Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Got lucky today.

Was driving home from town. Had the wife and boy with me, and we passed a neighbor that was moving and he was having a yard sale. Older fellow who had been there for years. Guy was almost an institution. I spied a barrel with all sorts of tools sticking out…

We stop and I picked through the tools. Amongst the more mundane stuff, I scored a double bit felling axe, a single bit felling axe and not one, but TWO Collins cruiser axes! Haven’t seen a cruiser axe in years, and then two fall into my lap. :) Edit: Just so you can hate my guts even more, I paid $30 for an armload of hand tools – including the axes, one rake, a hoe, a Mattock, etc…

Cruiser axes really aren’t meant for felling big trees – they’re usually carried by a scout who goes into the woods ahead of a cut crew and marks the trees with his axe. It’s smaller and lighter than a big double bit felling axe, but has the same blade geometry and is made of the same outstanding steel as the big felling axes. It can be used to fell trees, though. It’s small and light enough to pack with you when you bug out. It would be my choice during a bugout, over a single edge axe (this is apart from a tomahawk..)…

Those of you near Kentucky, we’re having The World’s Longest Yard Sale in early August on our local double A highway – 127. Highway 127 runs the length (North/South… not East/West) of Kentucky and everyone who lives on it will be setting out a table… there’s always good stuff…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Wow! Congrats Malgus! You scored nicely!

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Thank you, sir..

All the axe heads – and the mattock head – will need to be sand- or bead-blasted to get rid of 80 years of scale and rust, but the edges are intact. Two will have to be rehafted, but no bigs… well, okay, some bigs… One of the cruiser axes will need to be rehafted. Nobody I know is making handles for cruiser axes, sooo…. guess I gots to start lookin’ huh?

Still, I betcha someone out there is making them… they’re too good to just leave to rot.

To get an idea of scale, the larger axes in this collection (not mine) are felling axes. The smaller ones at positions #2 and #5 are cruiser axes. You can see how much smaller they are. Everything is downsized, but other than that, they’re identical to their bigger brothers… they’re not toys by a long shot.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Now I’m getting a bit envious. Just a little. I love a good axe/hatchet. My wife has fun with the fact that I rarely travel without one! Often a hatchet. Lots of occasions it’s been the right tool at the right time. Thanks for the pic–you’re set.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

chester,

Wasn’t my intention to make you envious… not dancing a little jig and saying “neener neener”… well, maybe a little… :)

Did some looking for you. Yes, cruiser axes are still made today. Gransfors Bruks still makes one, but it’s bucks. So does Velvicut. A cruiser axe has a head about 6″ long, give or take, and a weight of 2 to 2.5 lbs. If you can find an axe head on FeeBay that meets this criteria, then alls you need is a haft. And yes, they do still make cruiser hafts for these things… out of good old american hickory. You could put together a damn fine axe (Plumb, Kelly True Temper Flint Edge, Collins, etc) for about 50 bucks. Dress and stone the edges and stitch up a nice leather sheath for it… it would last 100 years, with care…

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

My birthday is coming up & your axe project sounds great. I can use a new axe. Price point is right on.

Thanks much.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.