Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dabo
    dabo
    Survivalist
    member1

Say, aren’t you guys concerned about posting “profiles” on a public forum? I mean, The number one rule is “keeping a low profile” and NOT talking about yourself in the same sentence with the word, “prepper”…
    Just wondering, and will be interested in your responses…
    Kind Regards…
    Thanks! ;-)

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Greetings to you too Dabo!
    It is up to everyone to say anything about themselves, or not to say . Based on what I read there in most of the situations I could not see anything wrong (or possibly dangerous for anyone).

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

A fair question, that anyone should think for themselves about what they should do. I think being vague and not having anything personally identifying works pretty well.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of dabo
    dabo
    Survivalist
    member1

Your URL can be traced to you personally, a I understand it. That’s the concern… I’m thinking that posting your personal situation is a yellow line for the Federales to your front door.

For that reason, I consider myself an observer here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts so far.
    Learning curve…

Profile photo of Blades
    Blades
    Survivalist
    rprepper

If the government wants you, they will get you. In this day and age your fooling yourself if you think otherwise. You have already posted on the forum, you have been “flagged”. Post and enjoy the forum.

Profile photo of Blades
    Blades
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I’m not saying go crazy and post everything about yourself, because there are bad people in the world. Ask the Target customers, or any other website that has been hacked.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I agree with Blades here. It would make a difference if you never visited any preparedness related websites or even mentioned preparedness in emails. Keep in mind the government is filtering emails for suspicious words as well so the difference of posting public or sending an email does not really exist for them.

To hide your ip address you would also need a VPN or at least a proxy that the government has it a bit harder to see how often you access a certain website. You still have to trust the VPN provider of course that they do not keep logs or in case of using TOR you have to hope that you are not routed via bad nodes (some say that government agencies run some TOR nodes as well).

So you have basically two options. Completely stay offline and away from survival and preparedness related websites or gear up with VPN, proxies or use TOR and surf online like that.

If the government is after preppers they won’t look at vague profiles posted here, they will just get all records of your internet service provider and filter through what websites you have visited and how much time you spent there.

Given the NSA leaks, this process is most likely already automated and all major ISPs are part of this. I wrote a bit about this here: http://community.shtfschool.com/security/online-security-matters/

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Realistically, the .gov could care less that you picked up an extra 12 cans of beans on sale last weekend.

If they really wanted to find out who’s buying what, a subpoena for grocery stores, walmarts, and amazons sales lists would be much more effective.

Realistically, unless you’re doing something openly illegal, you have little to worry about.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

I have to agree with Jay and Whirlibird, if they wanted you they would have already come. They already have all your info, the moment you have bought something on line. That includes likely your banking info as well.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

When thinking about NSA remember this: Hoover and Singer.
    They have the biggest vacuum machine in the world and they sew everything together to reach a coherent goal.

Robin

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I think it would be a good weapon in their arsenal, if they were able to scare us so much about what they *might* do, that we’d refrain from congregating anywhere online or trying to connect with others who are forward-thinking. I don’t want to live with that sort of fear, myself. I protect my identity from general strangers as best I can (I’ve had an online stalker before, and it’s not an experience I’m eager to repeat), but if the powers that be want you, they’ve likely got you, so no point letting them win before they’ve won. :)

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

You get to choose what you share on the internet, what you tell as truth, or if you lie about certain things. Regardless, the .gov and anyone with computer prowess can find you, unless you too are of the high scale knowledge in the computer/internet world.

But as far as “I’m a prepper and I said something on an internet forum, the black helicopters are gonna swoop in and door kickers are gonna abduct me!!! HAAALP ME!” goes, we’re NOT living in some Tom Clancy (RIP) novel, nor is this a movie, or Afghanistan.

Is that to say that the .gov or someone hired by such WOUDLN’T come a’knockin for you? No. But it wouldn’t be just because you are a member of a website. Honestly, if they wanted you, it’d mean you’re up to something illegal (and, going out on a limb here, but I can’t see Selco and those who run this site would condone illegal activities, at least in a world where we still have laws).

But as I said, you choose what you say or don’t say. OPSEC is as tight or loose as you want it to be.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.