Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hello everyone.

Thought I’d mention a couple of things have been investigating/doing lately for you to think about. (The farm is in full swing, almost hard to find time to breath! Haha)

An old friend, former special forces, came to visit over Memorial Day weekend. It had been a long time since we had been able to meet face-to-face again. Anyway, while visiting it was very helpful to have him take a look at my place and give me his opinion on things he thought I should address here. I have no military training etc.. One of the interesting things he suggested was I consider the use of ‘guide wires’ – installing strong but thin wires in certain areas and travel ways around our place that might be needed/used to navigate and perform OPSEC around the place (or to flee) quickly and safely at night, SHTF time. I had never heard nor thought of this idea – maybe you all have – but thought to mention.

We have woods, a stream and some other areas where, at night, without night vision gear or if it is lost, the BEST place to travel for safety reasons and OPSEC there would be less danger of hurting oneself or divulging location by falling or crashing about unnecessarily if the way is lost, if a guide wire is unobtrusively installed ahead of time. This would allow us to locate the wire easily while remaining on the path or travel way where the dodgey areas begin, and sliding the hand along it to guide us more swiftly and safely through these areas. He felt the opportunity existed for difficulty enough that he thought it would be worth the while to install. Which, happily, he helped me do.
    One of the areas is leading up to where it is best to cross the stream, which can be almost dry sometimes in summer and the banks and large rocks and stuff exposed in the stream bed. We installed them shortly before, over and for a bit after the stream crossing. Now I could quickly and safely find the exact best place to cross the stream. Another place is where I have created a quicksand ‘haha’. He felt, if we were under stress, in a hurry and in the dark we might miss the turn away from it – and land ourselves in our own quicksand pit! A few other places like that. You don’t notice these places unless you know they are there and looking for them.

Now, along with that he suggested we consider doing something else. Practice blindfolding yourself! Yep. In fact, to show me the usefulness of the guide wires, he blindfolded me one night, set me at the beginning of the stream area guide wire and told me to cross the stream. It was a bit nerve wracking at first but I did it and I quickly saw his point of the wires. If you trust the wire, even with eyes shut if you allow your feet to just walk – it makes it so much simpler.

Together with that he suggested in general practicing blindfolding yourself in your house. He said, basically, you will come to have more heightened awareness of your place, the normal sounds, and learn to count steps around your place; so that by counting your steps even in the dark, you will know almost exactly where you are within it. He thinks this is important because some night you might find yourself needing to move and move quickly about your house without aid of any light. there was more to it – but I’m sure you get the idea.

FWIW thought I’d post that.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Be well everyone. Selco, thanks for providing the opportunity for all to meet, discuss and help each other weather the coming storms. I’m sorry that I don’t feel the need to vent and comment on each and every news topic of the day. Thanks to everyone for their advice and encouragement. Again, be well everyone! Bless us all.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

tweva, how much distance are we talking about here that you’ve added wires to?

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

two things enemy see wire knows your path tracking you easy as pie. if you are blind you are dead plain and simple blind man in war is not a tenable situation.

you need to train for bug out, replacing training with prop is a sure fail always

do the trip at night timed with gear different moon phases. make sure you have scent blockers incase of dogs.

second cache incase you leave with nothing but your empty gun and underwear and boots.

would put some noise makers on trail so you can tell how far be hind they are and if you want to go so far some prepared slowdowns you can arm on way out, never leave an armed trap it is recipe for disaster if you have to go through territory. remember why land mines are called area denial weapons and why they are banned.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    Thanks for bringing this up. Addressing Namlus comments.

“enemy see wire knows your path tracking you easy as pie. if you are blind you are dead plain and simple blind man in war is not a tenable situation” namelus

Cutting the wire after you pass would make following the wire much more difficult.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

None of the wires is longer than 10′ – most are much shorter. They are at hip height and sprayed brown and dull green. There are also several ‘touchstones’ in the ground (rocks that slightly raised but you wouldn’t trip on them) immediately before the beginning of the wires that let you know when you are about to reach where a wire starts. Thanks 74 for the suggestion. I really don’t think, unless someone is highly trained, the wires are noticeable at all. I surely don’t see them in broad day light; and, I know where they are. There are no ‘trails’ per se on my farm…just narrow ;paths’ where major impediments have been removed. The easier/larger pathways are for intruders that funnel them to certain places.

Namelus I agree – to practice in different conditions is key. But, I have learned a great deal already doing things and moving about in the house and on my farm with a blindfold on and think I will keep it up. It is definitely making me pay more attention to my hearing – and my breathing – not to mention I ‘see’ my farm in an entirely new way.

The other thing my friend suggested and helped us do was to finally help me come up with a way to ‘cover’ the pond and large fields at the back of the property. This photo is old and blurry but it explains it better. The property is deep. This shows the main barn. It is actually facing the back main part of the property and is higher than the rest of the property. The ‘wall’ you see in the center of the picture is made of timbers and is about 14′ high in places. It is made of 1′ timbers. It was needed to create a competition level riding ring. Behind it is basically compacted gravel, stone chips and sand. From the ring you can see everything but what is in the woods at the back of the property. We dugout/then cut out and reinforced several areas in the upper part of the ‘wall’ to create doors/ports we can see out of and shoot through if needed/time comes to it.Just have to dig out the sand to make a trench to utilize it. It was so very helpful to have my friends advice and help. Words can’t say what I learned. I’m just a girl and wasn’t trained to have war games sort of thoughts!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    Ha, you have a trained mind! No one but informed persons will know why short sections like that are there. I’ve been caught on wire a few times and it is a nasty surprise when it happens. Make sure your friends all know where it is located. Even at hip height it can throw you down if your running and hit it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.