Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Good one KOS. Now I’m sold on a 375 Ruger or 300 Remingtom Ultra Mag. <sarc>.
    His last point is a good very one.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks KOS! Great content … good piece on the M1 Grand. I like connecting history to the development of the technology. ‘Guns Germs and Steel ‘ is an audio book I listened to awhile back. Interesting thesis …don’t agree completely but he is on to something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

http://www.enotes.com/topics/guns-germs-steel

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

The terminal effect video made me feel more comfortable with my 10-22 ruger if the zombies come to the farm house.

Apparently a .22 or 9 mm wound to the arm/leg shatters bone producing secondary projectiles, and without modern medicine/surgery, your pretty much gonna lose your arm/leg.

But the way he described battle sights, and the way your supposed to aim for center mass because of the bullet curve… well that made me wish i wasn’t poor and could afford a level 3 plate… lol

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

KOS,
    With the 9mm I’d expect broken bone and chips. 22lr maybe, maybe not, depending on a whole host of factors. In truth more people die from 22lr than any other caliber, but then more are shot with 22 as well.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

KOS,
    That’s a .223 not a .22.

There’s a dramatic difference between the two.
    Bullet construction and velocity.

Without the velocity of the .223, the damage is more like an icepick drilling through. The difference in terminal effect from an M16A2 to the M4 is noticeable even with the same ammo.

Terminal effect comes from bullet mass (size) and velocity.
    Increase either and you increase effect, increase both, even better.

I’ve seen several deer with .22 bullets lodged under their hide. One I skinned had two bullets that had passed through ribs and lungs to stop under the far side hide. I can’t say how long the animal had lived after being shot, but it was long enough for the wounds to scar over, the lungs to heal and the ribs to not show more than a hole.

My bet, at least a year.

I would use a .22 in an emergency, but the targets you are considering are the size of ping pong balls. Eyes, temples, solar plexus, etc. The .22 is an experts gun in this instance.

With the 9mm, you are depending on both velocity and bullet construction for effect. Ball ammo reeks at best.
    High end jhps, 1250fps or so, highly expansive, you can shatter bones, but not the same way that even the lowly .30 Carbine with jhps will do.

If you’re going to use a rifle, use a rifle.
    There is a reason, actually a number of them that most SWAT teams and other cutting edge groups have largely dropped the 9mm funs for .223, but the biggest is terminal effect.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Kos, Looking at the numbers it’s easy to see the difference between the 2 cartridges. The 223/5.56 has 10 times the energy of a 22lr.

Muzzle Energy
    5.56: 62 gr SS109 FMJBT 3,100 ft/s- 1,303 ft·lb
    22lr: 40 gr Solid 1,200 ft/s – 104 ft·lb

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Yep yep, understand all.

The main reason I am so in love with the 10-22 is the 100 round drum clip and the accuracy. The trench warfare video in regards to ww1 talked a lot about rate of fire and magazine capacity for close range fighting against multiple hostiles.

Theres no doubt in my mind that hitting a dollar size target within 100 yards is not something everyone can do consistently. But I can certainly do it at 50 yards consistently free standing, and maybe 20% at 100 yards from sitting or prone (stationary targets of course, and still hitting the pie plate). For some reason only with open and peep sights, I am terrible with a mounted scope.

The recoil is so low i have no issues changing and sweeping multiple targets and burning a clip either. The trick is pulling the trigger at the right moment, obviously *chuckle*. Had to show my dad this with pine cones at 50 yards before he would believe it. If I ever get my hunting number *shakes fist* chicken hunting should be a lot of fun next year.

I have no idea, if .22 HP is better or worse for de zombies but i would imagine there is more bone damage if it connects.

In any event like the guy in the video said, all weapons have ups and downs, no weapon does it all, which is why the leader and the team are so important.

Gotta wonder tho, does the m16 have a higher velocity and smaller round because of all the foilage during the veitnam war? was that the idea?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Actually the M-16 pre-dates Vietnam.

It was an adaptation of the Remington .222 and .222 Mag cartridges.

Flat shooting, high capacity, accurate, with a light gun, what’s not to like.

The Air Force originally got them, for security work, their M-1 Carbines weren’t as good as other guns for guarding planes and such.

The Army ‘borrowed’ some and they were popular at least until after they were adopted and the ammo debacle.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.