Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Interesting MountainBiker. I do think a higher ranking needs to be given to states that you don’t need a license. Florida you need one to carry so I was thinking were does it rank at. I would think somewhere in the middle, am I right?

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

FL appears to be in the top 25% so pretty good overall. On the license issue, if the current crop in the Statehouse can authorize people to be licensed, the next one can take it away. That’s why I think State Constitution protection is superior. The VT State Constitution pre-dates the Bill of Rights & 2nd Amendment.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

freedom wrote:

Hey does anyone here have a link to the state rankings?

Here’s perhaps the most up to date, but it fails M.B.’s test (and he makes good points)

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-states-for-gun-owners-2014/

17. Vermont
    Right-to-Carry: 9
    MSRs: 10
    Class 3/NFA: 9
    Castle Doctrine: 9
    Miscellaneous: 7
    TOTAL: 44

Vermont’s ranking this year is likely to ruffle some feathers. While Vermont is a great state for gun owners by New England standards, it is not the pro-gun utopia plenty of folks purport it to be. Vermont essentially has an absence of firearm regulations, which is as it should be — “Vermont-style carry” is the goal of many states across the nation. However, If one looks deeper into the culture of the state, Vermont can’t measure up to some of its neighbors to the South and West. For starters, lack of suppressor ownership takes the state down a peg in the NFA category. A variety of shooting range protection statutes are on the books, but many residents who have relocated from neighboring states vocally resent the location of ranges that have been in operation for decades. Vermont’s “Act 250” growth-management statute can make range improvements difficult, if not impossible which puts ranges in peril. Finally, if you’re a Vermonter and want to visit nearby states besides New Hampshire, you must pass through a gauntlet of oppressive gun laws before you reach the freedom of the rest of the nation

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-states-for-gun-owners-2014/#ixzz3CaZirIzn

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

underRGRond, Act 250 is not specific to gun ranges. It applies to any commercial development and subdivisions in the State, What VT did decades ago was decide to protect the look and feel of VT so as not to be like the rest of the Northeast. Tourism is the largest industry here. Agriculture and Forestry related industries are the next biggest. Act 250 may not be a hit with certain developers but it has served the interests of VT reasonably well. There are no billboards cluttering up the roadways and VT is the only State in the Eastern US that has agricultural resources sufficient to feed its own population. That’ll be a good thing when the SHTF. It is true that affluent transplants from other States (MA/NY/CT/NJ) sometimes resent VT”s lack of gun laws and don’t like having gun ranges for neighbors. Where it has been a problem is not so much with actual gun ranges which they can’t close down but rather with informal shooting spots that locals used. The reality is I can legally shoot in my backyard anytime I want whether my neighbors like it or not, but those informal shooting areas start to blur the line of landowner use vs gun clubs. My understanding is that the suppressor ban was to address illegal hunting. I’ll grant that’s a negative but I’ll take our State Constitution guaranteeing gun rights and our lack of licensing requirements over suppressors any day. To each his own on that one. Personally I think that 17th place ranking has a component of the current political divide in the country in it. In 2013 Guns and Ammo ranked VT #2 and this year we’re down to #17??? I’m guessing giving such a high score to a Blue State didn’t sit well with some being it doesn’t fit the agenda. That’s what I immediately thought when I saw the author grasping at straws trying to link Act 250 to gun clubs. It is also true that Vermonters must travel through NY to get anywhere outside of New England and that Southern New England (MA/CT/RI) is also decidely gun-unfriendly, thus leaving us with only NH as a friendly neighbor. For sure that’s an issue for some but I believe those that want to carry out of State get Florida licenses. My gun club just did a program for members looking to get their Florida licenses. As an aside, my gun club is in a residential neighborhood across the road from the high school athletic fields, and they have no problems with the town.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

From the US Army:

https://info.publicintelligence.net/USArmy-Megacities.pdf

A “boots on the ground” paper.
    Read the case studies that start on page 15.
    Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin, Just read it, very interesting. I saved it and will read this.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin, read this article, http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/2014/09/10/the-armys-plan-for-martial-law-carried-out-under-un-authority/

Looks like they are talking about the US Army doc!

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Freedom, I agree. The author does seem to pull on a bunch of strings. Not sure of the bottom line of the article.
    Robin

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.