Of course it doesn’t have to be an either/or scenario. It can be multiple angles of attack.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

There is so much going on with the ME, Terrorism and all but, the Chinese military openly talk about war with the USA and their build up is designed with that in mind. http://www.omegashock.com/2014/04/10/china-plans-extermination-of-us-emp-attack-from-north-korea/

From 2013: http://beforeitsnews.com/war-and-conflict/2013/11/chinese-govt-publishes-us-nuke-plans-2449346.html

Old but very interesting & frightening: http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-8-8/31055.html

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t think a cyber attack will have a direct country link, they will have a group like Al Qaeda or a North Korean link. Even if China, Russia, Iran or any other country does it they will have it linked somewhere else.

We will not have somewhere to attack. If this is done(cyber attack) the country or group will make it very hard for us to track.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.