Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“I see a nightmare”

If the US were to break into smaller regional entities there will be wide spread failure of civility. It wouldn’t be like CW1 in 1860, it will be like 2015 in Syria. Forget about laws, corporations and electricity.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

74 gets it.

I love the FANTASY of someplace seceding, and have said I’d move there in a heartbeat. But that’s entirely fantasyland stuff, and I’ve known it even when I’ve engaged in the hyperbole.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

74 & GS…………..Really ? ………….we are preppers ……………what do you think is going to happen when the economy takes a crap ? and it will . The US as a whole will not survive another 100 years . Revolution , or a break up is the end result , it is possible to break away from the mother land peacefully .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

GS, 74, Tolik, you are all right. There is no orderly way for the country to break up into multiple countries. Everything is too integrated. Only an all on economic collapse (not a mere depression such as in the 1930’s) or a Civil War (which would bring on an all on collapse) could do it. So again I come back to that with a Constitutional Convention there is at least a chance of success. With Civil War II will only come death and destruction with it being far from assured that anything good would arise from the ashes.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,
    The reason I say that is because the urban have nots can’t survive without the aid of rural America. When a split occurs it will be on those lines. There will be fighting for resources, food, energy, etc. The country is divided between producers of real hard goods, and non producers and service providers. People that use natural resources to make a product generate real wealth. Everyone else uses that wealth in a merry go round monopoly game. The government added money to the game to keep everyone playing. When that stops and the money dries up the urban poor will be desperate without food. Then civility will fail.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

The reason I say that is because the urban have nots can’t survive without the aid of rural America.

I had to chuckle out loud on that one, 74. It sounds a whole lot like one of the two major reasons for the War of Northern Aggression – the remains of the United States would have had a very, very difficult time had the South taken its cotton and mills and went off independently. What goes around comes around, I guess.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

MB, note that I originally said that I “reluctantly” disagreed. I sincerely do hope that if a Con-Con takes place that it is well controlled and successful in its outcome – I truly do. And Tolik is right – “we are preppers.” That’s why we do what we do – to hopefully do more than just bare survival (but even that at times, perhaps). I just hope and pray that it doesn’t come to the nightmare scenario; I also just don’t have much optimism in that regard. I support a well-constructed Convention (and outcome) IF we end up having one, I’m just not optimistic. And if one is had and it goes poorly, it would accelerate the demise of the U.S. dramatically (though in many respects I believe the concept of a constitutional republic is already dead anyway).

We shall see what we shall see, and can only hope and pray for the best.

Profile photo of Corvus
    Corvus
    Survivalist
    member4

If ever Texas did become its own republic again, I would hope native born Texans would be provided with the first chance to have a “right -of-return,” before others started rolling in droves to cross its many miles of northwestern, western, southern, northeastern borders. I can imagine people demanding to be let in as a new citizen while never having studied Texas history or culture. Nations are not sacrifice free zones and honestly, most people I have ever meet in the USA born since the end of the Second World War are not big on giving up and going without, unless it’s a fad diet or a dead end job. ( or a sad marriage ).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Corvus Corvus.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Corvus, whether people want to get into Texas or not would depend upon whether it is a better deal than some other place. Texas being independent does not automatically make it a better choice. I have enjoyed the boldness and brashness of Texas from afar but I could never live there myself. Just not my style. I do understand your concern though. I have a similar fear that hordes of people from Metro NYC, New Jersey, & Connecticut would want to move up here. No doubt folks in NH & Maine would want to keep the hordes from Metro Boston out. Like you, much of the issue is cultural.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

This is very true indeed ! It would depend on what kind of government they adopt , and the day to day life , its possible that people could be leaving in droves also if they did it wrong .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thomas Sowell

‘Messing With the Constitution’

“In recent years, a small but growing number of people have advocated a convention of states to propose amendments to the Constitution of the United States. The reaction to the proposal has been hostile, out of all proportion to either the originality or the danger of such a convention.

The political left has been especially vehement in its denunciations of what they call “messing with the Constitution.” A recent proposal by Governor Greg Abbott of Texas to hold a Constitutional convention of states has been denounced by the Texas branch of the American Civil Liberties Union and nationally by an editorial in the liberal “USA Today.”

The irony in all this is that no one has messed with the Constitution more or longer than the political left, over the past hundred years.”

Please read the full article here:

http://www.creators.com/print/conservative/thomas-sowell/messing-with-the-constitution.html

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

I have great respect for Thomas Sowell, and have referred to him many times on the SHTF Forum. I’ll think some more about it, but am not ready to jump on board simply despite my respect for Dr. Sowell. My reasons are fully outlined earlier, and at least for now, still stand.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.