Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Wildartist here from Oklahoma. 71-yr-old lady, determined to survive, active in the outdoors, a professional wildlife/dog/sporting artist. Married to Bushrat, my best friend and hunting partner. He has been trying to keep me straight for over 20 years–Ha! But we know we have each other’s backs.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I’ve always had that mindset, grew up on a non-productive farm but spent most of my time in the woods, learning what grew and where, what could be eaten, etc. The Cuban missile crisis woke my family up to survival needs. So, it was a natural transition when Bushrat and I were married, to continue. The years in Alaska added to our experiences, and I’ve learned a lot from our mission work in India–learning how the poor survive there.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

Grew up poor and hungry. Don’t like it. Remember the day before Dad’s payday (he worked in town) we only had a few potatoes and dry milk powder with 5 of us children to feed. Mom was making mashed potatoes for supper, when she saw the cat coming in from the field with a quail in her mouth. She ran out and pried the bird from the cat’s mouth–so we had gravy that night. I remember the thumb-sized drumstick sitting in the pool of gravy on my potatoes, and was grateful. (My Dad refused to hunt because he loved animals…and he thought gardening was a waste of time. This never made sense. So I hunt, fish and garden.)

What scenario are you preparing for?
    Economic downspiral/breakdown with attendant societal breakdown.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

Do the best I can with what I have. Learn the local area including nearby woods/waters and analyze resources. Hunt, garden, barter, try to find like-minded people whom I can trust (NOT easy).

What matters for you?
    Hmmm…We have no children, and few relatives. But we are Christians who live for Him. Does this mean we escape suffering? NO. But He has always been with us through hell and back (especially the last 3 years of medical misery while Bushrat lost his legs.) So what matters is living life that honors Him. Does this mean we don’t defend ourselves? NO again. Jesus Himself said: …”But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag [BOB?]; and if you don’t have a sword [weapon], sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36
    I guess my first priority is making sure we are not over-run by marauders (Bushrat has a sign by our gate “Beware of Wife”) esp given our age and lesser physical abilities now…but if we must die I know where we are going.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

Most of Thomas Jefferson’s words about limiting government, which the USA has deleted from history books and the regime ignores totally. Similar wisdom from other Founding Fathers. Our guiding Bible verse: Proverbs 3:5,6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. (No matter how much you prep, life always takes an unexpected turn; make sure my ears are open to changes in plans that God has for us–the outcome is always better.)

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

One of Bushrat’s “battle buddies” used to say “take an honor guard with you…” But if death is imminent and inevitable, I would pray “Lord Jesus, forgive my sins and receive my spirit.”

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Very good introduction Wildartist, I am glad to have you here. Welcome!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

welcome Wildartist!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Welcome!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

welcome

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Great to have you here, Mrs. Bushrat! Welcome!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Oh Wildartist! Bushrat I am sure Bushrat feels as blessed to have met you as you him. What an extraordinarily full and interesting you have lived with your partner by your side. I have a feeling the two of you would be the most interesting people in a very crowded room. Welcome!

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Thank you, Selco and everyone. We followed your (Selco’s) blogs/videos on a previous forum and learned many things, especially regarding attitude and strategy. We are–unfortunately, due to circumstances of medical debts–on a small lot at the edge of a small city, but countryside/woods/creek within two blocks. And our low-income neighbors are largely unreliable and on the dole. Not the best situation. But being aware of our situation helps prepare our mindset for eventualities. We are honored to be part of this forum, since I feel we are getting factual information based on real-life experiences, not “reality show” based fantasy.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

And, yes, Tweva, Bushrat and I both know that it is God’s doing that brought us together. We are perfect for each other, as stubborn as each of us is (which causes a few sparks now and then), but basically we are in synch and sometimes finish each other’s sentences. We are alike in values and goals, yet complement each other as to planning/order/strategy (Bushrat) and quick adaptation/improvisation/creativity (myself). I refused to say “yes” to his marriage proposals until I spoke to his ex (who left him due to not enough ladder-climbing on his part, according to her private financial plan…). He agreed, with some trepidation. Her loudest complaint was: This man is obsessed with guns and the outdoors!!! Ha! I inwardly rejoiced. The personal adv that I had put in the paper, answered by Bushrat and several others, was headlined “OUTDOORSMAN WANTED”. :)

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Wildartist,
    So glad to have you here!
    I’m very excited to learn from you (and bushrat.)
    Welcome!
    Hannah

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.