Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of magellan2004
    magellan2004
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I’m not sure how many of you have an active group of people whom you prep with but for those of you who do I wanted to touch on group makeup, group member specialization, and cross training. I was very fortunate to be friends with a number of friends with very diversified back grounds and specialties, but that’s not enough. If we had SHTF before we started having frequent meetings we would still have been in the dark. In my group we have a trauma surgeon, a respiratory therapist, combat medic, welder, machinist, mechanics, carpenters, electrician, many are avid gardeners, all are avid shooters and gun enthusiasts, Of this group 4 are combat veterans, our oldest member is even a Marine Recon, 2 are currently police officers, 1 is a corrections officer. It’s imperative that every member cross train with one another, you never know what can happen.
    With such a diversified group it was very important for us to identify which members we best suited for certain tasks should the worst case scenario happen. Many people think they are expert marksmen, but putting it on paper in various situations is essential. We have now identified who are best as sharpshooters, who are best in defensive positions, who are best as scouts, and who are best assisting others on crew served type weapons or other tasks. It’s also important to note that while the new holographic type sights (eotech type) look awesome they aren’t for everyone. I found that with my astigmatisms they are completely useless, I have since switched to a Burris Mtac on my M4. I plan on getting lasix surgery very soon, I now consider this to be an essential prep.
    It’s fair to say that everyone in my group has good gear, but having it and using it are different things entirely. There are many “highly recommended” items that I have since field tested and didn’t care for. Having the best gear or the best group in the world will do no good if you don’t meet up, break out the gear, share experiences, and get everyone on the same page.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I’ve made it a priority to befriend people who have a highly technical or valuable trade/skillset/knowledge. Personally I’m lacking in two major areas currently, being of an agricultural person (I want to be able to set up and run, efficiently, a small-medium scale ‘Old MacDonald’ style farm, if you get where I’m coming from on that) an a person with a high medical training (preferably an ER doc/nurse combo, and an army medic).

Currently to fill that gap I hold, I personally have some basic and intermediate first aid qualifications, as well as know EMT trained people. Also we’ve started some gardening, as well as have some friends who have chickens. I’d like to be able to get some chickens myself, as well as goats, rabbits, and a few other ‘Old MacDonald’ critters.

With regards to these people having specific/high level training, they obviously cannot pass on everything that they know. But, of course, they can transfer the key parts over to other people. Cross Training is a KEY. Say your only medical person gets killed, or cannot even get to your location, and you+your people are stuck without knowing how to do more than put on a band-aid, then you’re up sh*t creek without a boat, let alone a paddle.

I believe it was in the novel Lights Out, where the old farmer guy passes off what he knows to some of the people in their little community. That’s what we all need to do, and have done when possible.

Onto the weapons/equipment. Everyone should be on the same page with regards to weapons. If that isn’t possible because, say for example, the mechanic of your group cannot afford going with an AR-15 style rifle, then the next best option is a rifle that is cheaper (duh, Mr. Red), but it should use the SAME MAGS if possible. If that won’t cut it, next best thing is that it uses the same ammunition. That goes with sidearms as well. An example of this would be someone running an SU-16, or any other 5.56/.223 calibre rifle. (Or an SKS if your group rocks the AK platform).

Cheers mate, and hopefully the Lasik surgery does you good. Hopefully I can do that before the fan gets spattered with poopoo

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Magellan, I would say that you have pretty cool group there.
    There are experts in every field (in my group) but yes, all members need to have at least basic knowledge from any area.
    There is a army medic and nurse in group, but also every member need to know how to initially treat wound, or splint injured arm or similar.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Great suggestions. Sounds almost like the ideal group. I still struggle to find people in my area but given it is a pretty backwards area in South East Asia and the next supermarket is 40 minutes with the car away, most people around us know how to provide for themselves.

In terms of gear my goal is to learn to use the local tools and master them. What our neighbor can do with his flat head machete is pretty awesome, but he has worked with it since he was a child.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.