Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I have a very simple diet and am not a foodie. Multiple hand surgeries require I ‘conserve’ my hands as much as possible.

Am not a huge bread fan, but it is a food ‘staple’ that I do make use of it my diet.And, I make bread every two days. In case you haven’t tried it yet, here is the fast ‘no-knead’ bread recipe that was featured in the NYT around 2006 that I use. It is fantastic bread and you can make variations of it by adding rosemary, garlic, onion, various cheeses – whatever. I don’t even make it in a covered container as the original recipe calls for – I just slap it on a cookie sheet (of course the bread isn’t very tall in the end but I don’t care either). Rather than type it all out for you follow this link for a blogpost on the original recipe and an alternative to using instant yeast (original recipe) vs active dry yeast. Print it out. This bread does not take all damn day to make either. Great in a cob oven. Try it – you’ll like it!

In SHTF, there will be an issue of having/knowing how to make your own yeast. Again, for simplicity here is a link to a post I found that was best for how to make yeast a couple of different ways. If you make kombucha, the principles will be familiar to you. I keep my starters in crocks in my pantry. Use potato and apple based fruit starter. Someone in your group should learn to make and keep/use these starters.

I grew up the first 14 years in Pennsylvania where a no yeast bread called salt-bread was very popular. Actually it was/is very popular throughout the Appalachian region. I used to make it all the time but to save my hands (and I don’t like to endlessly hand crank a dough mixer) I switched to no-knead. But, people love this bread although it is a bit tricky to get used to making and can have a funky smell when initially getting it started. Does makes fabulous toast. Anyway, here’s a link to it. You might want to try it out if you ever have spare time. Click here.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Ah ! Thank you so much, Tweva.

Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

Fantastic information, thanks for sharing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.